how do you like my comp cover?

2»

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Just use that picture of you chillin' with your portable and your rifle in your backyard. I'd buy a comp that looked like that in a heartbeat!

I second that. That is such a f*cking great photo.

Seriously.

Use that photo and a nice clean font and you're gold.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Come to think of it, using that photo would give your comp a more personal feel. What is going to distinguish your comp from all the other Nigerian disco/funk comps that have been released?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    chick's a keeper. scrap the rest.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Come to think of it, using that photo would give your comp a more personal feel. What is going to distinguish your comp from all the other Nigerian disco/funk comps that have been released?

haha... a lot of people would think that'd be totally self-absorbed and lame (and to be honest, I'd agree with that). I'm already working on a totally new design. I've thought about the store sign idea before but none of the designs I have would look right for a Disco comp...

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Honestly?

It's horrible.

Sorry

yea man. I respect what you do too much to tell you otherwise. This is really really bad.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    a lot of people would think that'd be totally self-absorbed and lame...

I thought the same thing, too. But seriously, yours is a fascinating story! The connections you made, the things you did, the places you went and the music you uncovered! Plus, weren't you making a documentary about the experience? And you had (or have?) a regular set playing the records you found in Africa.

I would be intrigued as a listener to learn about your experience. You moved to Africa solely for the purpose of digging up these records. When I look at that other comp posted here, I don't know how the label compiled it...did they go on a journey like yours? Or did they just use what they had from finds in their home country or whathaveyou.

Maybe you wouldn't use that picture for the cover design, but at least include your experience in some way in the liner notes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Trying to be constructive, I'd echo the suggestions to start from scratch. Most of the smaller design elements - fonts, the lightning, the blue sky, etc. just don't seem to work well in concert. I also think the female model comes off wrong - if she's supposed to be empowered, how come the photo directs your attention at her crotch and not her raised fist?

"I like the idea of sampling OG designs from various old covers and trying to come up with something nice"

Cosign.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    okay... I can't even look at it myself anymore.

here's my latest try. Work in process and far from finished but I hope it offends a bit less:

GAME OVER

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    While looking through a few stacks of records for inspiration, I came across these two little details that I thought you might find amusing:

signature by the former Nigerian owner:

???:

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    ???:

please to post full cover

• the new cover looks better, but the photo in the middle seems a little dull/off

Like others are saying you could comission a sign painter to do a new set of paintings. I think just the title in sign style and then use a photo for the image component. If you're are looking for images I have a stack of 70's era nigerian photos some of them have dudes wearing bellbottoms that don't read as costume like. There is even a picture of a bunch of chicks partying that could work. I would post them here but I'm in Nicaragua at the moment. Pm if you want me to send a couple of scans to you when I get back to the states on sunday.

If this is for official release and you can put a little money in it, holler at the dude Josh Dunn at wax poetics. Dude is great/easy/friendly and professional

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    My two cents: Put the heart on the back cover (it's kinda cluttering things up on the front) and move the "I Like it" where the heart is.

Also, why are the I and L capitalized in "I Like it" but not the not the i in "it"? And double quotes around that, please (unless you found that somewhere else and are reproducing it as is).

• I like the shit where it is dont go all graphic designer on it thats not really the point

• JahLarryJahLarry 62 Posts
    I like it. A lot.

To respond to hogginthefogg's post - may be right about the heart going to the back and putting "I Like it" on the right side; not sure. The simplicity of that could be cool.

Definitely wrong about correcting the quotes/capitalization of "I Like it" - if that's how it came, leave it! Looks cool and different. You don't need to copy-edit an original bubble-caption, this isn't the New Yorker.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I like the most recent one, but I'm not really feeling the faux record wear. Too "sampled cue burn in new pop song" to me.

• Options
    Put the heart on the back cover (it's kinda cluttering things up on the front) and move the "I Like it" where the heart is.

I prefer the heart on the cover but not "I LIke It". Can we see a version sans-ring wear?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Maybe think about working the literary angle:

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    ^ correct

This guy needs to be featured.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I like the ring wear. Such a defining feature of collecting african jernts.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Not that there's any shortage of input in this thread, but I just have to:

1. That sticker is so awesome, I'd just have that, huge, pasted on the front cover, on a very generic background, like a crop of a jungle perhaps?

2. The fake ringwear could work, but I feel it maybe could be accentuated to a ridiculous extreme, like the compilation you are holding in your hands has been chewn on by a crocodile, run over by motorcycles and survived 30 years of monsoon rain at the bottom of a basement.

Or not.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    My two cents: Put the heart on the back cover (it's kinda cluttering things up on the front) and move the "I Like it" where the heart is.

Also, why are the I and L capitalized in "I Like it" but not the not the i in "it"? And double quotes around that, please (unless you found that somewhere else and are reproducing it as is).

"I Like it" and the heart are from the front side of the same record cover.
    You can either make up an authentic looking cover or you can follow basic design guidelines... can't have it both ways.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The ringwear is not fake but real.
    I didn't feel like repairing it because then it'd look fake.

I do have two copies of the record I got the picture from but both have strong ringwear and th e one I chose looks nicer in my opinion.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I still think using one of those signs you had made would be awesome. Definitely would be very very original, eye-catching and amazing...a tough combo to score

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    HOW DO YOU LIKE MY COMB OVER?

• I'm mad I missed the original cover you posted. =/

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    Shoot man.....after all this input, I just wanna hear the comp!