Laundry Room Moves

dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
hey people:seriously people:Unless we agree otherwise: If you're not in the laundry room, I'm skipping to any "OFF" machine I desire. I'm moving the process along. Anything else is inconsiderate of you and your time.If you really wanted to be next, you'd've sat there with a book...waiting...Signed, Your Friend In #6I don't have all day to hope that you'll come down here and scoop up this empty machine.

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And when I'm driving down the cupcake, don't let me catch no monkeywrenches stretching out on the water nozzle.

Agreed?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    whoa what slang is that?

I'm saying.

true

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I was hoping this was an update on a previous thread and someone made a move on the 40 yo Russian neighbor in the laundry room........

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    where are you putting the clothes you take out?

where are you putting the clothes you take out?

Socks on the floor, panties on the head.

I do sniff all the panties...

sometimes I make a guess on who brought which bin (although I won't F with no wickermans), but usually I put it on the folding table. No sabotage or anything...

doesn't happen too often, but today is hectic down there!

it was New Dad, by the way...he's got all day...he thanked me for hepping him to the Big Dig Record show last weekend.

I WIN THIS BATTLE.

...but he wins the war, because he and his loving wife brought a child into existence and I have nothing but a new bike from China...

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I have been known to quick-fold dry stuff and stack it neatly on the dryer. Random acts of laundry.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    When we had to share machines with other tenants, I would give people a day to get their stuff out and then I would pile it on a clean towel. It happened only once or twice, everyone was pretty good about it. It killed me to do it, it seems so intrusive. And goodness knows, I do not want ANYONE but me and mine touching my clothes.
    Laundromats, you better believe I?m there watching the whole process, especially since the one I used had a front and back door and there was a whole bunch of incidents of jerks walking in one door, grabbing some shit out of the dryers and then leaving through the other door. They had to put signs warning people about leaving their shit unattended.

• akaaka 67 Posts
    The last 2 places I've lived have laundry schedules (every unit gets a time slot, anyone can book an empty slot). It was weird at first, but now that I've gotten used to it I'm not sure I'd want to go back to the anarchy of unscheduled laundry.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Not sure if this is just the local experience or what, but around these parts (suburban New Jersey) laundr-o-mats seem to be the chosen spot for drug deals and/or junkie panhandling. So glad I have an in-house washer and dryer now.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    there's a laundry schedule here too, and every single time i've come down to do the laundry in my booked time there has been dry laundry in the dryer. i just put it in a big pile on a bench

• erikbeatserikbeats 129 Posts
    one time i took a piss in the dryer when someone moved my clothes out early.
    i dont mind being moved but dont move me out early
    just because you got to get to a war protest.

at my old place this old guy used to do laundry for free by wrapping nylon around the coins and reeling em back.
    thats the only move i dig in the laundry room.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    A few years back when I moved into a new apartment, the first time I did laundry there were 2 dryers and one was full so I used the other. When I came back I found all my clothes thrown on the filthy basement floor. My roommate later explained that THAT dryer belonged to the 1st floor tenants alone. Rest assured I left one doozy of an irate note on that dryer I would have liked to do what ^^^ did, but I'm a little too classy for that, sorry.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Not sure if this is just the local experience or what, but around these parts (suburban New Jersey) laundr-o-mats seem to be the chosen spot for drug deals and/or junkie panhandling. So glad I have an in-house washer and dryer now.

Thought you guys were in the SW somewhere.

One of the best moves I ever made when I was renting was into a townhouse with a laundry hookup. Immediately thereafter next best move was buying an inexpensive washer.

I do not miss the laundromat one bit. Not even a little. I miss it so little I'd rather have to dry my large comforters multiple times to get them dry than go to the laundromat.

• Options
    I don't miss this, and in fact, it's one of the things that drove me to home ownership.

Anyway, I lived on the same floor as a Tom Cruise in Fourth Of July look-a-like, wheelchair and all. One day, as I'm getting my shit ready for the washer, wheelchair dude (super nice dude, btw) is just taking his stuff out to put in the dryer.

I wait for him to finish, but I don't offer help for fear of offending him--dude has to pull himself up to get into the washer drum to pull his stuff out. So now he's done and wheels away, and I peak into the washer to make sure he got everything out--you know how them socks get all stuck sometimes, right?

I look in and see a small brownish object inside and pick it up not knowing what it was. It looked a bit like a section of a peanut, so I sniff it. And it was a piece of peanut...that smelled like foul poo. I wanted to soak my index and thumb in bleach but settled for scrubbing them with a good antibacterial soap.

:doo-doo:

i never used that washer again.

I look in and see a small brownish object inside and pick it up not knowing what it was. It looked a bit like a section of a peanut, so I sniff it. And it was a piece of peanut...that smelled like foul poo. I wanted to soak my index and thumb in bleach but settled for scrubbing them with a good antibacterial soap.

I'm curious what the rationale would be for saving a poo peanut section. I realize it's common for wheelchair people to have poo bags but how would said poo peanut escape, and then lodge itself firmly enough to withstand washing?

• Options
    I have no idea how a piece of peanut withstood a washer cycle, but then again, peanuts aren't fully digested but humans, even with our highly acidic stomachs.

Also, I don't follow what you mean by "saving a poo peanut section". I'm assuming you're smart enough to know that I threw it out immediately, and that wheelchair dude certainly wasn't "saving" it either.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I had a single pair of my pants stolen from my laundry room last year. It was an old, nearly worn out pair that I didn't really care about but this shit weighed heavy on my mind for a couple weeks. I mean, as it is, I am the super OCD dude who sets a timer and always comes through the door on exactly the last spin of the last cycle. That someone felt the need to rummage through my partially wet clothing for this one pair of jeans is just so creepy. I still feel sorta violated and generally suspicious of my fellow apartment dwellers.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I had a single pair of my pants stolen from my laundry room last year. It was an old, nearly worn out pair that I didn't really care about but this shit weighed heavy on my mind for a couple weeks. I mean, as it is, I am the super OCD dude who sets a timer and always comes through the door on exactly the last spin of the last cycle. That someone felt the need to rummage through my partially wet clothing for this one pair of jeans is just so creepy. I still feel sorta violated and generally suspicious of my fellow apartment dwellers.

There's a digging-related joke/metaphor here, but I'm too tired to formulate it.

I have no idea how a piece of peanut withstood a washer cycle, but then again, peanuts aren't fully digested but humans, even with our highly acidic stomachs.

Also, I don't follow what you mean by "saving a poo peanut section". I'm assuming you're smart enough to know that I threw it out immediately, and that wheelchair dude certainly wasn't "saving" it either.

I was referring to wheelchair guy. It just seems to me that poo peanuts don't usually escape their common fate without some intervention along the way. Even if we assume the guy shit his pants or whatever, it would've had to stay lodged in his pants throughout taking them off, putting them in w/the laundry, transporting and putting them in the washer AND dryer, etc.

And here's the rub: if it was a completely "clean" poo peanut, that means it would've been completely "free" and probably would've settled to the bottom of the washer, no? So how did it make the leap to the dryer?

Lastly, if dude shit himself so much to where not only would he not notice a poo peanut, but also it would stick long enough to travel... well, that's enough shit to be like he took a dump in the washer. Yuck.

• Options
    ^^
    It was at the bottom of the washer. Until now, I gave no thought to how it ended up in there, or how it could smell after being through a wash cycle--it was too much of a gross WTF moment for me to analyze.

I brought my stuff back to the apartment and told my wife what had happened while scrubbing my fingers.

She had a good laugh and I chased her around playing the "smell my finger" game.

^^
    It was at the bottom of the washer. Until now, I gave no thought to how it ended up in there, or how it could smell after being through a wash cycle--it was too much of a gross WTF moment for me to analyze.

I brought my stuff back to the apartment and told my wife what had happened while scrubbing my fingers.

She had a good laugh and I chased her around playing the "smell my finger" game.

Ahhh in the washer... that makes more sense. I would believe it stilled smelled like poo after being washed. That would be like marinating it... the poo smell was probably absorbed by the peanut.

And I'm sure your wife appreciated your game.hahaha.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    When I have to use a laundromat I pour a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in the washer for this exact sort of reason.

It makes your clothes smell fresher too.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    poo peanut

Poonut.

Carry on.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I'm curious what the rationale would be for saving a poo peanut section. I realize it's common for wheelchair people to have poo bags but how would said poo peanut escape, and then lodge itself firmly enough to withstand washing?

One peanut seldomly comes alone...

I don't have much trust in the cleaning abilities of low cost washers but my guess would be that it'd take a handful of peanuts to have one of them survive the washing process.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This thread is bringing up issues I wish I'd never had to think about.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Like the fact that the lint catcher on dryers could just as easily be referred to as the pube catcher?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Like the fact that the lint catcher on dryers could just as easily be referred to as the pube catcher?

Or the occassional loose change character. And it wouldn't be so far-fetched in some of the dankest of apartment complex basements to call it a Dream Catcher and see one of these things springing out of nowhere...

I am typically timely about getting my stuff out of the machines, however this quiet lady who lives upstairs from me is so quick and sneaky that she will throw 75 cents in the dryer and move my clothes over from the washer. One time, she even folded an entire large load of whites, except she rocked a very unorthodox folding style that took me a while to figure out. I still didn't complain.