Thriller on ebay

13»

Comments

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Thriller did not sell 40 million vinyl records.

Cassettes were about even with vinyl when Thriller came out and by '85 were outselling vinyl.
    (OK, I just made that up, some one else can google it.)

Thriller came out in '82. According to your chart, vinyl accounted for 70% of sales that year.

Just speaking from personal experience, I would've assumed that the vast majority of copies sold were on vinyl.

Doesn't the graph show them even by '83?
    Then vinyl taking a sharp downturn and cassettes dominating the market?

Billie Jean was the first single off of Thriller. It hit #1 in 1983.
    The lp hit the charts Christmas of '82 and stayed in the top 40 more than 2 years well into 84'.

I'm not sure what your experience is, but mine would tell me the majority are cassette.

Im MJ's case, at that time, folks wanted the bigger LP image, despite the cassette's space saver.
    The gatefold itself is part of the story.

But numbers dont lie. If cassettes were the thing at the time...well.

I guess the question is when did Thriller sell the most? In the first year or the second?
    And what are the vinyl:cassette ratios during each year?

Didnt the vinyl come with a poster too? I was only 5 at the time, but Im pretty sure my sisters copped the LP with a poster.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I'm not sure what your experience is, but mine would tell me the majority are cassette.

I work at the only store in a decent-size city that buys and sells cassettes.

I've been there nearly 10 years, and I don't recall EVER seeing a Thriller tape.

• I don't recall seeing Thriller tapes back in the day..everyone had the vinyl.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I just listed a copy.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Didnt the vinyl come with a poster too? I was only 5 at the time, but Im pretty sure my sisters copped the LP with a poster.

I don't think it ever had a poster, maybe your sister bought it separately?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Okay, this post got me thinking. yeah Thriller sold a shitload of vinyls, but being that it was so popular and lots of non colletcors teeny bops had copys b.i.t.d, which where most liekly not taken care off that well....

How many 'mint' versions you reckon are out there? Sealed ones?

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Yer, thriller was a gatefold, you're going to choose that over the cassette.

SEALED! Thriller - Michael Jackon - ORIGINAL GATEFOLD!!!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

more than enough. i got my copy from my mom's collection and it's mint as F*ck.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Okay, this post got me thinking. yeah Thriller sold a shitload of vinyls, but being that it was so popular and lots of non colletcors teeny bops had copys b.i.t.d, which where most liekly not taken care off that well....

Assume half were vinyls, so we'll say 20 million.

Even if it's 1/10 of one percent you're still talking about 20,000 mint copies.

Just an example/guess.

But I bet there are plenty that were just sitting. When an album is super popular like that you get people who just buy the shit just because everyone else is. Play it a few times and then it collects dust next to the Def Leppard albums.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I just listed a copy.

Good luck..you may be a little to late 6/26- 6/27 was when people were payign crazy prices now even more people have listed items esp....the rush may be over.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I just listed a copy.

Good luck..you may be a little to late 6/26- 6/27 was when people were payign crazy prices now even more people have listed items esp....the rush may be over.

Who were those idiots paying that much scratch for that popular of an album? (Jealous I didn't sell my then rant).

This lady in an charity store was looking for a MJ album like she was searchin for crack on a carpet floor. So sad. All she wanted was the cover.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I work at the only store in a decent-size city that buys and sells cassettes.

I've been there nearly 10 years, and I don't recall EVER seeing a Thriller tape.

Can't argue with that.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    My buddy in NYC has what must be the most unique copy of Thriller out there, with a smell that causes anyone that sniffs it to display the strongest gas face ever witnessed. Delay and Sklute can attest.