NBA '10 (pre-Playoffs)

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I dunno about hype, but I watched all of Durant's games when he was here at Texas...and I'm still surprised that my prediction that he would score 30 his rookie year didn't come true.

Haven't really thought the same about anyone else since Len Bias.

I'm saying, his freshmen highlights look like Kobe 6-7 years into the L...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Ive seen Vin Baker,Derek Coleman and Brad Lohaus(at 2 guard for Nellie in NYC) play the perimeter and hit 3s at 6'10" dude. This aint shit to me.

U are part of the dick riding....and need some more NBA in yo life to see the patterns. But you young and get excited like The Last American Virgin delivering pizzas to Carmela house.

Check.

I saw Vin Baker and Derick Coleman play as well...Sam Perkins was smooth with the jumper too.

you seriously trying to compare those dudes with Durant?! lol

Rock is speaking truth. You on the other hand, just sound bitter and old. Things change my man. There's always SOMETHING good in every generation. There's just a LOT of it at an early age in today's game. You watch high school ball, you see that. It's just as simple as celebrating something good. no more, no less. And yes, I can't wait to see Blake Griffin play either.

You trying to put everyone against Jordan or Olajuwon maybe? You're gonna have a hard time enjoying any of the ever-evolving NBA action..and I'm speaking as a dude who likes seeing defense, rebounding, and chemistry in a team.

uhhhh.....

like anybody would say when they see a dude with a crossover, step back, and hit a three at 6'10"...

Ur THAT IMPRESSED BY THIS?????? I DONT GET IT?

How tall is Dork?

Ur on some real dumb shit - yappin to be yappin.

What's "every generation"? 5 years ? 3 years 7 years? Derrick Rose is the the truth too. There's always talent comin into the L. Whoopdee-damn-do!

Like i said - u predicted Mike Beasley as the truth.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Durant is a helluva player and deserves MVP recognition....that other nonsense about him being a winner and a leader and the future is a little silly....He's in his second year...we all have watched enough Basketball to know it's too early in this dude's career to call him anything other than a 2nd year all star......Just say The ThunderSonics get swept by The Lakers and he never sees the playoffs again.....Let's not turn an 8 seed into some "Birth of a Dynasty" shit

dude is nice now.. but i'll wait 3 more years before i bronze his balls

Durant....He's in his second year.

You are the 2nd person to say this in this thread.

This is actually Durant's 3rd year in the NBA.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I never said this.

Probably said that either of the top 3 in that draft, Beasley, Mayo, or Rose can get ROY. or something. You think I would say "michael's gonna be BEASTING in the L"? Slow your roll old man, and stop putting words in my mouth. While you're at it, go grab a sandwich. Another Allan Houston era will come in due time.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    i seen this before - dudes prop these cats up way early and they languish in these small markets while management try to surround them w/ a Pippen-type.
    Awards and accolades later theyre just another big scorer with no Finals appearences.

Like i said earlier.....

NOT IN OKLAHOMA.

Back to your original knock.

They're just a real big man away from being very legitimate.

Not understanding the "NOT IN OKLAHOMA" part either. You can build a great team anywhere. Not sure what you're saying with this statement here.

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    I don't understand why dudes are hatting on Durant here. He is for real. His numbers speak to his offensive dominance. Youngest player ever to lead the L in scoring. Uh, no one has seen that before.

I never said this.

Probably said that either of the top 3 in that draft, Beasley, Mayo, or Rose can get ROY. or something. You think I would say "michael's gonna be BEASTING in the L"? Slow your roll old man, and stop putting words in my mouth. While you're at it, go grab a sandwich. Another Allan Houston era will come in due time.

How long have u known me dude?

When have i EVER repped the f*ckin New York Knicks in this Bitch?

If u want to get at me pleez refer to the Indiana Pacers if u want to clown, but in the meantime pleaese to refrain from thinkin' that shittin' on the Knicks does anything to my feelings son.

i seen this before - dudes prop these cats up way early and they languish in these small markets while management try to surround them w/ a Pippen-type.
    Awards and accolades later theyre just another big scorer with no Finals appearences.

Like i said earlier.....

NOT IN OKLAHOMA.

Back to your original knock.

They're just a real big man away from being very legitimate.

Not understanding the "NOT IN OKLAHOMA" part either. You can build a great team anywhere. Not sure what you're saying with this statement here.

VERY Legitimate? You mean they go from 8th seed to a Contender w/ just ONE Big Man?

WOW????!!! Like overnight?

My "Not In Oklahoma" statement should be read as - I dont see dude staying in Oklahoma. Its not a knock on the city.

I don't understand why dudes are hatting on Durant here. He is for real. His numbers speak to his offensive dominance. Youngest player ever to lead the L in scoring. Uh, no one has seen that before.

O God...Here we go....

IM NOT HATING ON DURANT

I'm only saying how about waiting until dude wins a playoff game or series before we get carried away

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Durant lead the league in scoring.

And some folks here are talking Darius Miles.

Name me ONE player in the last 30 years to lead the league in scoring who was NOT a superstar.

Durant is the best young player in the game....period.

Is he MJ.....HELL no.

But c'mon son, he's closer to MJ than he is to Darius Miles!!

Name me ONE player in the last 30 years to lead the league in scoring who was NOT a superstar.

Is he MJ.....HELL no.

Tracy McGrady is NOT A SUPERSTAR.

Is he MJ.....HELL no.

Yeah....you're right....an injury, like McGrady's, is about the only thing that can stop Durant from being a Superstar.

T-Mac was the best player in the game for a 3-4 year stretch and damn good for 8 years.....only an injury kept him from what you would consider superstar status.

In this decade only Lebron has a higher playoff scoring average....and Playoffs are all that really matter, right.....

Went to the Playoffs 7 times w/3 different teams
    7x All-NBA
    2x NBA scoring champ
    7x NBA All-Star
    NBA Most Improved Player (2001)

Best statistical season of the decade: 32.1 PPG, 5.5 APG, 6.5 RPG

People forget that between the stretch of 2000-2004, Tracy McGrady was considered by most as the best offensive player of the decade.

In the 2003-04 season, T-Mac was the best player in the NBA. No one could guard him?he scored and did so efficiently while taking harder shots than probably anyone else in the NBA.

T-Mac lead the worst team in the NBA at the time (Orlando Magic) to the playoffs twice, similar to what Kevin Durant's doing right now with even worse players. [/b] With Grant Hill injured, the second best player on that team was Drew Gooden.

He has the fifth highest playoff PPG game average behind Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, and Jerry West.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I dunno about hype, but I watched all of Durant's games when he was here at Texas...and I'm still surprised that my prediction that he would score 30 his rookie year didn't come true.

Haven't really thought the same about anyone else since Len Bias.

He was taking way too many contested mid & long-range jumpers his rookie year, I think. He's driving it more and also getting more assisted open shots, and it's scary to think that he'll get even better as his surrounding cast improves.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Is he MJ.....HELL no.

Yeah....you're right....an injury, like McGrady's, is about the only thing that can stop Durant from being a Superstar.

T-Mac was the best player in the game for a 3-4 year stretch and damn good for 8 years.....only an injury kept him from what you would consider superstar status.

In this decade only Lebron has a higher playoff scoring average....and Playoffs are all that really matter, right.....

7x All-NBA
    2x NBA scoring champ
    7x NBA All-Star

People forget that between the stretch of 2000-2004, Tracy McGrady was considered by most as the best offensive player of the decade.

In the 2003-04 season, T-Mac was the best player in the NBA. No one could guard him?he scored and did so efficiently while taking harder shots than probably anyone else in the NBA.

T-Mac lead the worst team in the NBA at the time (Orlando Magic) to the playoffs twice, similar to what Kevin Durant's doing right now with even worse players. [/b] With Grant Hill injured, the second best player on that team was Drew Gooden.

He has the fifth highest playoff PPG game average behind Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, and Jerry West.

Wait... wasn't it you that said there was no comparison between McGrady and Dork??

Maybe it was Big_Puppy_Water...

Is he MJ.....HELL no.

7x All-NBA
    2x NBA scoring champ
    7x NBA All-Star

U Are Buggin that he was the BEST in 2003/4. He has never been considered the BEST in the L. Scoring titles yes. OVERALL - IVE NEVER EVER HEARD THIS.

Please find me the MVP votes for that year - behind GARNETT or DUNCAN or whomever was "second" to McGrady In 2003/04.

Wait... wasn't it you that said there was no comparison between McGrady and Dork??

Circa 2010 there's not.....

Pre-injury only a fool would say they weren't on the same level.

Both will make the HOF.

Both will make the HOF.

Tracy Mcgrady is going to the Hall Of Fame?

GTFOHWTB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracy Mcgrady was never a Top 3 player in the league...I wouldn't even put him in the Top 5 from 2000-2004.

In 2000, the duo of McGrady and Carter helped lead the Raptors to the playoffs, for the first time in franchise history. However, the team was swept 3?0 by the New York Knicks in the first round

At season's end he was presented with the 2001 NBA Most Improved Player Award. Even though McGrady had elevated his game from solid contributor to star, the Magic were ousted in the first round of the playoffs by the Milwaukee Bucks.

In the 2002?03 season, McGrady averaged 32.1 points per game and captured the NBA scoring title, becoming the youngest player to do so since the ABA-NBA merger. Despite McGrady's personal accolades, the Magic failed to reach the second round of the playoffs
    In the 2003?04 season, he once again captured the NBA scoring title, averaging 28 points per game, and set a career high with 62 points against the Washington Wizards on March 10, 2004. With this performance, he became the fourth player in the past 12 years to score over 60 points in a game.

Despite McGrady's stellar play in the first round of the 2005 NBA Playoffs where he averaged 30.7 ppg, 6.7 asg, and 7.4 rpg, Houston was eliminated by the Dallas Mavericks in game seven by 40 points, despite having a 2?0 lead to start the series.

Since Yao went down with a leg injury, McGrady stepped up his overall play, re-establishing himself as one of the game's premier players and by doing so led Houston to the 5th best record in the league. On December 29, 2006, he became the third youngest player in NBA history to reach 14,000 points and 4,000 rebounds.[7] However, in the playoffs, the Rockets lost their first round series to the Utah Jazz 4?3, again preventing McGrady from advancing to the second round of the playoffs. A tear fell down his cheek during the press-conference after losing game seven 103?99 to the Utah Jazz in the 2007 Playoffs

HE HAS NEVER GOTTEN OUT OF THE FIRST ROUND YEY HES GOING TO THE HALL FOR TWO SCORING TITIES?????

Tracy Mcgrady was never a Top 3 player in the league...I wouldn't even put him in the Top 5 from 2000-2004.

Scorer YES

OVERALL Hells to the NO.

Mcgrady at one time was a Superstar but the knock on him was that he couldnt LEAD a TEAM out of the first round.

His injuries have prevented him from redeeming himself.

I hope Durant stays healthy and learns to play BOTH ends on the court cause Im not riding this kids jock on just SCORING. That's for little kids who still vote for Vince Carter.

Is Vince Carter going to the HOF???

2000-01 MVP Vote McGrady #6
    2001-02 MVP Vote McGrady #4
    2002-03 MVP Vote McGrady #4
    2004-05 MVP Vote McGrady #7
    2006-07 MVP Vote McGrady #6
    2007-08 MVP Vote McGrady #8

Only one other player was in the top 8 of the MVP voting during each of the above years and that was Tim Duncan.....and of course Timmy was winning championships while McGrady played on some shit teams.

The two years he did not make the top 10 in MVP vote...

2003-04 Season 28ppg 6rpg 5apg
    2005-06 Season 24ppg 7rpg 5apg

Certainly you agree that the top 10 players from each decade belong in the HOF and it would be hard, based on the above, to not count T-Mac as a Top 10 player for the 00's.

Correction: I'd put Mcgrady at #5 between 2000-2004

Vince Carter is the greatest dunker of all time...but not a hall of famer

The NBA Hall of Fame is a joke anyway so if these dudes make it in or not means nothing

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    Mcgrady at one time was a Superstar but the knock on him was that he could LEAD a TEAM out of the first round.

His injuries have prevented him from redeeming himself.

I hope Durant stays healthy and learns to play BOTH ends on the court cause Im not riding this kids jock on just SCORING. That's for little kids who still vote for Vince Carter.

I think Durant has the determination to ultimately excel on both ends of the floor. He has that commitment to get better at practice every day.

That said, watching his team the other night, they are not at all impressive on the defensive end, especially as a unit. Don't know what kind of a defensive coach Scotty Brooks is...

Is Vince Carter going to the HOF???

Right Now - No.

This Playoff can be his "in" if he gets to the Finals. I dont know.

If he wins the Finals - YES. His story would be complete.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    G_Balliando, I think Kevin Durant might have something to say about best offensive player. Dude's skill set is ridiculous...and I think even more important, I think his demeanor is impressive for a 21 year old.

he's almost as good a shooter as Melo (maybe), but he'll never be the post player that Melo is. Never. Melo is just way too strong. And Melo looks for the tougher shots - and makes them, over defenders, and often defenders that are bigger than him. Get back to me when KD is on that level. KD can score his ass off, no doubt, but not in as many ways as Carmelo.

Regarding Dallas - I like them this year. Howard peeved me, and Dampier still sucks but Haywood is a great addition and Butler is just so much better than Howard. With Kidd playing at this crazy level at 37 years old, I see them as tough competition in the playoffs this year. This might be Kidd's last go at it, so I expect balls to the walls from Dallas in the post-season this year.

I'm really down on my Nuggets, they are too inconsistent and missing Kenyon for 20 games fucked up the chemistry, plus having no head coach through the 1st round of the playoffs is gonna hurt. Luckily, we're playing Utah and we have home court, so round 1 is winnable. Round 2 would be against LA or OKC (LA obviously). Not sure ho we'll fair there. We'll see I guess.

I can't read all yalls other shit because I have to leave work and go drink.

We can continue the usual banter here but im creating the Playoffs Thread for some real talk before SS "retools" this weekend.