common records you don't see

ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
edited January 2010 in Strut Central
Name a completely obvious, commonass record that you just don't see in real life for whatever reason. For me, I figured after moving to Ann Arbor that I'd find Billy Squire - Tale of the Tape (Big Beat) in every rock/dollar bin around, but I've yet to see it. Obviously it's not too pressing a situation, but I just don't get it.

Comments

• Al Hirt - Soul in the horn

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    Bob James - 2

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Name a completely obvious, commonass record that you just don't see in real life for whatever reason.

Not trying to be a smartass, but if you don't see it in the field ever, then it is not common. Got to be seen regularly to be common in the first place.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Name a completely obvious, commonass record that you just don't see in real life for whatever reason.

Not trying to be a smartass, but if you don't see it in the field ever, then it is not common. Got to be seen regularly to be common in the first place.

maybe a better theme is: records you would had assumed were common (big labels, artists etc), but never seem to turn up (poor distribution + sales etc).

maybe a good example is kendricks' 'people hold on'? or is that just uncommon in good shape...? for being so well known, ive found it less than 5 times in 10 years.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

maybe a better theme is: records you would had assumed were common (big labels, artists etc), but never seem to turn up (poor distribution + sales etc).

The Isley Brothers, "Get Into Something" LP

I'd say the first two albums by Big Star, on the Ardent label.

The Ardent LP's by the Hot Dogs and Brian Alexander Robinson turn up all the time, and those records don't even have the benefit of a cult following! Yet Big Star does, and the OG's are mighty scarce. Do people buy the Hot Dogs' Say What You Mean thinking it sounds like Big Star? And then sell it back when they realize that it is just another wretched 1970's rock LP?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

The Ardent LP's by the Hot Dogs and Brian Alexander Robinson turn up all the time, and those records don't even have the benefit of a cult following! Yet Big Star does, and the OG's are mighty scarce. Do people buy the Hot Dogs' Say What You Mean thinking it sounds like Big Star? And then sell it back when they realize that it is just another wretched 1970's rock LP?

i believe ardent was briefly touched on in the stax history book (title escapes me), and it was definitely not managed well. no surprise their best stuff was apparently pressed in short supply and not distributed well. i wonder how many thousands of copies were avail as $1.98 cut outs in the mid to late 70s? oof.

actually ive never even heard of or seen the Hot Dogs and Brian Alexander Robinson lps in my life before you just mentioned them now. so i guess in my case, all Ardent is scarce.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Les McCann "Layers"

• Patrice Rushen Prelusion and before the dawn.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    All surprisingly hard to find, (and in good condition).

You could also do spin-off thread: Supposedly "rare" records that you see all the time

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

The Isley Brothers, "Get Into Something" LP

It took me 3 years to find this in the field, refusing to buy an Isley Bros[/b] LP on eBay.

• Soulstrut classic:

• Soulstrut classic:

Def cosign on this one. Which makes me wonder how many copies were pressed of this.

• Name a completely obvious, commonass record that you just don't see in real life for whatever reason.

Let me rephrase: Name a record that, though a large quantity was pressed and it seems others see it quite often, isn't as readily available to you due to location, timing, bad luck, or any other situational variables.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    It took me several years to find a John Phillips Wolfking of LA in the field.

I have found several of the Kendricks in dollar bins recently, but generally trashed.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The idea of a 'common' record is somewhat misleading in this day and age. Any given title is just one of literally millions that have been produced so, with few exceptions, your chances of finding a particular record are actually pretty small, even if it was a big seller in it's time.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    eBay is the real world.

Soulstrut classic:

Def cosign on this one. Which makes me wonder how many copies were pressed of this.

I'm sure it had a good-sized run, especially since "Girl, You Need A Change Of Mind" was an early disco favorite (and Motown reissued it in the eighties). I could see it being deleted, but never figured it would be hopelessly rare.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

i believe ardent was briefly touched on in the stax history book (title escapes me), and it was definitely not managed well. no surprise their best stuff was apparently pressed in short supply and not distributed well. i wonder how many thousands of copies were avail as $1.98 cut outs in the mid to late 70s? oof.

actually ive never even heard of or seen the Hot Dogs and Brian Alexander Robinson lps in my life before you just mentioned them now. so i guess in my case, all Ardent is scarce.
    I don't think I've ever seen those Ardent LPs either, Ardent 45s yes, but LPs no. Weird. "People Hold On" is a good call, it seems like even if you come across something resembling an Eddie Kendricks collection that LP is never there. The LP's on either side will be present, but it's like that one totally missed his/any fanbase.

Al Hirt - Soul in the horn
    definitely surprising, but when it does turn up it's usually cheap & in amongst about 50 other Al Hirt LPs. It's just whether or not you have the tenacity to flip through them all on the offchance of finding it.

• Les McCann "Layers"

really, I live in Providence and i have found at least four copies of Layers and Talk to the people in the last five years

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I've never seen a Marvin Gaye "what's going on" in the field. I'm looking for an original copy since ten years an I refuse to buy it on ebay because I've got the reissue which is ok for me until I find one for cheap.
    I guess the reason for this is that it hasn't been such a big seller in Germany...

I've never seen a Marvin Gaye "what's going on" in the field. I'm looking for an original copy since ten years an I refuse to buy it on ebay because I've got the reissue which is ok for me until I find one for cheap.
    I guess the reason for this is that it hasn't been such a big seller in Germany...
    This is one that is in my experience always thrashed and overpriced. Turns up but not clean and cheap.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Buster Williams "Pinnacle" is definitely NOT a common record.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Buster Williams "Pinnacle" is definitely NOT a common record.

Agreed. It's a rare one - but it's on a common label and by a well known artist whose others LPs on the same label are very common. ToeFunk acknowledged that "common records you don't see" is a bit of an oxymoron, adding, "records you would had assumed were common (big labels, artists etc), but never seem to turn up."

• TensTens 27 Posts
    I don't know exactly how common it's supposed to be. But ever since the thread with Pete Drake "Forever" and hearing it's a dollar record I keep expecting to find it at a thrift but never do. Damn things 15-25 on eBay all the time though. I refuse to pay that plus shipping.

I don't know exactly how common it's supposed to be. But ever since the thread with Pete Drake "Forever" and hearing it's a dollar record I keep expecting to find it at a thrift but never do. Damn things 15-25 on eBay all the time though. I refuse to pay that plus shipping.

The album or the 45?

I don't know about the album - it just shows up when it shows up - but the single was a Top 40 hit, which would automatically put it in wider circulation...I haven't been actively looking for it, but the few times I've seen it, it was cheap. I know I didn't pay much for mine.

I don't think I've ever seen those Ardent LPs either, Ardent 45s yes, but LPs no.

Now, I NEVER see Ardent singles at all. I found two 45's by Cargoe (and one of those was warped, so that doesn't even count), but those were one-offs, it's not like they show up as often as "Mr. Big Stuff" or "Who's Making Love."

oh yeah, definitely not as frequent as "Mr Big Stuff" or "Who's Making Love" et al, but in my travels I've bought a few Ardent 45s, not common by any stretch but not as elusive as the LPs, strange how differently people come across things.

• TensTens 27 Posts

The album or the 45?

I don't know about the album - it just shows up when it shows up - but the single was a Top 40 hit, which would automatically put it in wider circulation...I haven't been actively looking for it, but the few times I've seen it, it was cheap. I know I didn't pay much for mine.

The album. I should just grip the 45 but I also like the cuts For Those That Cry, Sleep Walk, Still, and The Spook