Treme

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
The only trailer I could find is embedded here. Here's the NY Times Mag article on David Simon for this wknd. I will watch anything associated with Simon and/or the Bunk. There seems also to be significant music-r content to this series.Has anyone seen a leak or anything?

Comments

• looks great.

hopefully, hbo is fully behind this -- they kinda fell off over the last year or so.

haven't seen a leak yet.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    steve zhan plays a harvey canalesque character on the show.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

This made me LOL, though I don't really know why.

From the Wikipedia:

"Other musical guests will include Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, Elvis Costello, Steve Earle, Donald Harrison Jr., Galactic, Trombone Shorty Andrews, Deacon John, and the Rebirth and Trem? Brass Bands."

Sounds good, though I am biased as a huge Wire fan. I am also interested if there will be any revisionist history vis-a-vis the Treme taking a "relatively" small amount of damage from Katrina.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Generation Kill is underrated.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    http://www.offbeat.com/2010/04/01/hbos-treme-to-tell-the-truth/

An article we did this month that focuses almost entirely on the music.

One thing's for sure--they're definitely trying to do right by the musicians in NOLA.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thanks for the heads-up on this.

Who caught it last night? I suppose this is the thread we should talk about the actual show.

Typical of a Simon show, the initial installment had lots of dialog and little exposition. I'd say it's hard to evaluate a series of this kind based upon the first episode but I saw a lot that made me excited. John Goodman's character seems capable of full Walter Sobchak mode, but I'm told that his character is more nuanced. Lots of Simonesque anger already: take that Tower Records!

The one thing that struck me as a departure from the style of the Wire is the inclusion of non-diegetic music in Trem?, a rarity outside of the final montages in the Wire. Makes sense, given the importance of music to the show.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The one thing that struck me as a departure from the style of the Wire is the inclusion of non-diegetic music in Trem?, a rarity outside of the final montages in the Wire. Makes sense, given the importance of music to the show.

At the risk of sounding like a carpetbagguer -- a topic that will likely be displayed often on "Treme" and forever-ever on the Strut -- I loved it. I got hooked in the first few minutes by that little talk of the fedoras and then the parade: non-diegetic like whoa. Seeing a few of the musicians do a little turn and then dance into the streets just had a great energy that I, in cold Chicago, do not see displayed often enough.

As far as the how realistic is the realism of Naw'lins, I'll leave that to the folks better qualified to nit-pick its inconsistencies. But with anything that strives for the real, there will be a few missteps. As a reporter, I found fault in the way "The Wire" addressed the media in the final season, as I am sure some inner city teachers did in Season 4, and some seasoned cops in the entire series, and explosive experts did with The Hurt Locker. That misses the point, though -- isn't it more important that it comes pretty close? Obviously, if you write a story for a newspaper or magazine or blog, you want to do right by the people most intimately involved and also by the people who may be learning about it for the first time. Simon and Co. take an almost documentary care to this process and yet it opens it up to criticism when it doesn't seem as real as it could have been.

• jjohnsonjjohnson 23 Posts
    had no clue i was in for 1.5 hours or Treme when i first turned it on.
    but by the end, i was pretty fascinated. really enjoyed the characters and seeing the different opinions of returning to the New Orleans.

• I thought it was great. One of my favorite parts about The Wire was definitely the great dialog, and it looks like I won't be let down. The music was great, it really kinda made the feel of the whole show right on. My hope is that it will get some of those jazz haters and the like to appreciate music differently ( the community, expressive potential, not always something that "rocks", etc...).

Plus...
    John Goodman's character seems capable of full Walter Sobchak mode
    I am so incredibly down.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I loved the first episode. The music alone was great. The DJ guy blasting Mystikal and going to Tower was great for a music nerd. The marching band at the beginning and the funeral at the end were fantastic. Goodman blowing up at the reporter and than NPR, etc. Looking forward to how it progresses.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a carpetbagguer -- a topic that will likely be displayed often on "Treme" and forever-ever on the Strut -- I loved it. I got hooked in the first few minutes by that little talk of the fedoras and then the parade: non-diegetic like whoa. Seeing a few of the musicians do a little turn and then dance into the streets just had a great energy that I, in cold Chicago, do not see displayed often enough.

As far as the how realistic is the realism of Naw'lins, I'll leave that to the folks better qualified to nit-pick its inconsistencies. But with anything that strives for the real, there will be a few missteps. As a reporter, I found fault in the way "The Wire" addressed the media in the final season, as I am sure some inner city teachers did in Season 4, and some seasoned cops in the entire series, and explosive experts did with The Hurt Locker. That misses the point, though -- isn't it more important that it comes pretty close? Obviously, if you write a story for a newspaper or magazine or blog, you want to do right by the people most intimately involved and also by the people who may be learning about it for the first time. Simon and Co. take an almost documentary care to this process and yet it opens it up to criticism when it doesn't seem as real as it could have been.

I think the more you strive (loudly) for accuracy, the more scrutiny you come in for. Even when your representation of a genre/character/city happens to be way more accurate than anything else out. Oftentimes the less realistic it is the less criticism it engenders.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I loved the first episode. The music alone was great. The DJ guy blasting Mystikal and going to Tower was great for a music nerd. The marching band at the beginning and the funeral at the end were fantastic. Goodman blowing up at the reporter and than NPR, etc. Looking forward to how it progresses.

Yes, I agree with all of this, I'm hooked, can't wait to see the next episode. Steve Zhan kind of makes me want to put my head through a wall usually, but somehow his annoying, over-the-top acting style works here. It's also great to see actors from the Wire of course, and John Goodman? Game, set, match. this should be a great series. Oh, and Steve Zhan's character trying to trade an out-of-print CD box set for a $350 bottle of wine had me laughing.

"yeah but it's out of print!" as he tries to trade the wine for the CD

Actually when the DJ was blasting Mystikal to the neigbors I thought why the hell is he playing something so old? But then it hit me, he's a record nerd so he'll play something old

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I wonder how many episodes it'll take before I stop screaming "Bunk!" and "Lester Freamon!" at the screen.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Herm, lol, I was doing that too. "Lester! Yesss!!!" haha. I expect we may see some more familiar faces from the Wire. I hope so, anyway. Bubbles needs to make an appearance.

Definitely Bubbles! Bodie too! And Prop Joe!!

I have to admit it's a little jarring to see Wendell Pierce playing a dude scraping by and hustling dudes for change, but then again I'm on my 4th run-through of The Wire so it's not like I ever cleansed my palate of his Bunk character.

Who's the dude who played the hauling company owner? Man, I don't get this feeling often but I took a liking to his character and the actor's performance immediately.

Also, Lester's daughter (there I go again!) looks familiar. At first I thought she was one of Omar's henchwomen, but the more I saw
    her I realized it's not.

Oh, there was a part where one of the characters said something about "down to the wire." My friend and I yelled out "yeah!!" Ha ha! Such nerds we are...

• Uncut Funk!

I'm already hooked.

And before someone blahblahblahs with "dudes trying to turn this into The Wire: New Orleans," I'll just say this...SHUT IT MOUTH, RAPLIPS.

• You can already tell this isn't going to be The Wire - Part II. This is going to have a positive tone, about a city and a community rebuilding itself. The Wire was pretty f*cking dark. I'm sure it will be similar in certain respects, but this is a completely different kind of story, I think.

Agreed. In one of those 30 min preview shows HBO did Simon said he wanted to show how NO survived Katrina and about it's musical roots.

Also, Lester's daughter (there I go again!) looks familiar. At first I thought she was one of Omar's henchwomen, but the more I saw her I realized it's not.

You shouldn't second guess your instincts, although it only looks like she's in the pilot.

As far as the hauling company owner (Robinette), I he's a new face unless you followed Prison Break.

As far as Wire Actor spotting, it's the same game people who watched Oz or Homicide played with the Wire. Especially Oz.

Oh snap! It is her!! Thanks! For some reason I couldn't find her on Treme's IMDB page last night.

Just to follow up on what I said myself, I think the survival of the city theme was laid out throughout the entire 1st episode. Ex: the opening parade, the chief asking the hauling man to help him decked out in his parade garb, the funeral at the end. Even little things like making a desert out of a apple pie the chef woman pulled out of her purse when Goodman and his wife go to the restaurant. Those show that life and death continued in New Orleans just weeks after the storm.