Canadian disco price cherk

TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
couldn't find anything on this. any info is appreciated

Comments

• 7 dollars

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    word. thanks man

• no prob, i picked this up a few weeks ago and promptly forgot about it. it has a few moments like "soul machine" and "follow me into the car"

yeah it's got a few moments. i was just hoping i could flip it for a couple bucks

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    like the cover art. I'll give you $8

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    $8.50

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    7 dollars

???

Maybe that's how much you paid for your copy but in the right listing with sound clips it's certainly more than that... last copy I saw on the bay went for just under $30...

• 7 dollars

???

Maybe that's how much you paid for your copy but in the right listing with sound clips it's certainly more than that... last copy I saw on the bay went for just under $30...

dude, it's a $5-$10 record.

like the cover art. I'll give you $8

deal.

• dude, it's a $5-$10 record.

Maybe I got lucky, but I sold 2 copies for $50 apiece.

• several copies were available as a "buy it now" for between 5-15 dollars on ebay a month ago. i have seen it in shops in vancouver for 10 bucks (beat street has a copy).

anyone who would pay 30, let alone 50 for this needs to have their head checked.

• A record is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, don't get it twisted.

• for some folks, money is no object so spending it extravagantly on terdly records isn;t such a big deal. but just because some clueless baller decided they were worth that much to him that doesn;t mean that is the real-world, market value. for that that matter, freak ebay auctions and popsike listings don;t count either when it comes to those with finite budgets and those who are somewhat conspicuous with their money.

good for you that you flipped those for that much, get that money. i hope that mack can get that much but i have been trying to get rid of it for over a month and have decided simply to donate mine to the soulstrut community...

for some folks, money is no object so spending it extravagantly on terdly records isn;t such a big deal. but just because some clueless baller decided they were worth that much to him that doesn;t mean that is the real-world, market value. for that that matter, freak ebay auctions and popsike listings don;t count either when it comes to those with finite budgets and those who are somewhat conspicuous with their money.

good for you that you flipped those for that much, get that money. i hope that mack can get that much but i have been trying to get rid of it for over a month and have decided simply to donate mine to the soulstrut community...

several copies were available as a "buy it now" for between 5-15 dollars on ebay a month ago.

several??! hmm... vg+ copy went for $8... funny it got snagged so quickly....

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ECSTASY-Soul-Explosion-R-B-vinyl-LP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ360132572407

I've seen clean copies hit $25+ multiple times, dude...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    for some folks, money is no object so spending it extravagantly on terdly records isn;t such a big deal. but just because some clueless baller decided they were worth that much to him that doesn;t mean that is the real-world, market value. for that that matter, freak ebay auctions and popsike listings don;t count either when it comes to those with finite budgets and those who are somewhat conspicuous with their money.

I haven't used this graemlin in a long time.

Nothing says "little dude" like basing record values on outliers. And that's coming from someone who used to use that same method of optimistic pricing.

BTW, no joke, I recently sold Isaac Hayes "Movement" for $15 to a local dude. So, that album is now a $15 record, FYI.

i mean, record value can never really be gauged. there are records that sold for $20 5 years ago that sell for $100 now and vice versa. the value of a record can only truely be gauged by how much it sells for over a long period of time IMO.

BTW, no joke, I recently sold Isaac Hayes "Movement" for $15 to a local dude. So, that album is now a $15 record, FYI.

I dont see anything wrong with that if it was clean. Clean copies of that record can be troublesome to find

There's nothing wrong with it, but it would be optimistic to expect to get that price every time.

• There is no such thing as a static record value. I only commented on the fact I sold that record on the high end because this guy's statements on the subject were so outlandish. To a disco collector, this LP has value.

And for the record, this is not something that pops up everyday.

well i'll sell it to you for $40. grip and flip opportunity, bro

• here is a not very interesting but instructive anecdote: a few months back i took a pile of ok records to a local dealer for trade and he is a nice fellow but just doesn;t know a whole tonne about certain types of music. i ended up trading him bob james 2 and one or two other things of that ilk for can "monster movies". all i had to say was "mardi gras break" and "rock the bells" and he convinced himself he had a peice of gold in his midst.

as i am a capitalist pig, i didn;t disabuse him of his misconception about the "TRUE VALUE" of bob james "two" when he made the offer and as far as he is concerned it was a good trade. i went to his store recently and he has it up for sale for something in excess of 45 dollars festooned with stickers heralding "THE MARDI GRAS BREAK!!!"

now, some would place the value of bob james "two" at about 2 bucks, others more like 10-20 but what person who knows a damn thing about records would price it at over 40 dollars? just because places like bleaker bob's can get away with that and people like that local dealer can delude themselves into thinking it's worth that much doesn't reflect the current state of the market. those are anomalies.

again, good for you for being able to sell them for that much.

lots of records don;t necessarily pop up everyday although i have seen that record available multiple times in the real world and ebay in very recent times enough to tell me that its is not all that rare or desirable. it's merely an ok salsoulishy disco record with a few amusing moments that could be exploited by the right producer/dj.

if you have an ability to flip these for upwards of 20 bucks then i'll start hoarding them and we can go into business but i think we both know that this record is simply not worth that much in the current marketplace. i stand by my initial evaluation.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What would be really funny is if you ended up with the reissue of that Can record.

• Your comparison of Bob James 2 to this Soul Explosion LP doesn't work. One is a very common LP and the other is a pretty obscure title with no definitive price on the marketplace. That's the thing you don't get here; there are titles that simply can't be tagged with a $5-10 price when there isn't enough of a selling history and/or supply/demand to warrant such a restrictive price range. Just because you see an LP for cheap locally means nothing. I see tons of certain LPs on the cheap daily, but it doesn't mean that globally they don't bring more.

MACK GET THAT SCRILLA. PAYPAL ON THA WAY SON.

now, some would place the value of bob james "two" at about 2 bucks, others more like 10-20 but what person who knows a damn thing about records would price it at over 40 dollars? just because places like bleaker bob's can get away with that and people like that local dealer can delude themselves into thinking it's worth that much doesn't reflect the current state of the market. those are anomalies.

Of course THAT wouldn't reflect the state of the market because NO ONE would buy it for $40 let alone half of that... it's irrelevant though as the record in question HAS SOLD for $25+ many times over the past few years... those BJ 2's will remain UNSOLD at those prices...

To take your cue, let me provide a very uninteresting but instructive scenario; Certain CTL (Canadian Talent Library) titles of the easy listening variety are in demand mainly in the Japanese market but in Canada go unsold at fractions of their ebay going rate unless bought for grip'n'flip purposes (or by visiting Japanese)... a local shop has a certain title which I've sold many times over for $30+ at a reasonable price of $20 but has remained unsold for at least 3 years... the owner likely based the price on a ebay auction/popsike value and although it hasn't sold does that mean it's not worth $20 to someone in the global market?? I could go on with examples such as this...

btw... Beatstreet having it for $10 doesn't hold much weight either, they had a Bobby Hales on their website a few months back at the same price so I guess that must be it's 'real world value', right???

I'm loving this thread

• LOL, guy alcindor puts his money where his mouth is...awesome

3rd man, i will sell you copies of this terd for $25 and you can flip them for $40-50 just like the mack did a moment ago, ok?

3rd man, i will sell you copies of this terd for $25 and you can flip them for $40-50 just like the mack did a moment ago, ok?

Since you so clearly illustrated its value in your original post, how about you sell them to me for $7 apiece?

Also please post a pic of the multiple copies of this common worthless terd, before sending them to me, in this thread.

Kthxbye

• 3rd man, i will sell you copies of this terd for $25 and you can flip them for $40-50 just like the mack did a moment ago, ok?

Since you so clearly illustrated its value in your original post, how about you sell them to me for $7 apiece?

Also please post a pic of the multiple copies of this common worthless terd, before sending them to me, in this thread.

Kthxbye