Black T.V. Thread

Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Im just gonna babble bout some classic and not so classic African American TV.I got some questions,opinions,critiques....blah blah blah.I dont recall Frank's Place, w/ Tim Reid of WKRP and alumni of The Richard Pryor Show. Anyyone remember that shit? Its been said it was potentially the best Black show on tv at the time.There was a show that came on maybe in the late 90's w/ 4 Brothers ala Friends who hung out at a cafe w/ the usual sit-com antics. Anyone?I could never get w/ 227. Jackee was funny but I could never wrap my head around Florence outside of the Jeffersons. Regina King was goofy lookin too.DVD Geek request - Homeboys In Outer Space.Cosby fusked up w/ that COSBY remix, w/ Medeline Khan who was funny when I peeped it. Dougie-Doug, Phylisha Rashad (back in the mix), and a very funny T'Keyah Crystal Keym??h of Living Color fame. Never could get into it.Never really watched Sanford the solo tv show.Hall Of Fame - What's Happening.Remember South Central? The tv attempt to cash in on Lorenz Tate/West Coast/and Gangsta Rap? Jennifer Lopez - post Living Color - played the grocery store checkout chick w/ the attitude.

Comments

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Was Different Strokes black enough?

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Was Different Strokes Black enough?

Ill let it ride only for Janet Jackson's Charlene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    How do you feel about Roc?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    there was something called double trouble or some such that had like 2 twin chicks in it. i vaguely remember something like that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    there was something called double trouble or some such that had like 2 twin chicks in it. i vaguely remember something like that.

Are you referring to that show where Tim Reid and Jackee were the divorced parents of two twin girls?

Are you referring to that show where Tim Reid and Jackee were the divorced parents of two twin girls?

early 90s if i recall.

and then one of them grew up to be on this...

The Game which was a Girlfriends spin-off. The twin was Tracie Ross's Cousin.

Roc was cool. The live feel gave it an extra dimension.
    I wasnt a diehard watcher though.

What about AMEN?

The old man was also on That's My Mama as one of the "old men" who hung out in the barbershop, w/ Clifton Davis.

Anne Marie Johnson has been in everything.

I dont recall Frank's Place, w/ Tim Reid of WKRP and alumni of The Richard Pryor Show. Anyyone remember that shit? Its been said it was potentially the best Black show on tv at the time.

I was a huge fan of the show when it ran. It was only on for a season, and CBS kept moving it around in the schedule, so it was easy to miss if you weren't checking for it. I haven't seen it in 21 years, but I'm sure I'd still be feeling it today. Is it on DVD?

Cosby fusked up w/ that COSBY remix, w/ Medeline Khan who was funny when I peeped it. Dougie-Doug, Phylisha Rashad (back in the mix), and a very funny T'Keyah Crystal Keym??h of Living Color fame. Never could get into it.

I seem to vaguely remember that Doug E. Doug had a show for a minute...titled something like Where I Live or How I'm Living or something like that. I think it was a summer replacement show. The one episode I remember had him briefly hooking up with some alternative-type sista (ala Freddie from "A Different World") before they both realized that it wouldn't work out.

Never really watched Sanford the solo tv show.

You're not missing much. They managed to bring back Rollo from the old show (and maybe a few others?), but the spirit was gone.

Remember South Central? The tv attempt to cash in on Lorenz Tate/West Coast/and Gangsta Rap? Jennifer Lopez - post Living Color - played the grocery store checkout chick w/ the attitude.

Fox had quite a few Af-Am shows in their stable back then. What was the show about the black widowed father of two who marries a white widowed mother of one? And they throw in Nancy Walker as the bigoted mother of the bride? (There was an episode where the youngest son gets all Afrocentric and wears one of those Malcolm X baseball caps that were the thing back then...Walker asks him, "why are you wearing a number-10 on your cap?")

Fox had quite a few Af-Am shows in their stable back then. What was the show about the black widowed father of two who marries a white widowed mother of one? And they throw in Nancy Walker as the bigoted mother of the bride? (There was an episode where the youngest son gets all Afrocentric and wears one of those Malcolm X baseball caps that were the thing back then...Walker asks him, "why are you wearing a number-10 on your cap?")

Nancy Walker is hilarious. I just copped the first season of Rhoda where she plays a classic Jewish mom. She steals the show.

NO HIJACK.

I dont recall that show.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Game cancelled. My friend Nic is mad.
    ROC was pretty good, but dramedies are allegedly "hard" for the viewer to follow.
    I liked South Central ok but don't remember much about it honestly.
    I'd watch 227 & Amen with my grandma. Memories.
    Frank's Place is discussed in every black pop. culture class I've ever been in as "the" show about black people. I saw one episode, the pacing was real slowwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Diff'rent Strokes is (now) unwatchable gabage.
    I love Martin, I need Martin reruns in my life right nah.

What about AMEN?

I loved that show. The old man (Riley?) was definitely my favorite character.

Someone mentioned the show Double Trouble earlier in this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Trouble_(TV_series)

Apparently, that was Anne Marie Johnson's first tv show.

What about What's Happening Now??

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

FTW

I love Martin, I need Martin reruns in my life right nah.

Martin is top 10 easily, maybe even top 5.

Nancy Walker is hilarious. I just copped the first season of Rhoda where she plays a classic Jewish mom. She steals the show.

NO HIJACK.

I dont recall that show.
    The show is called True Colors. Wasn't it on the air for like 1-2 seasons?

In re: the Non, on Martin. Too bad it started to suck after he got that sexual harassment charge fooling with Tisha Campbell.

DL Hugley,Robert Lawrence,and Damon Wayans were doo-doo.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    what about late night WPIX or WOR tv ads for McDonald's in the '80s?

this isn't a racism revive, but do you remember when they had high production value polished white audience Ray Charles and Mc DLT ads?

then after hours they had the betamax blurred "I got a McJobbee Job" ads. Nowadays multicultural advertising spends are in the tripe digit millions. it's amazing they thought those :30 units were acceptable in the late '80s.

delete post

I was, but I bailed when they added the kid.

Couldn't stand it at first, it had to grow on me. The four main cast members all came from the stage, and you could tell. Their acting was a little too hammy for me, but I got used to it soon enough.

What about AMEN?

The old man was also on That's My Mama as one of the "old men" who hung out in the barbershop, w/ Clifton Davis.

And Roz Ryan (second from right) was actually a Stax recording artist, ca. 1970.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

I was, but I bailed when they added the kid.

Couldn't stand it at first, it had to grow on me. The four main cast members all came from the stage, and you could tell. Their acting was a little too hammy for me, but I got used to it soon enough.
    i used to watch the hell out of roc! the perks! i liked the play/drama aspect of the show. i remember fox used to advertise the fact that it was live television in the second season.

Frank's Place is discussed in every black pop. culture class I've ever been in as "the" show about black people. I saw one episode, the pacing was real slowwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Since it was a drama (not a "dramedy"), the slowness kinda goes with the territory.

Diff'rent Strokes is (now) unwatchable gabage.

Guilty pleasure. Then and now. Todd Bridges and Gary Coleman were the no-actingest actors in the history of history. I'd watch it to laugh at it. Even the title was garbage. What was with that damn apostrophe?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i would start a latin t.v. thread, but it would just be chico and the man, and george lopez.

I actually like IN THE HOUSE w. LL Cool J and Alphonso Ribera reprising his role as Carlton.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    alphonso has had a solid career playing the sidekick/comic relief.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I liked In The House too. Apparently, Maia became a crackhead or a meth head or something.
    Sparks was cool, 1st Terrence Howard thing.

alphonso has had a solid career playing the sidekick/comic relief.

I actually like IN THE HOUSE w. LL Cool J and Alphonso Ribera reprising his role as Carlton.

The actor in your avatar (Reggie Hayes) was practically an adult Carlton on Girlfriends. To the show's credit, he was played with sensitivity for the most part. Any other show would have cast him as a bourgie punchline.

The actor in your avatar (Reggie Hayes) was practically an adult Carlton on Girlfriends. To the show's credit, he was played with sensitivity for the most part. Any other show would have cast him as a bourgie punchline.

No doubt. Dude was written w/ some balance amongst the Designing Woman motif.

• What was with that damn apostrophe?

it replaces an "e"?