Does anybody here NOT curse?

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I'm trying to give it up 'cause it's not sexy to me (well, it CAN be in certain situations, but not in everyday conversation), but I kinda sound like a fool to myself. The substitution words are so tame and even when I edit myself via type (inserting asterisks, spelling it different, etc), everybody knows what I mean so it's like I might as well curse. I found myself using curse words as mere filler which I feel is kinda stupid.I probably won't be able to give it up for good 'cause I DO get angry and those words spill out freely then, I'm just trying to ease up when it's unnecessary.

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    GET A FUCKKING BLOG

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    PREDIKKKTABLE.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    This is a legitimate question. Cursing has permeated my normal, everyday speech and that's a bad thing. My wife hates it. I need to make a conscious effort to stop saying bad words.

On the other hand, I can't stand when people say "freaking" or "frikking." Dude, you're not actually cursing but those words are just terrible substitutes for the f-bomb.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I Seldom curse, and only when I really mean it.

Substitute curse words are like tofu bacon.

Work on being more articulate instead.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    It's a bad habit like biting your nails. Just don't do it.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    more if im drunk, but i generally dont unless im like REALLY trying to get a point across.

or if i like, slam my finger in a door.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The more you use them, the less they mean.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I've noticed rampant use of "heck" in your poasts lately, Hermie. Goin' the Chubb Rock route?

You're goshdarn right, Hoggy boy!

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

Substitute curse words are like tofu bacon.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

On the other hand, I can't stand when people say "freaking" or "frikking." Dude, you're not actually cursing but those words are just terrible substitutes for the f-bomb.

I use these all the time, mostly under my breath though, not out loud

Since my kids were born I make a real effort to not curse in my day to day language, I still do from time to time, but just for emphasis when I really mean it. There are usually better ways to make a point (but not always).

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Fuckkkkkkkkkk that Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit
    Yo, how bout fuggin? Really accentuate the g.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Attempts not to = PANTS, STRIKE & BOOOOOOOO.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    for the most part i keep it clean. unless i really need to make a point.
    peace, stein. . .

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I say "fricken", which came from my parents. I never knew for years that "freaking" and "fricken" were somehow connected, I moved to the mainland and thought "why is everyone saying freaking? What the hell is freaking?" It's a part of me, I still say it from time to time, most likely in traffic.

• mistermayomistermayo Yonder 21 Posts
    As a future elementary school teacher,
    I do my best to avoid curse words (and substitutions) all together.
    Most people just sound ignorant when they curse.
    I do think curse words can be used creatively and can be appropriate,
    but I think for the most part people should...
    Work on being more articulate instead.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I curse all the time, but I also like to use fun substitutes like "MOTHER OF PEARL!" and "BALLS OF ZEUS!!"

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i am trying hard to cut all curse words out of my vocab
    it isnt going to well yet

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    how does this matter in 09?

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    for the most part i keep it clean. unless i really need to make a point.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Only in bed.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Only in bed.

that's moist

• Options
    more if im drunk, but i generally dont unless im like REALLY trying to get a point across.

or if i like, slam my finger in a door.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Only in bed.

that's moist
    Perv

How does anything matter to anybody in any given year?

I just think it's unattractive, unnecessary and pretty much a cop out in everyday conversation and lately I wish I could keep myself from using them 'cause I'm too lazy to find a more appropriate word. Now when emotions are running high (anger, frustration, love, etc), well....that's different. At that point it's sometimes necessary and sometimes uncontrollable. I mean, it's just tradition really. It's on its' way to becoming socially acceptable but it's not even like there have been new words invented to replace the classics (not to my knowledge). And I am well aware that the more common they become, the less impact they will have. Eventually. But still, to me, an F-bomb will always be an F-bomb and I intend to smack the mouth of any child I may have when I catch him saying it.

Keep in mind, I'm not on some Stop The Insanity campaign. I just want some pointers from folks who know where I'm coming from. If you have to ask "how does this matter in 09?" then it's obvious you don't and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

• Options

How does anything matter to anybody in any given year?

I just think it's unattractive, unnecessary and pretty much a cop out in everyday conversation and lately I wish I could keep myself from using them 'cause I'm too lazy to find a more appropriate word. Now when emotions are running high (anger, frustration, love, etc), well....that's different. At that point it's sometimes necessary and sometimes uncontrollable. I mean, it's just tradition really. It's on its' way to becoming socially acceptable but it's not even like there have been new words invented to replace the classics (not to my knowledge). And I am well aware that the more common they become, the less impact they will have. Eventually. But still, to me, an F-bomb will always be an F-bomb and I intend to smack the mouth of any child I may have when I catch him saying it.

Keep in mind, I'm not on some Stop The Insanity campaign. I just want some pointers from folks who know where I'm coming from. If you have to ask "how does this matter in 09?" then it's obvious you don't and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

When you DON'T curse, you just sound more intelligent, classier, and there's an undeniable element of integrity when you speak--especially when you carry an even temper. I slip curses unneccessarily at times, but I aspire to be 'curse free'.

People who swear up and down just sound like teenagers, or uneducated oafs.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    When you DON'T curse, you just sound more intelligent, classier, and there's an undeniable element of integrity when you speak--especially when you carry an even temper. I slip curses unneccessarily at times, but I aspire to be 'curse free'.

People who swear up and down just sound like teenagers, or uneducated oafs.

I curse like a sailor. I do this with my degree in one hand and my published shit in my other hand.

I prefer cursing. I curse about everything - privately. That being said, I generally don't do it in public unless it's a private and non-broadcasted conversation.

A theory I have is that due to my constant cursing the words will have no particular impact or interest to my children. I'll see how that pans out.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I had to train myself to stop dropping the word 'cunt' into everyday conversation, replaced it with 'cat' for a while (and sounded like a jazz dude) but it sorta worked.

I also trained myself to swear in Spanish when around work type situations, which avoids many problems...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I curse a lot. I'm even much worse in German. there are a bunch of really disgusting german words for "cunt" that regularly upset people who overhear me talking to friends in public. I'm not at all concerned if people find what I say disgusting or upsetting. It amuses me but not enough to curse or talk dirty just to offend someone, or... no, I've actually been guilty of that, too. When people piss me off, like for example some fat piece of shit who freezes after clearing the door of a subway train by one inch, blocking the way for everybody who wants to get on the train behind them, I love to use the most disgusting and offensive german curse words imaginable to insult them. When in Germany, I use English or French. It's a lot of fun, especially when you get to look them straight in the eye and at normal, conversational volume call them a syphilitic, cocksucking whore, a crab-infested, childmolesting fat F*ck etc. always brings a smile to my face. I've caught the occasionaly german tourist like that and it was double the fun to see their faces go through all the emotions from surprised and confused to hurt to angry and then helpless.

F*ck and shit without any additive are so overused that they sound weak and inflational in common usage but they still slip my tounge every so often.

The constant fear of accidental cursewords was one of the main reasons for me to give up my radio show. I was moslty just genuinly afraid of the station having to pay fines and getting into a whole lot of trouble but I also hate nothing more than any form of censorship and it felt very wrong having to watch my tounge all the time.