how do you like my comp cover?

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited July 2009 in Strut Central
Not sure about the layout yet... Def want to stick with the picture, not too sure about fonts and lightning...

Comments

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Great picture but as a whole it reads as very costumey and neither African or disco per se. She should be popping out of a solid color background rather than blue sky maybe? And the font, because of the flames maybe reads a little bit "american chopper"? Try a leaner font could work maybe? 2 cents

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    i'm feeling her elbows

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i think you could definitely loose the lightning. the type could be stronger too, and overall the connection between clouds and fire seems a little off. but i do this for a living, so maybe i'm just being hyper-critical.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Honestly?

It's horrible.

Sorry

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Looks like a 90's Euro-Trance comp.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Great picture but as a whole it reads as very costumey and neither African or disco per se. She should be popping out of a solid color background rather than blue sky maybe? And the font, because of the flames maybe reads a little bit "american chopper"? Try a leaner font could work maybe? 2 cents

I had tried various different costumes on the (Nigerian) model and all others were much more "disco"... I ended up chosing this dress because it fir her best and I also loved the contrast against the sky (shot on a roof deck).
    The boots belonged to a professional jockey and part time dancer. When you look at Nigerian Disco and Funk records, most musicians had serious love for platform boots.

I've tried many other fonts before, most of them leaner but prefer these so far because they are bold but also dynamic and not clumsy...

I'll continue trying out some more fonts.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Well since everyone is being a little more frank, no pun, about this I should say... it's real Euro/raver aesthetically. Real, real mid 90's. If that's what you're going for do it but I think you need to change your whole concept.
    Lose the sky, lose the record she's standing on and the text. Maybe even the girl? I don't know, she's a cutie pie but she's expressionless. At least with an authentic photo like this from the era there is some intensity in the facial expression but she's not really bringing any power to the image, she looks a little dead.
    I know your tracks are gonna be killer so you can't let a cover bring you down.
    Needs to have flavor like the music undoubtedly will have.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    She needs to be in the throes of musical ecstasy.

• I would be more drawn in by a vintage pic of one of the groups.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I don't really know about your budget or his prices, but if possible, I'd hollar at mike2600 asap.

It's not THAT bad, but knowing the kind of stuff I've heard from you in the past, it doesn't seem like the design is meeting the same standard of excellence as the music will be.

Looking forward to hearing this regardless Frank..

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    loose the lightning

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Thanx for the input...
    I wasn't too sure about the whole thing myself after having worked on this for a while. Maybe the positive feedback I got from people I showed this to was just them being friendly...
    Perhaps you guys are right and I should considder ditching the picture.

• I would be more drawn in by a vintage pic of one of the groups.
    yeah me too, this cover is one of the best for the type of comp i think this will be

that said, it'll make little difference to me, i'll judge the quality of a compilation 90% on music quality and 10% on a front cover design.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Frank, I would consider using one of your "Storefront" signs you had made that you hung up at your nights, or perhaps making the cover in the style of those signs...would add a dose of authenticity, would be colorful and eye-catching...I have to agree that the current cover is way to 90s and doesnt visually describe the music contained within..

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    i think you could definitely loose the lightning.

... and the flames, and all the other stuff that is kind of just an artiface. The model looks stiff and due to the angle of the shot her fist, a sign of strength and power, looks small and effete. Also, the entire left quarter of the photo is kind of a weird no-mans-land. Just shifting everything over a little bit might be a start. But really she should be photographed at a disco, dancing to your records.

Someone already brought it up, but I'm sure you've found, or have access to, 1000s of dusty vintage photos from back in the day. Its sort of cliche at this point but I still think putting those for covers still does the trick.

I also personally like less words. Maybe that subtitle can go on a sticker over the LP shrink, or on the back?

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    hi frank, you should use a beautiful color for your background, there are so many wonderful shades of green and ochre that come direct from the center labels of african records for example.
    the girl is very go-go, ye-ye-ye in a 90's dee-lite way and i know you're not going for that.
    you are an authority on these finds, i would just tap into the simplicity and beauty of the records that you know so well and let that inspire you instead.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Being a little more constructive.. If you don't have the budget to spend on paying a professional designer to do this, and want a more contemporary professional looking job, maybe get in touch with your nearest art college. I'm sure if you explained the project to some graphics students they may well be willing to do a cover for you for the prestige alone (if you sell it right).

Good luck with it Frank.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    in a 90's dee-lite way

i would just tap into the simplicity and beauty of the records that you know so well and let that inspire you instead.

yep. for really awesome compilation cover art that doesn't come across as "cheesy", see that Si Para Usted Vol. 2 thread. Keep everything relevant, not just the model's shoes. Really looking forward to the comp-knock the whole project out of the park.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    wasnt it you who posted african handpainted posters for american movies of the day? grab a few of those, remove the text. grab some old newspapers and cut letters instead of writing computer style.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    She's the black Miss Lady Kier!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Points well taken but I have to say when reading these words:
    "contemporary professional looking job" "art college" "graphics students"
    I'd much rather go for the "90s euro-raver style"...

This failed design was probably due to the fact that since ever I bought a bunch of Funk comps when first getting into the genre sometime in the mid-90s I've not purchased any comps (or other current releases) and am properly disconnected from any contemporary designs... a fact that I don't regret at all.

I like the idea of sampling OG designs from various old covers and trying to come up with something nice.

I have thought about using my African store sign paintings but those are all made after Highlife and Afrobeat records from the early/mid 70s. The late 70s/early 80s Nigerian Disco stuff has a totally different style. Actually pretty much every record looks different and the printing quality and design all in all wouldn't translate into anything that would look nice if re-done, especially not on CD-size... but still, there are some cool designs and some nice photographs that I should be able to re-arrange into something.

Thanx again for all of your input!

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    I don't know about you but the picture is very distracting? I mean, the opening to the bottom of her dress is direct center of the frame.

Also, I think if you're going to put a record in there, at least show the label, or part of it. From a quick glance it almost looks like she's standing on some sort of rubber tire.

Copy-wise, I would make it more concise by omitting "12 Blistering Tracks From" and just use "The Golden Age of ...." ..Get rid of the excess. People want more copy in the liner notes, not on the cover (in my opinion).

I agree, you need to lose the sky. Contrasting flames with blue sky and clouds is NAGL.

Oh, and why is the model holding her hand up like that? Black Power?

Lastly, think about using two typefaces here, not one. Make sure they contrast but still compliment each other.

-Rog

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    What if you had a handful of Strutters each make a design? Then you could pick the best elements/ideas from each. I'm sure people would be down to help out.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    Post deleted by AKallDay

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    looks like a comp.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

Oh, and why is the model holding her hand up like that? Black Power?

I could easily point out a few dozen African records with band photographs where people hold up their fist. Probably the most popular pose althrough the 70s.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Points well taken but I have to say when reading these words:
    "contemporary professional looking job" "art college" "graphics students"
    I'd much rather go for the "90s euro-raver style"...

Go for it then. Just don't expect people who'll see it in a shop to pick it up and buy it.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Didn't you post a bunch of custom paintings that you had done up a while back? I'd pick the best one out of the bunch a use that, or get the same artist to do something similar in feel/aesthetic.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Just use that picture of you chillin' with your portable and your rifle in your backyard. I'd buy a comp that looked like that in a heartbeat!

Looking forward to hearing the music - regardless of packaging.

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Just use that picture of you chillin' with your portable and your rifle in your backyard. I'd buy a comp that looked like that in a heartbeat!

I second that. That is such a f*cking great photo.