funkfromthesunfunkfromthesun 212 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
Add on

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ^ Feeling both of those.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

• (And from a purely self-promotional point of view, THIS album is great)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I haven't heard the full Lindstrom & Christabelle album yet but every song I've heard is smashing.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    major cosign Rey

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    is the sharon jones already released? late pass on the quadron though. everything robin hannibal did is worth checking out imo

• HamHam 872 Posts

• doisndoisn baleadas&pupuzas 303 Posts
    that Uhuru Peak Album by MMK is killin it!

also the Whitefield Brothers - Earthology LP is on constant rotation!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Gave this a listen through and it sadly really didn't do it for me. I realise that they're never going to reach the highs of the early career again but it sounded lethargic and lacking in any kind of spark. Just my personal opinion though.

Really enjoying the new Pantha Du Prince:

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts

• HamHam 872 Posts

yes.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    i'm diggin this http://www.whoismgmt.com/

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Forest Swords - Dagger Paths
    Vaguely murderous This Heat/Wicker Man vibes. Bright, but not in a way that makes it any better. On some "Unload ten in broad daylight / and get right / Fuck your life" stuff. Warning: contains a fashionably dirgey cover of "If Your Girl Only Knew" (Bob Bannister: "I heard Diplo has an Aaliyah t-shirt"). Dude gets points for not adjusting the pronouns, but still. Really good record, though.

Pill Wonder - Jungle/Surf
    These dudes might not have Animal Collective's vision, but they don't have their paunch, either. Who's got doper animal sounds: Michael Campbell and High Voltage or Brian Wilson? This record is undecided.

Matrix Metals - Matrix Metals
    There isn't anybody in my life or on this board to whom I would recommend this record--not remotely. Madness-inducing loops of interstitial 80s-television atmosphere, hammered for minutes on end in open defiance of the fact that this is music that was never meant to support anything more than a two-second transition shot of a Ferrari turning a corner or whatever. Even so, I'm feeling this on a deep, deep level, in a way that I'm still trying to figure out. Several years ago I read an interview with Charles Wright where he in part explained his long absence from the scene by saying that in an attempt to keep abreast he'd been listening to current music for like fifteen hours a day, until he started feeling palpitations; when he went to a cardiologist, he was told that all that time spent listening to inorganic drum-machine beats had pulled his heart in an unnatural direction, to such an extent that it had begun developing a freakish extra chamber in repsonse to the trauma. Given time, I think this might be like that for me.

Psychic Reality/LA Vampires - Psychic Reality/LA Vampires
    I initially gravitated toward the b-side because it's a little more in-the-pocket and dubby, but the noncommittal vocals--minimal though they are--began to grate pretty quickly. The real action, I've decided, is on the a-side. If she was even a little less in control of her voice--like, even a single degree less--shit might tip into hipster theatrics, but as it is, it's got this keening, barely-controlled mania that ends up being both the itch and the scratch. That rapturous and ululating "Yoooooou've gotta happen to meeeee..." has been raking the inside of my head since the first time I heard it.

Wooden Shjips - Dos
    Great record for kids. This shit is pretty much straight pony-ride.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Yeah, I checked some of that out the other night. Didn't get a chance to hear all of it, but what I did was pretty good.

Just bought this 7". Waiting on the album.

• I just got the Fashawn LP today on double vinyl - pretty damn good record

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Just released today:

I have every intention of feeling it.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Man, this thread got disappointing pretty quick..

I'm kind of anticipating this release:

- spidey

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Man, this thread got disappointing pretty quick.
    IT CAN'T ALL BE GONJASUFI, DUDER.

• Dman, yo, let some folks share their opinions...

Digging the Beach House. Did not get on first listen; this song is right up my alley.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Along with the previously mentioned joints by Four Tet and Freeway & Jake One, I'm bumping the shit out of these two records in particular;

This might even be better than his debut which, for me, was probably the most solid end-to-end listen of '07. The cover of Wheel Me Out is what we used to call "stupid fresh"

This one doesn't so much bump as float. If you like that Paul Horn album he recorded in the Taj Mahal (and I do), then there might be something for you here. All live, all improvised, flutes and soprano saxes loop concentrically in and out of washes of mellotron and jagged guitar phrases. Yet it manages to be tougher-sounding and much more absorbing than yer garden-variety ambient fare.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Man, this thread got disappointing pretty quick.
    IT CAN'T ALL BE GONJASUFI, DUDER.

I found this album very underwhelming.

• actually this is not a new record but i'm totally feeling this:

and my special vinyl buddy Doisn hooked me up with this. when i heard this the first time i couldn't get into it but now i really love this record:

• This.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    ^ Feeling both of those.

agreed, one of the best house reissues ever.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

I think Sonic Boom was supposed to work on this album. I've been meaning to check it.