return of the L O S T thread

Secret_ChimpSecret_Chimp 915 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
So... theories on what the hell is going on??The last two episodes were awesome, encouraging after a couple of really weak ones. Sawyer-as-cop, that was cool. And the last episode with weird ass Richard/Ricardus (what's with the eye shadow??).. it answered a lot of questions but raised some big ones too. The island is seeming like purgatory more and more now, even though the producers denied that way back when. It seems more and more like the people on the island are lost souls who can make it back to the real world only by some sort of redemption. Who's good and who's bad? Is Jacob really supposed to represent 'good'? All of a sudden the dude in black isn't necessarily seeming so bad..Oh and now that we know that the man-in-black/smoke monster is using Locke's body.. who's body was he using before? And did you catch how the man in black said "it's nice to see you out of those chains" to Ricardus, the same thing that 'Locke' said to Richard when he came out of the statue? Richard bugged out over that.The show definitely ain't gonna wrap everything up in the 7 remaining episodes .. the whole time traveling things doesn't make any sense to me any more (any bets on how soon Faraday is going to drop out of the sky and confuse things even more?), nor does the bizarro world we've been seeing this season. And the whole Dharma thing, who knows. Maybe bizarro world represents what the world would be like with the island no longer in existence, like if it got blown up in that nuclear explosion.. or if the dude in black was able to escape the island..I can't stop thinking about this shit, it's terrible.

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    yeah, last night was redeeming. I don't really know what's going on, but I'm glad it's back to jacob and the man in black and not all that temple bullshit. Also kind of cool how the entire episode wasn't about Kate or Jack and it was soooooo much better.

side note...I was reading Entertainment Weekly or some magazine like it and they were talking about the actor who plays Richard. They said that he does not wear eyeliner. That is how that dudes eyes are in real life. Permanent glam.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Wow. Who cares? People actually watch this show? One of my co-workers at my last office job was always telling me how great this show was. He gave me the first three seasons on DVD to watch. I made it about half way through the first season and could not take any more. It was SO DAMN BORING!!!!!! I did not care at all about any of the characters or if they ever got off the island. There are better things to watch, read or listen to with your time.

Wow. Who cares? People actually watch this show? One of my co-workers at my last office job was always telling me how great this show was. He gave me the first three seasons on DVD to watch. I made it about half way through the first season and could not take any more. It was SO DAMN BORING!!!!!! I did not care at all about any of the characters or if they ever got off the island. There are better things to watch, read or listen to with your time.

cool, dude.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

cool, dude.

Cool? I just thought the show was REALLY boring. Should I try to watch it again? Does it get a lot better after the first season? I have never understood why U.S. major network TV shows are so long to begin with. 20+ hour long episodes for one season? Then if the show has good ratings they keep writing more and more episodes. Sometimes this goes on for years and the stories get very tired. Why are there not more shows on U.S. TV that are based on books with a set time frame? A beginning, middle and end.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

cool, dude.

Cool? I just thought the show was REALLY boring. Should I try to watch it again? Does it get a lot better after the first season? I have never understood why U.S. major network TV shows are so long to begin with. 20+ hour long episodes for one season? Then if the show has good ratings they keep writing more and more episodes. Sometimes this goes on for years and the stories get very tired. Why are there not more shows on U.S. TV that are based on books with a set time frame? A beginning, middle and end.

yes, lost is really good. But its too late for you. Sorry. That sucks. I wouldn't even try to catch up now really. Its kind of like a pulp radio drama or something. The whole thrill is in what happens episode to episode.

Thats the way this sort of thing works. Its the nature of the medium, and Lost is REALLY good at it!.

I still love the show, and I'm fairly okay with the fact that there will be plenty of loose ends when its over. I don't really believe that its absolutely necessary to have some grand master all encompassing vision just to keep people engaged.

but then, i don't really frequent the LOST conspiracy boards all that often. They aren't dead though, that part was made clear! The Islands exists to hold back some super evil shit from the world. That evil is encompassed by the man in black. Its very basic, but still cool way to wrap it all up. Im gonna be watching it every week.

The ONE thing that REALLY bugs me, is when they do that end of an episode slow motion reunion shot on the beach with the cheesy happy music and they all hug eachother. Its SOOO overdone and I've seen it SOO many times.

Again, i can forgive that though. Lost rules.

I am currently obsessed with Dexter season 4 though so.... back to that!

• yes, lost is really good. But its too late for you. Sorry. That sucks. I wouldn't even try to catch up now really. Its kind of like a pulp radio drama or something. The whole thrill is in what happens episode to episode.

Thats the way this sort of thing works. Its the nature of the medium, and Lost is REALLY good at it!.

That's a good way of putting it. It's kind of like Twin Peaks. I loved that show but I think I probably would have killed myself had I tried to watch the entire show back to back. Every week me and big group of people have a giant pot luck and watch the show on a giant big screen and try to recap what the hell is going on and make predictions. We all recognize the ridiculousness of it all, but that's part of what's fun about it I guess.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    yeah last episode really explained some major stuff, why Richard stayed the same age for decades, black rock, the statue etc

supposedly the episode airing in two weeks will explain the two timelines, Desmond is coming back.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I really enjoyed the last eps.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Wow. Who cares? People actually watch this show?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Wow. Who cares? People actually watch this show?

People who watch the show care... a lot... so deal

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Why all the blah blah blah? Jesus.

For real though - if you aren't into the show based on the first half of the first season, you're not going to get into it ever. And that's fine. I have friends who tried to watch the first half of "The Sopranos" and couldn't hang and I'm thinking, well, while the show does take some time to get into, I just don't think it's worth urging anyone to have to sit through an entire season of anything just to see if they'll like it.

Anyways, in regards to this week's show...I'm biased since I know one of the two writers who worked on it (our daughters were in pre-school together) but I thought it was really solid, especially after two rather lackluster episodes before it.

I actually interviewed her, along with Damon and Carlton (the two lead writers) and that was really interesting in terms of talking to them about the casting process for characters like Sun, Jin, Miles, Sayid, etc. This shouldn't be a surprise but yeah, there was no masterful, meta-arc set-up at the very beginning. To an extent, the writers do make up things as they go along but there are some general principles guiding the direction of the storytelling.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I stopped watching after last season because I thought it was so bad -- and I was OBSESSED up until then. But last season, at least to me, was just so ridiculous I couldn't take it anymore.

I did, however, end up watching a few eps from this season, and did a lot of laughing out loud because of how far gone the whole thing had gotten. BUT, last weeks was OK and this past Tuesday's was definitely dope -- it's so nice to ACTUALLY have some questions answered. So I'm riding again.

Amazing, after the pain and suffering it's caused me, I too have found myself back on the island.

Just boggles my mind that some of y'all act like snobs towards so many great things/ideas, but then turn around and ride for this hot garbage. But yeah, not trying to spoil anyone's fun...carry on.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    As someone who's watched it since the jump (six f*cking years, man), this season has been infuriating. Entire plot threads, like Widmore's pursuit of Linus, seem to have simply been tossed aside, despite having been responsible for a big chunk of the narrative in earlier seasons. I keep hearing people say that there were all these clues in the earlier seasons that are supposedly making more sense now we're coming to the conclusion, but I've abandoned all hope of it amounting to anything more than a mess of loose ends and red herrings. It's become like having to visit a boring relative every week; you go out of a sense of obligation, but you can't wait to get it over with.

Just boggles my mind that some of y'all
    click on threads you have no interest in just for the purpose of shitting on them.

Just boggles my mind that some of y'all
    click on threads you have no interest in just for the purpose of shitting on them.

Ignore the troll moves.

• This shouldn't be a surprise but yeah, there was no masterful, meta-arc set-up at the very beginning. To an extent, the writers do make up things as they go along but there are some general principles guiding the direction of the storytelling.

I know this maikes me naive and idealistic but that pisses me off. I feel cheated. I can't really expect there to be a coherent explanation for everything now...not that it matters much now anyway because after 4 years or so now I've forgotten probably 75% of my questions/loose ends.

• Last night was one of the best eps ever. Richard should get an emmy. I'm to tired to get into it, but yes lost is not what it was. It has deaded a huge chunk of what was important but what it has turned into is still a great show.

Best show on tv to me. ............but last week did suck lol.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Entire plot threads, like Widmore's pursuit of Linus, seem to have simply been tossed aside, despite having been responsible for a big chunk of the narrative in earlier seasons.

I don't see how you can say this. They still haven't revealed what Widmore's motivations are, so it's impossible to say why he was after Ben. As of last weeks episode, it seems that he's in opposition to Man In Black/Smoke Monster/Locke getting ready to have a Red Harvest style smackdown. Since Ben was being manipulated (presumably by Smokey) into eventually killing Jacob, perhaps attempting to capture Ben was an attempt to preserve Jacob. We just don't know, we have not been given all of the information required to understand what we are seeing. Let them tell the story. Or don't, there's plenty of shows out there that reset to square zero every week and end with all mysteries solved in one hour?pretty much all of them except the shows I like.

I think this season has been more entertaining than season five, which really felt like a bunch of prolog to the Incident. And now we're being forced to see the aftermath without knowing exactly what we're being shown, but I feel like I'm getting enough tidbits to make it feel like real progression. Plus, Terry O'Quinn as Smokey is pretty entertaining.

I'll be happy if the ending is something that allows me to go back and re-watch the show and enjoy it on a different level, but I don't expect every mystery to be solved.

• debardebar 215 Posts
    I am currently obsessed with Dexter season 4 though so.... back to that!

Dude, I too am obsessed with Dexter, and I'm only on season 2. Netflix streaming is f'in amazing!

Oh, and Lost has become way more enjoyable for me since I stopped reading through those theory message boards. Everyone starts reading into every little thing. Just enjoy that shit!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Just boggles my mind that some of y'all act like snobs towards so many great things/ideas, but then turn around and ride for this hot garbage. But yeah, not trying to spoil anyone's fun...carry on.

Understood. On that note, in the interim, PLEASE give us an update as to what's currently happening with K-Rino and Z-Ro.

• I don't see how you can say this. They still haven't revealed what Widmore's motivations are, so it's impossible to say why he was after Ben. As of last weeks episode, it seems that he's in opposition to Man In Black/Smoke Monster/Locke getting ready to have a Red Harvest style smackdown. Since Ben was being manipulated (presumably by Smokey) into eventually killing Jacob, perhaps attempting to capture Ben was an attempt to preserve Jacob. We just don't know, we have not been given all of the information required to understand what we are seeing. Let them tell the story. Or don't, there's plenty of shows out there that reset to square zero every week and end with all mysteries solved in one hour?pretty much all of them except the shows I like.

My prediction is that the power-mad zillionaire Whidmore, who lived on the island way back when, realized while on the island that Richard was immortal, and wanted that shit for himself. Then, after getting kicked off the island by Ben, he realized through time traveling (which he jacked from his son Farraday) that Ben ultimately would kill Jacob, the only person who could make immortality a reality. That would explain why he would be after Ben. It would also explain why he must go back to the island and kill the smoke monster/Locke, who later tricked Ben into killing Jacob.

That's my confounded, contrived and slightly drunk 3am explanation. It's probably something completely different (if anything at all) but I enjoy trying to come up with explanations for this crazy shit.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Then, after getting kicked off the island by Ben, he realized through time traveling (which he jacked from his son Farraday) that Ben ultimately would kill Jacob, the only person who could make immortality a reality.

I hadn't considered Widmore as a time traveler, that's an interesting theory. It would certainly explain how he amassed such a vast fortune, Biff from Back to the Future Part 2 style.

Entire plot threads, like Widmore's pursuit of Linus, seem to have simply been tossed aside, despite having been responsible for a big chunk of the narrative in earlier seasons.

I don't see how you can say this. They still haven't revealed what Widmore's motivations are, so it's impossible to say why he was after Ben. As of last weeks episode, it seems that he's in opposition to Man In Black/Smoke Monster/Locke getting ready to have a Red Harvest style smackdown. Since Ben was being manipulated (presumably by Smokey) into eventually killing Jacob, perhaps attempting to capture Ben was an attempt to preserve Jacob. We just don't know, we have not been given all of the information required to understand what we are seeing. Let them tell the story. Or don't, there's plenty of shows out there that reset to square zero every week and end with all mysteries solved in one hour?pretty much all of them except the shows I like.

I think this season has been more entertaining than season five, which really felt like a bunch of prolog to the Incident. And now we're being forced to see the aftermath without knowing exactly what we're being shown, but I feel like I'm getting enough tidbits to make it feel like real progression. Plus, Terry O'Quinn as Smokey is pretty entertaining.

I'll be happy if the ending is something that allows me to go back and re-watch the show and enjoy it on a different level, but I don't expect every mystery to be solved.

A valid point, and one I hadn't considered. I'm just at the point now where I'm wondering how much of it is going to turn out to be padding, something the show has always suffered from to some extent (cf. the frequent recapping), and how much is the real meat. O-Dub hinted earlier that a fair bit of winging-it has gone on as regards the storyline, and whilst I'm not expecting every question to be answered either, I'll be mightily pissed off if they leave too much hanging.

I hear you about shows that aim for a pat conclusion every week, but if I was a big fan of that neat-and-tidy shit (and I'm not), I'd hardly have stuck with something like Lost for the duration.

I didn't mean to imply that they're "winging it". It's more that the Lost writers didn't have everything sketched out, in its entirety, six years ago. They began with a loose skeleton and as each season has progressed, they've colored things in more and more.

I didn't mean to imply that they're "winging it". It's more that the Lost writers didn't have everything sketched out, in its entirety, six years ago. They began with a loose skeleton and as each season has progressed, they've colored things in more and more.

My apologies for putting words in your mouth, so to speak. Although it has had more than a few moments where you've wondered how in hell they're going to write their way out of this one...

Understood. On that note, in the interim, PLEASE give us an update as to what's currently happening with K-Rino and Z-Ro.

Your sarcasm is of course justified because posting about music on a music message board is obviously foul upon foul.

Your sarcasm is of course justified because posting about music on a music message board is obviously foul upon foul.

Soulstrut passed being "just" a music message board years ago.

You posting in here serves no productive purpose and is justifiably comparable to similar posts by others who don't share your taste in music. It's rather lame when they do it. It's lame when you do it too.

Soulstrut passed being "just" a music message board years ago.

You posting in here serves no productive purpose and is justifiably comparable to similar posts by others who don't share your taste in music. It's rather lame when they do it. It's lame when you do it too.

When do I ever post about K-Rino?