rep your MJ RIP local experience

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
im in the hood and it sounds like new years right now. a lot of sirens and 'fireworks'. shits going the fuk off. my neighbor is on her porch sobbing like a baby. i talked to her and she told he was her 'imaginary' big brother and she always felt his pain.i just left plan 9 record store and they have no mj in any form. it's a big store. and they always have racks of at least otw thrill or bad + j5 hits. i saw some people about to fight over a an mj 45 of dstyge.insanity.im still stunned.local grown and sexy r&b station is having call ins people are hysterical. i had to pull over. gots me shook as fuk.sorry 4 typos im shaking

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    A friend of mine told me that dudes are selling RIP MJ shirts in Downtown B'klyn. Can any Brooklynites confirm this?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The radio station in ym work is playing an MJ tribute in an hour or two.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'm at work, CNN been on since the news broke. My boss isn't really in tune to this kind of stuff so I had to tell her how important he was and how big of a tragedy this is. It also got me thinking about how different shit is now and I don't think there's no way we'll ever have someone as talented and as world-known as him.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im in the cut. people are asking why im not playing mj so i threw on got to be there lp. i got pico dancing!

r.i.p.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i was always praying dude would pull it together.

God bless him

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Best Buy is sold out except for those iTunes cards. I found Dangerous and Off The Wall hidden in the racks.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Visit msnbc.com for #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">Breaking News, #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">World News, and #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">News about the Economy

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    not much, but i am surrounded by teenagers who are too young to really understand. i keep looking at the cover of "off the wall" i have stapled to the wall here.....

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Hot 97 inexplicably NOT playing MJ right now. After 10 mins of DJ Clue on Power 105 doing it right, I switched back to see if they got their mind right. Caught Flex talking about how he lives for this day, because its the car show, then cut to commercial. WTF????

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'm supposed to go out tonight in an hour...we'll see if anyone is playing MJ in Rio tonight. In all reality here beating South Africa is probably a bigger deal.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    i was always praying dude would pull it together.

God bless him

What makes me most sad is that he never got that chance. This London comeback thing- seriously, 750,000 tix? FACEMELT- felt like it might really work for him.

Elvis got his fat Vegas jumpsuit days... I just sad MJ never got the chance to get IT back.

Got-damn.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    shit's crazy.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    anybody in dallas, put it on k-soul.

• shit's crazy.

IS THAT YOU?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    there was a lady sitting out in front of the shop crying. she said thanks to me.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    IS THAT YOU?

Hell no.

• IS THAT YOU?

Hell no.

Had to ask.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Where I was when I found out:

I was standing in a bookstore when I get a call on the cell phone. My friend David tells me that the grim reaper paid a visit to Farrah Fawcett, Sky Saxon, and MAYBE Michael Jackson. I ask my friends in the bookstore if they'd heard this, and they respond in the positive.

At this point, MJ's death is still a rumor.

Then I walk out on the street and see three women leaning against a post. The FIRST thing I overhear is "he's dead," meaning MJ. Then I get on the train, and about five unrelated people are blowing up their phones, talking about the King of Pop himself.

As God is my witness, I didn't hear this much street talk when Obama was elected president, and he used to live here!

Later, I'm killing time before the ? & the Mysterians show. I'm in a used record store, and they still have a full Jacksons section, with Michael, Jermaine, maybe Janet, everybody. By this time, MJ's death has been announced. If I were to come back to that same store tomorrow, I wonder if the Jacksons section will be totally cleaned out...

Well, that was quick.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I was in Chic-Fil-A at lunch and the girls seated near me had JUST received a Michael Jackson R.I.P. text.

Right before I headed to lunch, I saw the CNN story about him being rushed to the hospital so I knew it COULD be true but I REALLY did not want to believe it. (I never really trip over those "celebrity-rushed-to-hospital" stories because they occur too often for minor reasons.)

Anyways, I was mad because Chic-Fil-A's wifi was taking forever and sites like TMZ were blocked. My phone was blowing up but I refused to believe 'til CNN said so. (I heard a radio DJ telling his listeners the same thing.) I even told my Mom to ONLY check CNN.

P.S. Whoever put the dancing MJ gif on the left there...THANK YOU.

• Yeah..the Smooth Criminal era animated GIF was a nice surprise!

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    isn't that from that MJ video game from back in the day? I used to play that on Sega Genesis when I was a kid in the early-mid-90s!

Right now I'm listening to a local talk show host reminisce about the first time he heard Michael Jackson. He was working as a DJ in Gary, Indiana around the same time the Jackson Five were starting out, and was reminiscing about how "Big Boy" was a local hit.

And then he PLAYED "Big Boy."

And it was that cheesy version from that reissue CD where they overdubbed synthesized drums and canned strings.

The talk show host, who played this same song as a deejay in Gary back then, didn't appear to notice this new addition.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    The news folks were a my spot, asking if we sold a grip of them.I was not there(was watching the new Transformers flick), but was informed by a fellow co-worker that it was an utter madhouse. I just got a white label 12 of "rock with you" last week. Pretty bummed about this. R.I.P. MJ

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    isn't that from that MJ video game from back in the day? I used to play that on Sega Genesis when I was a kid in the early-mid-90s!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't really understand the sudden rush on buying his releases.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    "I truly loved Michael and his music. Oh, wait.... I don't have any of it. Better rush to the store and buy some"

b/w

"Stuff is bound to be indemand. I could make some money out of this man's death"

• my collection has always had at least three copies of Thriller and two Off The Wall.

holler

• "Stuff is bound to be indemand. I could make some money out of this man's death"
    erm....even if its in demand the supply is still HUGE; he sold 250 million [/b] records in his lifetime!! i've said it before and i'll say it again: ebay sure is crazy!!