common records you don't see

2»

Comments

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I was sort of thinking of a similar theme the other day - and have no idea why this record randomly popped into my head. Not totally common, but I was thinking how I would always stumble upon this, and now I can't remember the last time I've seen it. So bizarre.

Not that I care at all - just sorta was like "huh.....that's kinda weird"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Something I've noticed is that Thin Lizzy records are suddenly nowhere to be found.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Something I've noticed is that Thin Lizzy records are suddenly nowhere to be found.

I'm not currently looking - but I remember years ago noticing that Jail Break seemed to suddenly evaporate. I guess it's a case of commonality when you're not necessarily interested and then when you do try to track a particular item down, all copies just sort of seem to have grown legs.

• Something I've noticed is that Thin Lizzy records are suddenly nowhere to be found.

I'm not currently looking - but I remember years ago noticing that Jail Break seemed to suddenly evaporate. I guess it's a case of commonality when you're not necessarily interested and then when you do try to track a particular item down, all copies just sort of seem to have grown legs.

Big cosign on all of these.

1) These past couple of years, I've been on a major Thin Lizzy kick...I think I'm missing a couple of the elpees on the London label, but I've found most of their albums. However, you'd be surprised at how many stores either had no Lizzy at all, or were pricing common records like Jailbreak in the $10 range.

2) The most common record in the world always becomes rare when you're looking for it. I'd see Michael Bloomfield's four Takoma albums lying around for years; while I wanted to hear them, they weren't top priority. Then in the early 2000's, not long after that Bloomfield oral history biography came out, I was seriously trying to track those albums down and they suddenly became scarce. And it's not like these were landmark records that defined his career, either...I have these albums now, and didn't pay much for the whole stack, but they sure didn't all turn up at once.

• Something I've noticed is that Thin Lizzy records are suddenly nowhere to be found.

I'm starting to see the Stones' Exile On Main Street disappearing, too. Not just on vinyl, but oddly enough, on CD! And I know without checking Amazon.com that this joker must still be in print. The Stones are too classic; deleting Exile is like deleting Catcher In The Rye or the Bible.

I'm starting to see the Stones' Exile On Main Street disappearing, too. Not just on vinyl, but oddly enough, on CD! And I know without checking Amazon.com that this joker must still be in print. The Stones are too classic; deleting Exile is like deleting Catcher In The Rye or the Bible.

U make me wanna cop tonite...out of fear.

I dont ever recall The Stones ever having a Remastered Catalog project.

Has this happened.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    every second record at the Amsterdam show was a f*ckin Saxon record.

weird shit.

Bowie seems to have have dried up.

used to see Led Zep for days too, now its only Deep Purple.

Leonard Cohen's dwindling too.

not raers by any stretch, but the ebbs and flows always fascinate me.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Stones had a big remastering kick 5-10 years back with cardboard covers & SACD discs.
    Led Zep is still everywhere.

Has this happened.

Twice, I believe.

• 1) These past couple of years, I've been on a major Thin Lizzy kick...I think I'm missing a couple of the elpees on the London label, but I've found most of their albums. However, you'd be surprised at how many stores either had no Lizzy at all, or were pricing common records like Jailbreak in the $10 range.

I can't keep Jailbreak in stock at that price - it sells in hours.

Second and third tier hard rock is selling like crazy, so if you need any Cactus or Road records buy 'em now.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    this classic still turns up all the time around these parts (copenhagen).. i sorta expected that record to at some point, become one of those once common ones, but it hasnt happened and it still turns up on the reg, almost always pretty minty too.. i tend to grab it if its under a buck, last one i found was the chinese issue actually, not sure if anyone pulled that before

• 1) These past couple of years, I've been on a major Thin Lizzy kick...I think I'm missing a couple of the elpees on the London label, but I've found most of their albums. However, you'd be surprised at how many stores either had no Lizzy at all, or were pricing common records like Jailbreak in the $10 range.

I can't keep Jailbreak in stock at that price - it sells in hours.

Second and third tier hard rock is selling like crazy, so if you need any Cactus or Road records buy 'em now.

But I can understand Road being rare, because no one bought it in the first place, and Motown was never really noted for their rock acts. But Thin Lizzy (and to a lesser extent Cactus) sold a lot of discs in their time, so it's rather odd that the bigger names in the genre would disappear.

I've been toying with the idea of getting Uriah Heep's Look At Yourself. (I already have Sweet Freedom and think it's pretty good.) Guess I'd better do it now before the Japanese try to sell it back to me for $40.

Has this happened.

Twice, I believe.

The Stones did have remastered catalog projects, but IIRC those were for the albums on the London label. Not so much for the later albums on their own label (who put out Exile).

I put off gripping that LP for a long time because it didn't seem Essential. When it came out, everybody thought it was a letdown compared to the previous LP, Sticky Fingers. Hearing the whole thing in a store, I could understand why. Still good, but not monumental - I'll get it someday. Now that day has come, and all the CD places have everything BUT Exile (let alone the vinyl albums).

Has this happened.

Twice, I believe.

The Stones did have remastered catalog projects, but IIRC those were for the albums on the London label. Not so much for the later albums on their own label (who put out Exile).

I put off gripping that LP for a long time because it didn't seem Essential. When it came out, everybody thought it was a letdown compared to the previous LP, Sticky Fingers. Hearing the whole thing in a store, I could understand why. Still good, but not monumental - I'll get it someday. Now that day has come, and all the CD places have everything BUT Exile (let alone the vinyl albums).

Exile was done twice, I'm not sure about all of the other titles, though.

• they did a re-release of the albums from "sticky fingers" forwards in 2009. there was supposed to be a double lp re-release of "exile on main st." in late 2009. as far as i know, the albums were not remastered.

particularly "Vagabonds of the Western Worlds" i never see that one

• I put off gripping that LP for a long time because it didn't seem Essential. When it came out, everybody thought it was a letdown compared to the previous LP, Sticky Fingers. Hearing the whole thing in a store, I could understand why. Still good, but not monumental - I'll get it someday. Now that day has come, and all the CD places have everything BUT Exile (let alone the vinyl albums).

Seriously? It seems "Exile" has always been the critics favorite...it's most definitely "monumental"! That's interesting that at the time it was a let down...you seriously need to pick it up!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Seriously? It seems "Exile" has always been the critics favorite...

NOW it is. But not so much when it came out...

See, I'm always reading old rock magazines from the seventies...I wouldn't say I was a "collector" of them, but I have amassed a pretty good pile...and I can say with certainty that the critics weren't 100% sure about Exile when it was still brand new.

I think this album's five-star reputation grew over time, after everybody got used to it. Which I think might be the key to this record, that it grows on you.

And mind you, I heard the whole thing front to back when I worked in a record store in the nineties. I liked it, particularly the radio cuts I'd been used to hearing. But I didn't LOVE it. So I put it on my "someday" list. You're right, I do need to score a copy.

ha, strange coincidence, I'm reading a hardback CREEM anthology and just read
    Lester Bangs' original review of Exile this morning, and it was hardly positive.
    With typical Lester Bangs genius he doesn't blame the Stones themselves so much
    as talk about how the whole rock and roll scene is played out and the Stones are
    holding up better than most but it's all so tired. He talks about going back and
    forth, on one listen he loves it on another can't make it through the album.

I also read an interview in there with Richards from the Black & Blue tour,
    where both he and the interviewer make reference to the critical failure of Exile.
    That interview was more entertaining for the mad smack Richards talks about Mick Taylor

• Soulstrut classic:

Def cosign on this one. Which makes me wonder how many copies were pressed of this.

Been lookin for a copy of this forever and figured with how much notoriety it's gotten over the years I would at least find it acouple times, even with a jacked up price but never came across an actual copy until I was in DC diggin around at The Red Onion. Dude was playin a copy of it as I walked in and I asked if he was sellin it...

He said, "of course, just give me a buck, it's a little scuffed".

Acouple scuffs but still clean as fukkkkkkk, one of my favorite find experiences

• I went to four record stores yesterday looking for Exile.

Conclusion: it must be the white rock answer to People...Hold On (even though it went all the way to #1 on the Billboard charts). Didn't see it at all, vinyl or CD. I bought CD's of Larry Young's Unity for $1.99 and Bob Dylan's No Direction Home: The Soundtrack (from the "Bootleg Series") for $2.99, but Exile is indeed in exile. It's moments like these that make me go, "damn, I miss Tower Records!"

ha, strange coincidence, I'm reading a hardback CREEM anthology and just read
    Lester Bangs' original review of Exile this morning, and it was hardly positive.
    With typical Lester Bangs genius he doesn't blame the Stones themselves so much
    as talk about how the whole rock and roll scene is played out and the Stones are
    holding up better than most but it's all so tired. He talks about going back and
    forth, on one listen he loves it on another can't make it through the album.

I was reading the original, red cover Rolling Stone Record Guide last night. Here it was, seven years later, and Dave Marsh still wasn't totally sold on this album. He basically said that when it was good, it was real good, but since it was a two-record set, there was a lot of waste.