Treme

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I liked the apple pie scene. I also liked how John Goodman's character turned down the lemon ice 'cause it would be disloyal to the other spot which had not yet opened. AND how the restaurant owner AGREED with him. Strong sense of community there.

I wanna know what happened to her house though. Twice she said "don't ask me about my f*ckin' house," and one
    of those times was in a professional setting to her customers (Mr. & Mrs. Goodman).

I mean, I think it's safe to assume her house was destroyed, but it felt like there was more implied with her response.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    so interesting getting to find out what non-New Orleanians think of the show. glad everyone seems to be into it! so many comments i wanted to make but it's getting late so i'll leave it at this.

i watched it in a bar that was *packed* and most people seemed to love it (it's also where i watched half of the Saints games, and it's almost the same community vibe watching Treme as w/the Saints). everyone was singing along to all the music, cheering John Goodman, booing the reporter, standing ovation for the Magic Hubig's Pie, etc...

The scene that had the biggest effect on the room was the one where Albert (Lester) first opens the door to his wrecked house. Too many of us knew that feeling, and it definitely hit home.

No one's really complaining about inaccuracies, at least yet. As long as the general atmosphere is captured well, people don't mind a few tall tales--in my opinion New Orleans has always treasured "stories" above all else, as long as the story is good and well told.

p.s. the actual DJ Davis that Steve Zahn's character is modeled after was a few seats away at the bar. he was lovin it, and got a big cheer when he got a cameo (2 quick shots) in the scene at Vaughan's where Zahn talks to Elvis Costello.

Definitely a lot of easter eggs in there that pretty much only NOLA folks will recognize...

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Really liked the premiere, I have high hopes for the series. Going to NOLA in a couple of weeks, should be fun to get to know the city through the eyes of this show.

Hearing about the easter eggs from natives, as we go along, would be fun.

• First episode was , geeked for more.

Who is the horn playing, BBQ dude? I'm sure I've seen him before.

• That's Kermit Ruffins
    That bar he's playing in is called Vaughan's. He's had that gig for a long time. He busts out BBQ every night. I saw one of his shows there in 2004 and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

• That's Kermit Ruffins
    That bar he's playing in is called Vaughan's. He's had that gig for a long time. He busts out BBQ every night. I saw one of his shows there in 2004 and it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Thanks. That's so fresh that local luminaries get are getting some shine and participating in telling the story of thier own city.

Married to... Karen "Juicee" James.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Kermit Ruffins: founding member of the Rebirth Brass Band, circa 1982.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I wasn't feeling the 'limey news reporter'. Seemed odd, in a show that is striving for authenticity, that they'd give him some Dick VanDyke level accent. Maybe it was meant to be a joke?
    But it's not like there aren't plenty of Brits around to get pointers off, Simon has worked with many; McNulty, Stringer Bell etc, I think even their music supervisor is a Brit.

• Since I'm at work I can't verify if this works or not but for those of us who love David Simon shows but don't have cable, here is the first episode streaming:
    Treme Ep. 1

If you want to download the music from Episode 1 on Amazon MP3 check here: http://www.offbeat.com/playlists. I just posted pretty much everything that was available (just about everything except the closing credits song, My Darling New Orleans by Leigh "Lil Queenie" Harris).

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I'd like to thank that dj dude for introducing me to Dave Bartholomew.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Davis wasn't fired from the WWOZ for having a chicken sac'd on the air. No, it was his terrible mic technique?seriously unless that was some kind of miracle microphone his levels would have been all over the map. OK, not that a Simon show dipped into something I have direct knowledge of it's fun to have my moment of hate. Actually, I thought the scene was pretty funny.

So, my take home message from this episode is that the Mardi Gras Chiefs have to be seriously bad ass to earn the right to wear the giant feathered HR Pufnstuf outfit. I don't have an HD set so it was too dark to tell, but did Albert kill that guy? It was pretty dark but it certainly sounded like it, I suppose he'll stash the body in a vacant.

Finally, SLIM CHARLES!

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Liked it and feel like it's going to only get better.

But, as I've said before, someone needs to off Costello.

So, my take home message from this episode is that the Mardi Gras Chiefs have to be seriously bad ass to earn the right to wear the giant feathered HR Pufnstuf outfit.

HR Pufnstuf, really?

• I hated the scene with the street musician couple. Before they pulled the holier-than-thou attitude on the tourists, I thought they were recent arrival carpetbaggeurs.

I thought the same thing, R*ss! But the girl got a pass 'cause a) she wasn't rude and b) she's a cutie pie. Who is she??

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Costello is in the series because they're trying to recreat an album he recorded in NO after Katrina. Just like the opening 2nd line parade in the 1st episode was to re-create the first one that happened after the storm. They're mixing in some real events into the series.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i need this show to start here in new zealand already.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I hated the scene with the street musician couple. Before they pulled the holier-than-thou attitude on the tourists, I thought they were recent arrival carpetbaggeurs.

That scene was so low-budget it looked liked it was filmed on the backlot of Universal Studios. *cue bystanders in the background nodding head to casio keyboard/violin version of the Saints Go Marchin IN*

• It wasn't a great scene, but it was a very David Simon scene at the same time. I think the episode was just about tourist tension, all as a build up to letting Lester kick ass. Hope the other dude was alright...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The dude who Big Chief ("Lester") kicked his ass? He's dead, baby...

the dude that Lambreaux kills was played by a friend of a friend.

he told me they spray-painted a piece of hard foam to look like a pipe, and that Clarke Peters actually hit him with it pretty damn hard!

his character is, indeed, dead.

• i need this show to start here in new zealand already.

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/182611241/treme?tab=comments

This is something I posted on another board, in response to some chest-pumping Texans capping on Louisiana...

As someone who mostly grew up in New Orleans and has spent most of my life since in Texas...y'all have some wack and basically clueless opinions about Louisiana.

Are people in Louisiana technically dumber, drunker, and more ignorant than in other states...probably, yes. Corruption runs rampant, pollution is off the meter, and old school-styled racism persists.

But all that's just on one hand. On the other hand...there is indeed the culture. New Orleans was for quite some time the New York of its day. And that translates today as not just all that great music and food, but the unique way that people of different backgrounds relate to each other. It's the only truly Creole place in the United States.

And just that so many in Louisiana live on swamps. It's a whole different lifestyle than you find among the dryfoots. When I moved to Houston as a teenager, down near Armand Bayou in Clear Lake, I experienced all sorts of similarities to what I had previously been used to down in New Orleans. I saw even more of the same when I would visit Galveston.

I dunno, it's hard to explain but there is something that comes with living in a swampy Afro-French gumbo pot of a place that gives everyone a certain charisma, a joie de vivre, that I have yet to find in other so-called superior places like say California. Compared to the model I grew up on in New Orleans, I honestly wonder what's up with all of these, and I don't mean to insult but I'm just being honest here...half-people that I've been forced to deal with since leaving Louisiana.

Texas of course has its own thing going on, being that it used to be Mexico and it's got its own flavor of cultural goodness. But still, Texans are less opinionated and more prone to frequent strip malls and live in cookie-cutter suburbs and are content to settle on what's popular/common rather than what's really hitting than are their crafty Louisiana neighbors.

But yeah, overall point is that if you are a Texan vigorously hating on Louisiana...you simply just ain't knowing.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I hated the scene with the street musician couple. Before they pulled the holier-than-thou attitude on the tourists, I thought they were recent arrival carpetbaggeurs.

I wholly agree. Is it just me or do some of the White characters seem a bit one-dimensional? Just a gut reaction so far. For the most part I am liking it, although I am missing the inherent tension that The Wire's cop show genre had going for it, gave it a lot more momentum than I am seeing in this series so far. But at least it is trying to bring audiences something new, which is certainly welcome.

And I too was confused about if Big Chief killed that dude, but I was distracted a bit while watching it last night.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I thought it was pretty obvious that the kid was dead. Lambreaux's body language suggested it, plus, although it was a dark scene, I think they showed the kid was not breathing or moving.

Oh yeah and the street musician chick is this girl, actor slash violinist from NY:

http://www.luciamicarelli.com/ (website's lame, splash page and a link that takes you to myspace)

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Sorry, couldn't resist...

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I believe it was implied that Lambreaux killed him by the way he stood over his body.

FATALITY