tacos VS burritos

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    you guys are making me hongry. the other night i had a dream about tortas. mexican food in new york is a current craze. people love chipotle. then some other shit popped up called qdobo. then there's the chinese run spots like fresco tortillas and the other one. and then there's burritoville. it all makes me sad. i need to get my ass to queens.[/b]

oh yeah, that korean taco truck is here now.

i live in sunnyside and there are so many good taco spots around... when i moved to NYC in 98, all there was was those Chinese spots (chinese restaurant dudes hopped on that bandwagon hard, a mexican restaurant takes less cooks),Taco Bell and various bogus "mission-style" burrito places which weighed everything down w/ too much rice n beans...

FF to 10 years later and i can get better carnitas here than i got at alot of San Diego spots... the pork tacos i can get on a daily basis remind of the ones you'd get in SD in neighborhood joints on some Saturday Afternoon Pig Roast shit...

that said, you still cannot get a decent SoCal burrito in NYC... when i moved here, the closest thing to it was San Loco and not alot has changed since

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

Burrito isn't even Mexican as far as I know, right? I heard they invented this stuff for the US market...

You may be thinking of hardshell tacos, which were created by the dood who started Taco Bell.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

it's all about fajitas

fools

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    I don't think i've ever had a taco, but i do like my burrirtos.
    Also, "fish taco's" just sound wrong. specially in oz. yaoming!!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Tacos

(there are certain places back home where I will opt for the burrito)

• sergserg 682 Posts
    tacos easily

I haven't eaten a burrito in a long time, I don't like rice in my shit and I'm bored of them. these days I only F*ck with tacos, huaraches, tortas, or gorditas. I found one place that makes enchiladas like my mom but still not as good, they don't use oil to fry them.

I do miss fish burritos, in this dumbass city motherfuckers try to put rice in that shit. F*ck that, should be battered fish, cabbage, sauce, lemon juice in a grilled burrito, that's it. shit is fire.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Tacos mostly, but burritos are what's really if you're extra hungry and keeping relatively neat is a factor.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    pupusas bitches

no seriously taquitos when homemade
    burritos on the run

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Tacos...not neck and neck either..Tacos leave Buhweetos in the dust.

So simple, so perfect...meat, cilantro, onion, tortilla, sauce...yum

• this is a tough one...

um

Tacos, yeah tacos

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The correct answer is...tacos.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I prefer a burrito over a taco, but I'm also basing this on Taco Bell-style tacos.

Hard to say, because I can find countless taco wagons around here and find some choice tacos. Eat four or five, BOOM! I just discovered a hot sauce called San Luis, it has the same color as boil pus but it's really good.

But I generally like burritos.

BTW - anyone tried a Hawaiiana? There's one at a taco wagon about half a mile away and want to know if it is "pork shoulder, ham, and pineapple" or something else?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    taqueria tacos or other?

what else is in the burrito?

Initial personal reaction with optimal personal ingredients has tacos as the winner.

Corn tortillas, al pastor, cilantro, grilled onion, lime, and hot sauce.

Taqueria Trucks FTW! I love some al pastor tacos served exactly like you said.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm waiting for Grandfather to answer.

I want to say tacos, but there may be some reverso thing at work like how "soccer" really is an English thing with deep_rootz... could be a trick.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I heart tacos al pastor!!!!!!!!!

Best place is right down the block from my house, $1.00 Carne Asada Tacos with all the fixins!!!!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

that dog housed that shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    Tie.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Chico's Tacos doesn't count. They are really tacquitos drowned in sauce.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts

Burrito isn't even Mexican as far as I know, right? I heard they invented this stuff for the US market...

not true. burritos are in fact mexican in origin. however, they are a newer post-columbian creation as wheat flour wasnt introduced to central america until after spain arrived.

also, i like tacos more.
    From my understanding, they were "invented" in juarez although I'm sure every town in mexico might have their own burrito creation story.
    The story around here goes that they were invented as a utility to keep tacos warm when they were being sold in the barrios. The guy selling his tacos would wrap them in flour tortillas to keep them warm, his cart would be pulled by a donkey, hence the name burritos.

Chico's Tacos doesn't count. They are really tacquitos drowned in sauce.
    lol, Chico's Tacos is Chuco's bastard taco son. that shit is pure el paso for sure.

Chuco's is now called "The Screaming Goat" after Chico's sued them. They'll forever be Chuco's to me though.

the oddest shit I've noticed in the states is the deepness of the burritos. I had eaten burritos all my life but the first time I was in San Francisco, I went to some spot in the mission district and was shocked when they put corn in my burrito. Mind blown. It was rolled fat as hell too with like 5 different things inside of it. I still can't get with rice inside my burrito...grosses me out foreal.

Growing up around here, Burritos were always one or two items at most. They were huge but never more than beans and X, x being some kid of chile con carne or similar. My favorite burritos were always Asado de puerco with refried beans. Or some chile verde burritos. If you're ever in Juarez, burritos El Padrino is that spot for the best burritos IMO. Fresh made tortillas and one item, I dont think they even have lettuce in the shack.

Tacos always had to have tons of shit on them for a proper meal. And for that reason, I like tacos way more.
    1. Corn tortillas are way tastier than flour.
    2. I was raised on plain ass burritos and a taco needed a whole ritual of adding the right salsa, avocado, sauteed onions + jalapenos, extra cilantro + onion, and always finished up with a squeeze of lime juice.
    3. flauta tacos are on some other shit that I love as well. With cabbage, raddish, carrots, the bandera (guacamole, salsa de chile de arbol, and crema).

Tacos > Burritos

p.s. burrito > taco in the bar, taco > burrito outside of the bar

Chuco's is now called "The Screaming Goat" after Chico's sued them. They'll forever be Chuco's to me though.
    haha oh yeah. I wasn't refering to the beef though.
    I meant that chico's tacos is el paso's bastard taco son (aka el chuco town)

You can find Chili Relleno Burritos in El Paso too. I can't find them anywhere here in Austin. I prefer tacos over burritos but Chili Relleno Burritos are the shit.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts
    what do LA folks think of Malo for tacos? i know they're fancy, but i'm into the chopped pickles. any type of pickle would really work, i think.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    In principle, I'd say tacos (just had 3 for lunch plus 2 late last night...they've been my post-China food craving) but there are some spots where they simply make better burritos than tacos (a lot of Mission spots come to mind), in which case, I ride for the burritos.

From a taco truck perspective, NO CONTEST. It's all about the tacos.

Fish tacos > fish burritos. Also no contest.

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    clearly tacos is the winner. it's not even a contest.

peace, stein. . .

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Booooooooooooooo!! i contest!!haha.