STEAK Thread

vinylstalkervinylstalker 397 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
With all of the goofy threads about pickles-n-such lately,I've decided to bring it back to the basics.This thread was inspired by my dinner last night, 2 thin cut t-bones, cheap at $6 apiece, pan searedwith herbed butter and salt-n-pepa.Simple, basic, low-end even on the beef scale.So delicious.Had filet last weekend out at a fancy spot forthe ladys b-day.BBQ shwimps on top. Medium rare.Soooo good.Rep your fav. steak.Who else pan sears? The lady is just figuring it out.I do okay on the grill. Tips, please.

Comments

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    salt & pepper.

medium rare.

nice cabernet or bordeaux.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    smoking hot cast iron skillet. thick steak that's been acclimated to room temp, rubbed with vegetable or other hot-temp oil (no olive). garlic salt and black pepper. settle on a warmed plate, covered in foil for a minute or two. wine or bourbon.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Porterhouse for two, Luger-style.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Steak Florentine from some out of the way Tuscan bistro...one of the 1Kg muthas and a bottle of wine

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Smoking hot(dont burn the oil-shimmering)Cast Iron Skillet. Thick steak that's been acclimated to room temp. Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper(or smash some peppercorns in ziploc and spread). Settle on a room temp plate, covered in foil for 15 mins to let the juices stay. Red Wine(Shiraz/Cabernet Blend.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    wont you burn the pepper on a cast iron like that?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    wont you burn the pepper on a cast iron like that?

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    medium/rare eye fillet.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Flank steak in a slow cooker = crazy delicious

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i love my 16oz Angus Rib Eye thick cut medium, no sauce w/ fries.

but i miss them good ol Aussie Rump steak too.

b/w

Waggyu sucks!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Medium raer, roasted in butter, seasoned with salt and freshly grounded peper and roast potatoes and fresh rucola salat.

BTW:
    Steak is one of the very few typical american dishes which we (!continental!) europeans can actually enjoy. Be proud of it.

• BTW:
    Steak is one of the very few typical american dishes which we (!continental!) europeans can actually enjoy. Be proud of it.

For real?

I've had EuroFriends to visit and never thought to take them
    to a good steakhouse.

For the record:

Porterhouse 1-1/2 inch thick, on the medium side of medium rare.
    Roasted potatoes with dill and butter.
    A nice PinotNoir.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Ribeye or Strip steak
    Salt
    Pepper
    (maybe) garlic
    Medium Raer
    Mushrooms on the side
    Asparagus on the side

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

I usually rub thick cut rib eye or new york strip steaks in some Hawaiian Alaea rock salt. Did that last night actually.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I like my filet mignon black&blue, everything else raer.
    Nothing sadder than an overcooked piece of beef.

Ribeyes are great when seared in butter with a generous amount of onions. Needs to be cut extra thick. Pour in a well measured splash of dark red wine when both sides are nice in color, put the pan in the oven at low heat for about 5 minutes for the juices to settle. Hmmm...

Most important thing about any piece of beef (besdides the filet obviously) is that it's gotta be marbled. You won't get the taste without the right amount of fat.

A good steak is best with just bread and wine or beer. No other sides. Respect the meat.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I usually rub thick cut rib eye or new york strip steaks in some Hawaiian Alaea rock salt. Did that last night actually.

I apologize for the ABC link but it was one of the first results: http://www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/4,497.html

• Best Steak Beer: Bitburger.
    (I know it's pedestrian, but really.)

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Smoking hot(dont burn the oil-shimmering)Cast Iron Skillet. Thick steak that's been acclimated to room temp. Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper(or smash some peppercorns in ziploc and spread). Settle on a room temp plate, covered in foil for 15 mins to let the juices stay. Red Wine(Shiraz/Cabernet Blend.

I'm a ribeye person. and vouch for this approach. however, if you get the right marble, you can skip the oil.

i also like t-bones, but grilled.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I apologize for the ABC link but it was one of the first results: http://www.abcstores.com/browse.cfm/4,497.html

my meat cooking look these days has been about trying different salts. mediterranean grey salt has been good for us. can one get this salt on the continental east coast?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Best Steak Beer: Bitburger.
    (I know it's pedestrian, but really.)

Good choice!

Radeberger is another nice german import that's easy to get here.
    Fuerstenberg being the best german pilsener imo, Tannenzaepfle being a close second.

Check Budvar or the easier to find Pilsener Urquell also are nice companions for a good slab of beef.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

my meat cooking look these days has been about trying different salts. mediterranean grey salt has been good for us. can one get this salt on the continental east coast?

No idea about buying it in person but that ABC link I posted has mail order along with this: http://www.formaggiokitchen.com/shop/index.php?cPath=118_81
    for the salt that was mentioned earlier.

I wish I knew how to cook

• Pilsener Urquell

I got zuper-uber-drunk on this when I was 18 and in the Army.
    The smell makes me gag now, along with Warstiener(sp?).

I don't like anything put a pils with steak.
    Porters, Weissbiers, bocks, all too thick for me when eating beef(nopause).

Can only charcoal grill, too. Gas imparts a taste to steaks like nothing else.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    There's nothing like a good piece of skirt steak on the grill cooked medium rare. It's like butta.

• Porter House
    -Lawrys Seasoning Salt
    -Pepper
    -Touch of Garlice Powder
    - Worsteshire

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Essential heads know the transaction:

Fillet Minion
    Sprinkle with pepper and a light coating of white sugar (not enough to taste but enough to create a good burned crust)
    4 minutes a side on a very hot grill then two minutes on two sides
    Rest 10 minutes, then salt to taste.

Top with saut??ed mushrooms.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    RAER is the way that I walk.

A good dijion or b??arnaise sauce is all you need.

T-Bone for BBQs
    Eye fillet for high end dining

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Porter House
    -Lawrys Seasoning Salt
    -Pepper
    -Touch of Garlice Powder
    - Worsteshire

Man, get your ass back to Texas....Let's DO THIS!!!

• medium rare sirloin or rump for me. fillet's got to little fat aka to little flava

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I want to ask a question, where would you go to buy your meat?

Have you had the chance to taste the difference of meat depending on diet? Slaughtered at different points of the year thus having different taste due to seasonal diet (hay, grass, grain)?

I know the meat we get on a mass level tend to be bred for conformity, companies are looking for that. They don't want wildly differing tastes, consumers get weirded out by that. I suggest as a treat to find a local butcher shop that manages to procure meat from smaller farmers w/o contracts to the bigshots (Tyson, IBF, Smithfield). I don't expect folks to do this every time, it does cost significantly more. Trying it once in a while, is not a bad thing at all.

If you can get access to it, even the tougher slash cheaper cuts can be used as steaks. Just have to make sure you don't ever cook any of these past medium rare.

- inside round
    - eye of round (lean cut for the fat phobic)
    - flank (vacio/bavette)
    - top sirloin

If you can find a good butcher shop, ask about em.

Cooking wise, just make sure you season liberally. If you think you added too much salt, add some more![/b] Coarse kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and some oil is all you need. Let the natural flavour shine.

I would save the fancy salts for finishing, the nuances of exotic salts are masked by cooking. Sprinkle on after resting/cutting...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    My friends family raises cattle, all grass fed, and we go up twice a year to load up on their steaks for the freezer.

It's interesting, and an absolutely different experience that going to the grocery to load up. One of the major differences being that when we decide we are going to eat one of the steaks, we have to take it out, and let it age for a week.

Its less immediate, but the results are incredible.