Another LA food thread (out of town guest-R)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
LA fam: My friend Gary Wang, aka DJ V-Nutz, from Shanghai is coming into town. I know a few of the folks around here - Thes, Rodney at the very least - know him since he's brought out UD and PUTS to Shanghai in the past. This is his first trip to the U.S. and his first trip to L.A. Those who know him know he's The Dude when it comes to be a gracious host in China and he always blesses folks with some kick ass dining experiences (that plus the ill DVD store in Jing-An but that's another story). I wanted to make sure when he got to LA, he gets to eat right and I have my list of places I plan on taking him but am open to other suggestions. I know one thing he wants to have is either/both some kick ass BBQ or else soul food. I was going to hit up Phillip's on Crenshaw for the former but the only soul food spot I've really tried is the one in Gardena, on Redondo Beach Blvd. (it was cool but I didn't think it was anything to write home about). We'll probably do In N Out (unless he hits it up in SF first), I was thinking maybe Langer's. Definitely Tacos Baja Ensenada in East LA. Where else would folks recommend for a 'definitive LA eating experience' (and please, no Pink's or Tommy's!)Also - if folks wanted to get together for dinner to welcome Gary to LA, let's make it happen. He'll be here the 3rd week of July and probably spinning at my night on the 23rd.

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's. Roscoe's.

Oh, wait, actually, I am.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    he's The Dude when it comes to be a gracious host in China

amen! thanks gary!

peace, stein. . .

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Roscoe's schmoscoes. I find their chicken and waffles overrated by a country mile. Is the rest of their grub any better?

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    santouka, best ramen in N. America.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Baby Blues for ribs in SM. + the waitresses are nice to look at

The ribs are good? I went there for the pulled pork and brisket and both were "meh"

amen! thanks gary!

peace, stein. . .

LOL - dude, hip-hoppers and their "I'm hard" face. Stop frontin!

It's really funny in Gary's case - dude smiles most of the time...unless he's taking a formal photo, in which case, the tough guise just falls over.

Pullin' cards!

Yeah, def thought about this though Shanghai is not lacking for good Japanese food.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bold claim.......

bold claim.......

Not really. I've tried "the best" in Seattle, LA, the Bay and NY and I think Santouka has the title on lock out of those cities.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    co-sign on roscoe's, baby blues and langers.

i love the food at roscoe's - it's quick and there's a lot of variety. i don't know how you can not like the chicken there (i never get the waffles). plus, it's legendary in it's own right. plus, you can walk there from Amoeba.

baby blues can have long line ups, but the waitress ARE very nice and the ribs are excellent.

the pastrami at langers is unf*ckwitable. you'll never have pastrami like it anywhere else.

i'd also recommend El Tepayac on the east side for burritos. go big or go home.

also, i don't expect to change any minds with such a simple statement, but for the record: fatburger > in-n-out

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    for the definitive LA experience, id say ports of call at the LA harbor in san pedro. decent ambiance (la harbor), and the clientele is like no other. asian folks got their rice cookers plugged in along the benches, latino folks singing ranchera karaoke, and some of the best seafood and garlic bread outdoor chow down ever.

gardena bowl has a diner that specializes in hawaiian food but caters to the working class folks of south LA. at any given time youll see grandpas, high school kids, and just regular ass working folks. my favorite diner in all of LA.

you gotta hit up a taco truck. there is nothing like standing around holding a soggy paper plate eating tacos at 3am. there are no specifics to the game, just pick one. late nite.

as far as chicken and waffle, i like dinahs. theres also that huge chicken n waffle spot on vermont near manchester. i think it is called waffle factory or some such. i havent tried it but pumping that much money in that neighborhood, im assuming they have some staying power.

theres a spot at the plaza de mexico that makes fresh paletas. i think its called paletas michoacan, anyways, plaza mexico is kinda interesting in a disneyland ethnic supermall sort of way. its in lynwood. also, to my dudes at mateos on pico, they make a proper paleta as well.

los balcones in hollywood has real good peruvian food. their ceviche is super fucken bomb and apparently they fly in dinosaur corn from the andes every week.

el parian in pico union. it dont get more LA than that.

ackee bamboo in leimert park is real nice and the food is good too. i like the tilapia and the jerk is decent, when they have it.

wow - thank you for those recommendations, Shig. this one's for you ...

Leon

no problem

also, the og honey kettle in compton is decent. definitely better than the foofie culver city one, but for me their chicken is too greasy. but for the ambiance and the honey packets, you cant go wrong with the alondra one.

there's supposedly a whole bunch of new bbq joints along the manchester corridor, but i like bludsos in compton. i cant cosign on the ribs but that brisket is great.

gaja in lomita for the authentic okonomiyaki.

bob's okazuya in gardena for hawaiian breakfast, coconut syrup and homemade portuguese sausage.

simply wholesome for that health food baldwin hills fix. theyre pretty nice with the healthy stuff. smoothies are damn good but the best thing there is also prolly the least healthy. jamaican patties. its one of the only places where the pastry is so thin, it barely holds the insides together.

amen! thanks gary!

peace, stein. . .

It's really funny in Gary's case - dude smiles most of the time...unless he's taking a formal photo, in which case, the tough guise just falls over.

Pullin' cards!

hahaha. yeah i was surprised by that pic too because he's such a cheerful dude(so am i). i guess our hip hop senses kicked in.

peace, stein. . .

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Roscoe's schmoscoes. I find their chicken and waffles overrated by a country mile. Is the rest of their grub any better?

Impasse on Roscoe's then (it's hallowed ground for me). How about the Godmother at Bay Cities Deli, for something quick and good? Chili burger at Carney's on Sunset?

>How about the Godmother at Bay Cities Deli, for something >quick and good?

You know what's quicker and gooder? A fresh baked loaf and a few meatballs from Bay Cities. (No line-ups at the deli counter.)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

^^^ FIST IS READY FOR THA GRIPP !!!!

The ribs are good? I went there for the pulled pork and brisket and both were "meh"

their ribs are what they are known for. co-sign on the godmother from bay cities -- best sandwich in los angeles hands down. email your order in from their website 20 mins. in advance and save yourself an hour wait in line.

^^^ FIST IS READY FOR THA GRIPP !!!!

hahahahaha!!!

Et tu o-dub?

peace, stein. . .

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    is v-nutz coming to nyc?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    is v-nutz coming to nyc?

"Yeah i will be in NY from 12th to 19th of July." he says

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    gaja in lomita for the authentic okonomiyaki.

Loved that place.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I was in LA a couple weeks back and had the pleasure of running into a Korean BBQ truck in Little Tokyo.

Shit was off the hook. It wasn't the Kogi one I've heard people rave about, though.. some new joint. I would definitely not be mad at crossing paths with this after a night at the club.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I think it was this one:
    http://calbibbq.com/blog/

I think it was this one:
    http://calbibbq.com/blog/
    false rasta

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    roscoe's isn't what it used to be. admit it fellas. the food is becoming subpar, and they've raised prices significantly in the past few years.

on the real, don't sleep on the korean food out here. it's major. the honey pig @ 3400 W 8th St. will melt your face off. get the brisket and you're in for one of the best evenings of your life. yeah, your life.

Shig: Thanks as always. When it comes to food, Gary's like the Shanghai version of you - knows all the ill grub spots.

no problem dude. my friend was telling me about this one blogger dude that has the diggers knowledge on east los food spots. like, some chicks house out there where every saturday she cooks up a whole goat and sells it out front. i'll try and get the blog info on that one, cuz i wanna know too!