EARLIEST HIPHOP RELATED RAP RECORDS OUTSIDE USA

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Although prolly screamingly weak compared to Sugarhill Grandmaster Flash/ Furious Five Kurtis Blow ect ect, but most likely equally fun to listen to, I'd think it would be interesting to get an overview over the first rap releases in countries outside US, early 80's stuff, I'm under the impression that labels around the world were pretty quick to pick up on the succes of Rapper Delight or The Message..Here is two from Denmark:Skwoto Rap by Skwoto on Reca from 1983, a message rap about hard times, he actually shouts the lyrics more than raps them, the music is ok, disco boogie type beats. Rap-Sodi by Michael Brenner on Artic from 1984, reads on the cover that this is Denmarks first rap record, looks more like it might be the second one, the track is a typical party bragging and boasting rap, the music is bouncy light disco boogie.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    German Rapper's Delight version entitled "Rapper's Deutsch":

• minneapminneap 541 Posts

Not sure if anyone on the Strut follows MLS or knows any of the team chants (weak as they may be) but the Chicago Fire has a chant that goes "We are red and we are white, we are f*cking dynamite!" Considering the fact that the Fire was founded in '97 I gotta believe they copped the chant from somewhere else but I found the connection funny nonetheless.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

haaa, heard the track of course but never seen that video, real funny!!

German Rapper's Delight version entitled "Rapper's Deutsch":

haaaaaaa, that Falco dude is killin it!!! So was he the first German rapper to put out a record og did the German SugarHillGang come out before that.. ?

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    falco was austrian

falco was austrian

Austria had a rap record out in 82.. What I would like to know about is Sweden, there has to be a Swedish strutter who knows when the earliest Swedish rap record dropped HOLLA (did ABBA make a disco rap maybe???)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    falco was austrian

yep, and drove himself to death high on coke on some island 10+ years ago. But he was a true Austrian Hero and he even got his props on Yo MTV Raps when Ed Lover and Dr. Dre bumped into him at some strange show in St. Petersburg (they asked him which rap songs he liked and he nonchalantly replied "the good ones"). he was that dude.

i think that rapper's deutsch thing was around the same time. 3 radio guys rapping over their musical background (the first one, frank laufenberg, rappin -if u can call it that - about petula clark and stuff). the last one - thomas gottschalk is still active on German television and is the host of the biggest European TV-Show called "Wetten Dass". "Der Kommissar" is cool, but these other three dudes suck big time.

btw..there was another record out of Germany that featured Fab 5 Freddie aka Freddie Love rapping and doing the Chorus in German with a punk band called "Die Toten Hosen" done around 84. They later on became one of the most successful bands in Germany. Please check the video. Hilarious.

plus there was a band called Ja Ja Ja who had a girl singer from NY and recorded in Germany around 82. they had a track called "Graffitti Artists International" that featured canspray noises and lines such as "Decorate the Strassenbahn".

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    falco was austrian [/quot
    e

not sure at all.

Sorry for my bad english/spelling. K just came back fom a gig which was paid in booze instead of money,

BTW i'm just wondering if there was an equivalent of the clash in Germany.
    Thread hijack; what were good early punk bands in Germany?

• minimini 879 Posts
    Finnish radio Dj General Njassa released this in 1983. I think it was first on some Finnish compilation and after that published by the French label Barclay

thanks for the

So:

Germany 1980
    Austria 1982
    Finland 1983
    Denmark 1983

The only early joints from Sweden with rap vocs that I can think of is the stuff with Grand Master Funk, not even sure he was from Sweden, more likely the US maybe, but he had some records released in Sweden with a Swedish funk band called Per Cussion All Stars, the Dont Stop album from 83 has a couple decent rap tracks on it..

but yo yo YOOO

what about..

France

UK

Canada

Japan

Australia

Brazil

and everywhere else...

HOLLER!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Australia

First hip-hop release - Just Us - Combined Talent (1988), tryin' to be on that Mantronix tip...

First sample based hip-hop 12" - AKA Brothers - 'COMING OUT LARGE / POETRY IN MOTION' (1989)

and, if you're into really fast rap (Hijack, UK style), you may want to check out DEF WISH CAST - Mad as a Hatter EP... That came out in 1992 though... had a listen to it again recently and not really my cup of tea anymore...

I can rip if you wanna hear 'em, or I can flip if you wanna own em...

peace.

p.s. Average Aussie Band - AUSSIE RAP came out as a 12" and EP and was on the Rap Attack compilation out here, however it was more of a novelty record, pretty horrible actually. That was in 1983!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Brazil

The Black Rio comp has a cover of "Rapper's Delight" -- instrumental as I recall, and dating to '80, I think. I'm sure other people here can shed more light on early Brazilian response to rap, tho.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    what about..

UK

This:

• HamHam 872 Posts
    oops already posted

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Another example of early german crappy rap from 1983.

I have another 12" that's not on youtube. It'S this guy rapping:

He was the host of a childrens TV Programm called "Spass am Dienstag" and his song is called "R??ben-Rap".

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    This came out in 1981 :

And I just discovered 10 seconds ago that they did a spanish version the following year.

1981-Italy:

(this has been also posted in th Italo-Disco thread)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    1981-Italy

I have a soft spot for "Ma Quale Idea", even though it's a cheesy novelty record. I'd rather listen to that than stuff like "Holiday Rap" or "Ant Rap". At least the groove is a pretty damn good "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" ripoff. I wish there was an instrumental too.

Balla!

1981-Italy

I wish there was an instrumental too.

Balla!

Too bad there isn't but the instrumental of "Quelle Aventure" is pretty close. When it came out I thought they had interpolated McFadden & Whitehead but found out later it was Pino who got sampled.

Forget the corny video but I still like that song to death. Rocked our houseparties in 94/95 together with Alliance Ethnik "Respect".

Brazil

The Black Rio comp has a cover of "Rapper's Delight" -- instrumental as I recall, and dating to '80, I think. I'm sure other people here can shed more light on early Brazilian response to rap, tho.

but this version does not have any vocals.. just the instrumental right?

anyways.. THANKS a lot everyone for chiming in, haaa this stuff is hilarious!!!

so i got:

Germany 1980
    France 1981
    UK 1981
    Italy 1981
    Austria 1982
    Australia 1983
    Denmark 1983
    Finland 1983
    Sweden 1983

yo Sheep, do you know this one :

Aussie nature record from 1978 with a marsupial rap, not hiphop related of course but does sound hiphop-ish, rhymes over a simple beat made up by a loopy didgeridoo and a little percussion

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    It took me a while to remember the record I was looking for but years ago I was told this is the first 'proper' (not Adam Ant or Wham!) UK rap track. Bit of a comedy one though.

Dizzy Heights - Christmas Rapping' [1982]

http://mrkrum.blogspot.com/2008/12/christmas-rap-up.html

On the same blog was this which I've never encounted before.

Barnsley Bill - Freewheeling Rap [1981]

http://mrkrum.blogspot.com/2008/07/who-is-barnsley-bill.html

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts
    Xanadu and Sweet Lady - Rappers Delight 1979
    Demo and BArry - City Funk 1980

yo Sheep, do you know this one :

Aussie nature record from 1978 with a marsupial rap, not hiphop related of course but does sound hiphop-ish, rhymes over a simple beat made up by a loopy didgeridoo and a little percussion

Ahhhh... some true Aussie $ bin common.

I remember that rap vaguely.... gunna pull it out the crates sometime today... cheers!