rep your MJ RIP local experience

2»

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    We stopped recording when we heard and as I drove back through south central it was truly undescribable. People blasting thriller on 52nd and broadway. People crying. I teared up after I dropped double k off and I was listening to the coronor confirmation.

Thriller, the olympics in la, it was like our last stand before thngs went to shit. So so sad.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

half an hour ago

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Copenhagen town square thousands of people joined sponetaneously for a MJ tribute concert friday evening

RIP

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    NOLA is having a second line Sunday afternoon in honor of the king. How we do. Will report back.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Has anyone been to Hollywood BLVD yet? I imagine there must be an army of MJ impersonators. That would be a sight.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    i taught a yoga class this morning and used ayres MJ mix instead of the usual wyndham hill shit thats sitting around the studio. everyone loved it.

also on wednesday i will be down in philly and there is going to be an all day tribute to him at the TSOP headquarters and at Philly Intl records on broad street, celebrating him which i will be attending for a bit.
    i think i will also wear some different things in tribute to him. maybe a fringed suede vest in honor of his childhood style regime on stage.
    going to reminisce over him tonight with some friends over dinner... peace.

• Went down to 2300 Jackson partied with my people. The Mayor is asking Joe to bring Mike back home and let him lay in state. Probably won't happen. Mayor trying to make money the city's broke trying to raise money.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Walked into the barbershop and sure enough, the radio was playing "I Want You Back" while everyone was sitting around telling MJ stories. One guy even came up with a weird conspiracy theory about the 25th of the month - James Brown died on Dec. 25, Michael Jackson died on June 25, plus a few more twenty-fifths that escape me now.

Gene "Daddy G" Barge (saxophonist and producer at Chess Records, among other credits) goes to the same barbershop as me, and he was telling me all about the times he and Michael crossed paths, from the first time he saw him at a soul revue on Chicago's South Side (pre-Motown), to the last couple of times when they performed at Jesse Jackson's Operation PUSH concerts***. According to Gene, the first time they appeared (maybe '71), they couldn't get anything done for all the starseekers that got in the way, so they secretly holed up at Chess studios so they could get some rehearsal time in. Same story the next year, except they went to Paul Serrano's P.S. Studios this time.
    ***captured on the soundtrack to the documentary [i]Save The Children, on Motown. Along with Side Two of the soundtrack to the Going Back To Indiana TV special, these are the only recorded documents of the J-5 live.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Just went to the grocery store. As I'm walking into the door. Some random older lady comes up to me and gives me a BIG BIG hug. Out of nowhere tears down her face. Saying, "I just miss him so much. I miss Michael."

WOAH.. that was a first. Probably my hair?

- spidey

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Yeah..the Smooth Criminal era animated GIF was a nice surprise!

That gif is awesome. I'd forgotten all about that game.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I remember trying to stay up SUPER late (sumthin like 1 in the AM) when I was 7 to watch the J5 play "Shake Your Body (down to the ground)" on, I think it was FRIDAYS(might be wrong about that), I made it thankfully...I thought I was up so late I would see the sunrise...I am sure I asleep about 10 seconds after their performance

sorry, i misunderstood the thread