Options

Medicine Show #3 - Beat Konducta in Africa

edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Doo-doo on a stick x Weak SauceAnd I like Madlib...sort of.43 tracks of crap, although "bonus f" is almost listenable.

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i listened to some tracks off his recent space jazz project, some trippy shit, pretty f*ckin NICE! i likes..

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    yeah the preview tracks were gawdawful
    i havent checked for lib in years and have not missed much

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    yeah the preview tracks were gawdawful
    i havent checked for lib in years and have not missed much

He hasn't released much these last few years though. Glad to see he's breaking the silence.

Somebody had to do it - it's a Madlib thread, after all.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    anybody checking for Madlib in 2010 is probably 17 years old...

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    Doo-doo on a stick x Weak Sauce

And I like Madlib...sort of.

43 tracks of crap, although "bonus f" is almost listenable.

don't know how one can do such shitty beats with this samples

• don't know how one can do such shitty beats with this samples
    Here's how:
    1)Smoke weed all day
    2)start a beat but don't finish it or worry about making the sounds work together as a cohesive whole (remember, it's quantity, not quality!)
    3)smoke more weed
    4)sloppily record these on a 4-track
    5)Give it to PBWolf to release
    6)smoke more weed
    Repeat until Soulstrut is debating your worth. You made it!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    anybody checking for Madlib in 2010 is probably 17 years old...

Funny and true.

• Options
    ^^

...or just, you know, musically open-minded.

Madlib's crafted some sick beats in the past. Sure, you need to wade through piles of shit, but the gems are there.

b/w

stepping off your lawn, silly geezers.

You don't have to tell me that. LOL. I've been a fan of the Lib. His later work is great for driving home from Malibu on shrooms, but besides that, it's not gettin rotation around here.
    BTW Madlib fans I've come in contact with are some of the most musically closed minded people I've met. If it's not Madlib or Dilla, they ain't havin it.

• Options
    Must be a left coast thing.

People I know who ride (generally) are among the most open-minded I know. If you're talking about hiphop headz who are into Lib, then I agree 100% re: Lib, Dilla.

But people who are all over the map (soul, funk, afro, psych, blah blah blah) like Madlib because he references many genres. I'm in that camp.

Must be a left coast thing.

People I know who ride (generally) are among the most open-minded I know. If you're talking about hiphop headz who are into Lib, then I agree 100% re: Lib, Dilla.

But people who are all over the map (soul, funk, afro, psych, blah blah blah) like Madlib because he references many genres. I'm in that camp.

Unless it's perceived as commercial music, right? Then all open mindedness ends..

• quite boring.

• probably an unecessary bump but i kinda liked it..

i can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea as it's a bit of a lo-fi clusterfuck in places. I don't mind it for what it is though- I'm not up on too many african records so enjoyed the vibe, regardless.

I do think that the Strong Arm Steady instrumental album is a lot better though.

oh yeah.. i'm 35.

• i listened to some tracks off his recent space jazz project, some trippy shit, pretty f*ckin NICE! i likes..

what space jazz project? the Slave Riot thing?

• links or gtfo tbh

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    links or gtfo tbh

http://www.stonesthrow.com/jukebox/madlib-bkafrica-frontline.mp3

http://www.stonesthrow.com/jukebox/madlib-bkafrica-africanvoodooqueen.mp3

whats with the hatt. i don't get it. it's a madlib record, if you don't like madlib you won't like it. if you do you will. case closed.

• I want a link to the full album. F*ck stonesthrow if they think spending all day emailing rapideshare will ever make me give them any money.

• I want a link to the full album. F*ck stonesthrow if they think spending all day emailing rapideshare will ever make me give them any money.
    Your pissy internet persona needs a hug.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Here's how:

1)Smoke weed all day
    2)smoke more weed
    3)smoke more weed
    4)smoke more weed
    5)smoke more weed
    6)smoke more weed

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Madlib's crafted some sick beats in the past. Sure, you need to wade through piles of shit, but the gems are there.

Skipping the obligatory we-need-a-thread-about-Madlib-on-Soulstrut jokes this is my main sticking point with me personally ever checking out anything he has done in a good few years. I just haven't heard anything that suggests to me that it would be worth wading through piles of shit for. It's all very well churning out every single thing you save on your computer but I don't get why the audience continues to buy it and support it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Here's how:

1)Smoke weed all day
    2)smoke more weed
    3)smoke more weed
    4)smoke more weed
    5)smoke more weed
    6)smoke more weed

Right, and quite possibly if one puts their mind in that same state, they might appreciate said music that much more. Maybe not, but obviously dude is making music for the extremely blunted.

So does Z-Ro for that matter, spitting lyrics such as:

Hit the church house and then go work out
    And after that it's time to pull the purp out
    And I'mma roll one and I'mma smoke one
    Now I'm out of my mind, that's what that smoke done

For real, if you aren't in the target market for this kinda thing...I'm not so sure you have the platform to really be judging correctly. Because what sounds like trash to you just might sound like gold to someone else.

I think my favorite album title ever is from Spacemen 3 in the form of: Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs to. Point being, keep puffing that piff, Lib!

• As one who partakes in the piff and is completely honest with myself, I can say that people who are constantly stoned are boring as hell to be around. Thus, music made by stoners is usually pretty boring as well. When you smoke all the time you get lethargic and subdued and I ain't feelin' that shit. But if you dig it then play on player.

• AFROMAN VINDICATED !

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I haven't really paid attention to Madlib since the Quasimoto stuff, but I decided to check out Strong Arm Steady's Stoney Jackson and found it surprisingly solid-- despite Phil the Agony. Then I gave Medicine Show #1 with Guilty Simpson a listen and it was more or less garbage (the Brazil mix was good, though).

It all clicked when I read that SAS picked the beats for Stoney Jackson from fourteen beat CDs. Let somebody else-- preferably a bit less blunted than Madlib-- wade through his beats, and I have no doubt that Madlib can still produce good records.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i listened to some tracks off his recent space jazz project, some trippy shit, pretty f*ckin NICE! i likes..

this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTszh5jU3pU

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As one who partakes in the piff and is completely honest with myself, I can say that people who are constantly stoned are boring as hell to be around. Thus, music made by stoners is usually pretty boring as well. When you smoke all the time you get lethargic and subdued and I ain't feelin' that shit. But if you dig it then play on player.

Sorry, but what a shit perspective...in that most people who do smoke all the time are doing so to calm what without weed would be an off-the-charts hyper. It's that whole thank goodness for the good, as without it, I would be bashing your punk ass teeth in kinda thing...and I guarantee that's not the kind of excitement over boring you would ever want.

• I thought the snippets were dope.

and his recent jazz/funk releases were dope to me.

even though the record is all beats, I think it's unfair to peek through the songs and judge them by themselves. I would want folks to look at the whole picture.

• i listened to some tracks off his recent space jazz project, some trippy shit, pretty f*ckin NICE! i likes..

oh yes, that LP is a coolio listen! just heard the snippets of that Slave Riot album today and i think it is really wierd...not sure if i like this.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    thank goodness for the good, as without it, I would be bashing your punk ass teeth in

haha. i can ride for that statement.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I like Madlib