• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    What was with that damn apostrophe?

it replaces an "e"?

Right! But why should it?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

it replaces an "e"?

Cause Black folks dont be pronouncin' tha E in different!

it replaces an "e"?

Cause Black folks dont be pronouncin' tha E in different!

Obviously, I figured that out a long time ago. I was just riffing on the fact that it just sounds phony, like some white corporate decision to be Down With Da Hood or something. I remember reading some article on Conrad Bain during the show's run where he openly wished they'd shitcan the apostrophe and spell "different" the right way.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    ROC was a GREAT show. Remember Jamie Foxx on there playing the special needs dude next door? Too funny.

I recall really wanting to like Frank's Place... so critically acclaimed, a "shining example" of what black televison could be. But I just found that schitt to be incredibly boring whenever I watched it. Maybe I was just too young or too b-boy to get it, I dunno. I should look it up online, might be good to see it all these years later.

MARTIN was a lot greater than I think most people realize... he kinda brought that physical, slapstick comedy back to tv. It's a real shame that some people looked at what he was doing as buffoonery- I totally disagree with that notion. He was on some comic genius schitt IMO.

Right along with DL Hugley, Robert Lawrence and Damon Wayans being doo-doo, remember that short-lived sitcom that my boy Tracy Morgan had a few years ago? PAINFUL. Bernie Mac's show wasn't much better- I love the real Bernie Mac but not that neutered, sterilized imitation that they put on network television.

Speaking of painful, what about the Magic Johnson show?

That's My Mama ftw! Junior was the MAN

Living Single was dope (sorry BATMON... i'm old, I still use that word)

Does The Boondocks still come on? That was must-see tv for me for a minute, until i guess i got tired of too much unnecessary n-word usage

I liked the Cedric The Entertainer show too! It wasn't on long enough to really get into it's groove though IMO.

Not a black tv show, but my dude is Leon on Curb Your Enthusiasm. I brings the ruckus to the ladies!

I liked the Cedric The Entertainer show too! It wasn't on long enough to really get into it's groove though IMO.

Crazy Slept On

remember that short-lived sitcom that my boy Tracy Morgan had a few years ago? PAINFUL.

More details, pleez! Don't remember it...

Bernie Mac's show wasn't much better- I love the real Bernie Mac but not that neutered, sterilized imitation that they put on network television.

Bernie Mac was a funny man, but I never could get it with this show. Nothing about it that I liked.

Tyler Perry's House Of Payne is just as terrible.

remember that short-lived sitcom that my boy Tracy Morgan had a few years ago? PAINFUL.

More details, pleez! Don't remember it...

Tracy Morgan w/ the wife and house Cosby sterilization motif. Terrible.

Honorable mention:
    - The White Shadow
    - Fame

Neither of these shows were black programs per se (NO DERAIL), but had enough blacks in the cast that I tend to think of them that way. White Shadow was good all the way through, even at the end when they brought in all those new characters. Fame was really in the groove when it was still on NBC (1982-83), but then they went syndicated, dropped a few characters, added a few more, and generally lost it's appeal.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Tyler Perry's House Of Payne is just as terrible.

and what's that other one, Meet The Browns? never seen the show but man, the commercials alone have me scared to death.

You just knew Pryor lost his edge when he did this show.

I mean, it was a Saturday morning kids series, so "edge" wasn't the point, but still...I remember seeing one episode of this and shaking my head.[/b]

Fox had quite a few Af-Am shows in their stable back then. What was the show about the black widowed father of two who marries a white widowed mother of one? And they throw in Nancy Walker as the bigoted mother of the bride? (There was an episode where the youngest son gets all Afrocentric and wears one of those Malcolm X baseball caps that were the thing back then...Walker asks him, "why are you wearing a number-10 on your cap?")

Nancy Walker is hilarious. I just copped the first season of Rhoda where she plays a classic Jewish mom. She steals the show.

NO HIJACK.

I dont recall that show.
    The show is called True Colors. Wasn't it on the air for like 1-2 seasons?

Right, it was. And the husband was played by two different actors (Frankie Faison was replaced by Cleavon Little).

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I actually like IN THE HOUSE w. LL Cool J and Alphonso Ribera reprising his role as Carlton.

The actor in your avatar (Reggie Hayes) was practically an adult Carlton on Girlfriends. To the show's credit, he was played with sensitivity for the most part. Any other show would have cast him as a bourgie punchline.

No doubt. Dude was written w/ some balance amongst the Designing Woman motif.

At it's peak, Girlfriends was a pretty good show. I still prefer 'Living Single'.
    I remember when Friends came out, it seemed like a white 'Living Single'.

No 'Steve Harvey Show' fans in here? Super corny, but I would watch for this young lady:

No 'Steve Harvey Show' fans in here? Super corny, but I would watch for this young lady:

The Steve Harvey Show was godawful, but the lady shown above WAS easy to look at, even if her character was annoying.

(And what kind of name is "the Hi-Tops" for a 1970's funk band? Sounds more like a power-pop group!)

When I worked at Children's Hospital in DC, Disney Channel was in full effect, and I got hooked on The Proud Family

Even though it was for kids, it was damn funny, with people like Cedric, Tommy Davison, Cree Summer, Paula Jai Parker, and Aries Spears. Disney, of course, has yet to release the series on DVD.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Random memories...

Fat Albert and then Scatman Crothers as Hong Kong Phooey.

Rosie Grier on Sha Na Na.

The basketball players and school administrators from The White Shadow.

Michael Warren on Hill Street Blues.

Is it Between Brothers I'm thinking of...with Tommy Davidson? I vaguely remember that being decent.

Of course Sanford and Son, the Jeffersons, Good Times, and What's Happening were the classics.

No need to even mention the Cosby's. I will mention that for kids Little Bill is a winner.

I've watched more than a few episodes of Living Single, I must admit.

And both Jamie Foxx's (loooved the main lady friend) and Bernie Mac's shows were good.

'Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeifer': worst idea ever or courageous media experiment?

Never saw it, just remember that a co-worker of mine at the time who really tracked a lot of Black media was beside herself with indignation over this show. She also hated 'the PJ's' with a passion, which I was kind of on the fence about, but the premise of this Chi McBride vehicle just seemed too bizarre for TV.

Anyone here ever see this?

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    A Different World was my shit. That show was good even after it jumped the shark. So many classic eps. Remember the LA Riots episodes? Dwayne proposing? Tupac episode? One of my favorite shows.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts

'Secret Diary of Desmond Pfeifer': worst idea ever or courageous media experiment?

Never saw it, just remember that a co-worker of mine at the time who really tracked a lot of Black media was beside herself with indignation over this show. She also hated 'the PJ's' with a passion, which I was kind of on the fence about, but the premise of this Chi McBride vehicle just seemed too bizarre for TV.

Anyone here ever see this?

I thought it was like a bad SNL skit that went on for a half hour.

A Different World was my shit. That show was good even after it jumped the shark. So many classic eps. Remember the LA Riots episodes? Dwayne proposing? Tupac episode? One of my favorite shows.

A Different World was really good tv. Black College on tv was a first.
    Funny, how it got better once Lisa Bonet left.

Is it Between Brothers I'm thinking of...with Tommy Davidson? I vaguely remember that being decent.

I peeped a couple of episodes. It was kinda tame, but i'd like to watch now.

That Patti Labelle show w/ Duane what's his name,Vivica Fox and them was alright. The musical guest stars were a big draw.

Living Single was incredible.

Living Single was incredible.

Still funny.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That Patti Labelle show w/ Duane what's his name,Vivica Fox and them was alright. The musical guest stars were a big draw.

Out All Night

I was just gonna say how come noone mentioned this one. but then I got to page 2. I loved that show

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Benson and Seinfeld were hot too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I ride for the Steve Harvey show...some funny shit happened in that show.

Benson and Seinfeld[/b] were hot too.

????

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

????

haha. I dont think there ever was a single black actor in sienfeld.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

????

wrong, there was one!
    the attorney Jackie Chiles

????

wrong...the attorney Jackie Childs

That's one more than Cheers.