tiny bit of those good old W E E K E N D F I N D S

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
few fleamarket scrape ups from yesterday

Comments

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    you seem to consistently get interesting stuff from fleamarkets- - my city doenst even have one!!! bah!

here's my recent booty - these are charities, a trip to Ben's in guildford & one ebay buy:

LULU (amazing first track - all bongos and fuzz!)
    TRIANGLE - "homonymie" (very pleased to stumble across some tasty French prog for cheap. later album but still has some great moments - -especially the track "la route infernale")
    PEDDLERS (ben after this one for cheap for a while)
    SHADOWS - "specs appeal" (crap, apart from "spider juice" - -a crisp break followed by a fun library-esque groover)
    CAKE (brilliant album - some spector-ish northern numbers, some fragile medieval folk bits, and some funky soul covers. great production)
    RAINBOW (couldnt resist - great theme tune. the rest is pretty twee kiddie folk)
    BYRDS
    FLETCH ost (a couple of great incidental bits!)
    MANZANERA - "diamond head" (feat Robert Wyatt & Eno amongst others. best i've heard of his... not amazing, though)

hit a carboot this morning:

GOLDEN AVATAR (mostly rubbish - but the last track is great)
    KOOL & THE GANG - "wild & peaceful" (not my cup of tea, really -- but i do like the track "heaven at once")
    DEVO (one of my favourite albums of all time - got a couple of copies already, but not a yellow vinyl one, so picked it up)
    NEW WAVE (punk comp on Vertigo - Ramones, Dead boys, Richard Hell etc... and the amazing "shake some action" by the FLAMIN GROOVIES)
    FATBACK BAND (this is a bit trashed, unfortunately)

plus some 45's:

ALACRAN - "sticky" (pretty fun funky rock - nothing special)
    NING - "machine" (this is more like it! brilliant and pretty scarey proto-glam. b-side has a lovely break but doenst do much for me...)
    ANGE - "docteur man" (ben after this for ages - exactly the sound i like. dancefloor prog)
    LAZY FACE (private press soft rock rubbish with nice open drums. boner breaks)
    SCOOBY DOO - "mystery incorporated" (mike mcnaught-penned kiddie funk. both sides are great)
    WOLF PEOPLE - "tiny circles" (UK band making amazing and flutey prog - this is their new single. everyone should pick it up.)
    ROXY MUSIC - "virginia plain" (had to grab the p/s)
    JUNIOR MURVIN - "police & theives"
    OSMONDS - "crazy horses" (great, but not as great as...)
    OSMONDS - "hold her tight" (ROCKING!!)
    NASHVIlLE TEENS - 'tobacco road" (half-decent beat. have these guys done anything really great?)
    ROLLING STONES - "play with fire"
    SWEET - "the burning" (as introduced to me at an Evil Kitty last month - - heavy rocking b-side to "hell raiser")
    LEN BARRY - "1-2-3"
    ANITA HARRIS - "clapping song" (great version, ripe for the dancefloor - spare)
    CHICAGO - "i'm a man"
    CHICORY TIP - "son of my father" (these guys suck - but i keep picking them up as they use such ace squelchy moog sounds on their glam tracks!)

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    naw its just as wack as anywhere else.. really hard to come up with anything decent actually, lots of small fleas around town on the weekend, lots of crappy fleas, so mostly its just a waste of time.. felt good though pulling that bobby callender from a crate of pure doo doo 80s euro top 10 dance (s)hit comp lps..

btw, any strutters with jazz knowledge know what this thingy goes for?

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Nice 80's NYC Reggae Version of Burt's Walk on BY. Putting the audio up shortly.

More NYC reggae on 1 of my favorite Brooklyn Labels

johnny osbourne still sounds this good 20 years later.

Reminds of copping the Stretch armstrong / diddy mix tape 10-12 years ago while on Jury duty downtown Brooklyn

Sugar minott 10" Dub plate. African Roots

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Found a bunch of nice stuff this weekend. Here are two highlights. The first one is not for sale, the second is (and needs a price czech) -

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    nice find on the Millie

hpb/goodwill

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    50 cent thrift store finds from El Paso

• Found a bunch of nice stuff this weekend. Here are two highlights. The first one is not for sale, the second is (and needs a price czech) -

That Mizz Mean just sold for a shit ton of money a week or so ago. I think $800+. Who knows if that's repeatable or not though...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nice 80's NYC Reggae Version of Burt's Walk on BY. Putting the audio up shortly.

The I-Tones aren't from NYC, they are from Boston.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    cant wait for that walk on by version sounds great

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Got the chance to mint up on some common soul 45s with unplayed stock (always nice) amongst other things.

• Street digging finds all.

Holmes, nice 7's. I like that Swiz record -- I found some Victory records Haaaaaaardcore this weekend.

Ken Boothe . . . smooth. Congrats on the nice find's yinz.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Holmes: it seems like every week you have at least 4-5 Eddie Bo records in your finds. What's up with that??

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts

i am a sucker for reggae covers for some ungodly reason

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    ^^^ no shame, they rock... love that comp on PK from a few yrs ago: Darker then Blue: Soul from Jamtown.

On a different tip, it's festival season here so my 'finds' consist of live acts these days. I went possibly the best jazz concert of my life last night: Ornette Coleman. 79 yrs old and he's still badass. On the second encore the band did his classic 'Lonely Woman', midway through they ripped into an out version of MJ's 'Beat It' as a tribute, so cool.
    I got a signature from the man before the show. Amazing that such a soft spoken, unassuming, gracious dude stirred up so much shit.

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    Killer score on that Barrington 12". I found one a few months ago and it's terrific. His most sought-after 12", and for good reason.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

here it is man. enjoy

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1333232&an=0&page=0#Post1333232

• ^^^ no shame, they rock... love that comp on PK from a few yrs ago: Darker then Blue: Soul from Jamtown.

On a different tip, it's festival season here so my 'finds' consist of live acts these days. I went possibly the best jazz concert of my life last night: Ornette Coleman. 79 yrs old and he's still badass. On the second encore the band did his classic 'Lonely Woman', midway through they ripped into an out version of MJ's 'Beat It' as a tribute, so cool.
    I got a signature from the man before the show. Amazing that such a soft spoken, unassuming, gracious dude stirred up so much shit.

Wow! That's awesome.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Holmes: it seems like every week you have at least 4-5 Eddie Bo records in your finds. What's up with that??
    i'm a fan, they're off ebay, so no real story sorry, no Eddie Bo stockpile down here in NZ, the earlier ones are going pretty cheap these days so I'm just picking them up pretty easy at the moment.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    ^^^ no shame, they rock... love that comp on PK from a few yrs ago: Darker then Blue: Soul from Jamtown.

who was with him? prime time?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

rey, this the joint off the christmas album with the ill horns?
    and is that cal tja in your avatar?

i did real well at the philly record show, making a nice stack of loot selling shit and picking up some nice titles for good prices in a quick walk around before i set up. also picked up a parking ticket, despite having biked my twelve crates down to the spot the night before on a bike trailer. very "doh" related.

i'll post some pics in a few.
    didnt see many strutters there.
    highlight was convincing a 38 year old hiphop head to spend a little cash on Knight sof the blue communion...and telling him that it was a guaranteed sale, i would gladly refund every cent. he called me the next day saying it was the craziest shit he ever heard in his life.

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
    Scorpion and Roena are antique store finds. Surprisingly Beginng of the End and White Heat were in my freind's Dad's garage. Who would have thought the phrase "Oh, my dad has some records..." would yield something besides boring yatch rock

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    what's that SCORPION record like?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    what's that SCORPION record like?

It's a total terd. The best thing in it it's the cover.
    I think I still have the mp3s. Holler if you want to
    listen to them.

Peace

rey, this the joint off the christmas album with the ill horns?
    and is that cal tja in your avatar?
    It's shortened but, yeah, same track with the CIA horns. And yeah the avatar is Tjader, Fantasy 3232--I took the words out.

Scorpion isnt THAT bad. fairly tepid psych/funk

• TreehouseTreehouse 120 Posts
    TERD? I wouldnt go that far. I felt like it was well worth the $3 i paid for it. Expectation is much different when you're not dropping $50, like i've seen it go for in the past. Pencilface, acutally i could imagine you liking this record but...

Cover = better than the music

Upgrade: