movie strut vol.345

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited April 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
i just signed up for netflix cause i ain't gonna shell out 50 bucks a month for the same lame ass movies...what have any of you seen lately that is really good...last one i watched... insanely creepy

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    what type of movies you into? should i base it off that weir flick?

oh snap! i got it! movies that will make you fall asleep.

barry lyndon
    2001: space oddysey
    last year at marienbad

to start.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

barry lyndon

thats a kubrick film right?
    any good?

• oh snap! i got it! movies that will make you fall asleep.

barry lyndon - kubrick[/b]
    2001: a space oddysey - kubrick[/b]
    last year at marienbad - resnais[/b]

thats a kubrick film right?
    any good?

i cant honestly say. every time i try and watch it, i fall asleep. as for the rest of those 3 as well.

anyways, i heard netflix doesnt have much selection as far as foreign joints go. true?

id recommend any flick by abbas kiarostami. i think he's iranian. i really really like his movies, even though their kinda "academic" and "philosophical". something tells me youd like that tho...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Just to continue with dreamy/creepy movies of yesteryear
    The Wicker Man
    Zabriskie Point
    The Night of the Hunter

The Night of the Hunter

one of my favorites!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The Wicker Man
    Zabriskie Point
    The Night of the Hunter

The Wicker Man is great...I remember when it used to be sorta 'raer', only 'Real Headz' knew the deal, nowadays it is much more widely heralded, and rightly so.
    An early film that deals with British Occult themes in a completely different way:

Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon

EXCELLENT scary classic.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The Wicker Man

Zabriskie Point

The Night of the Hunter

Co-sign on Wicker Man!

I'll go with Black Christmas & Cannibal Girls as my creepy movies of yesteryear. Also, for British flicks, I gotta go with "The Shout". That was some wacked out shit...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon

Oui! Jacques Tourneur !! He also directed "Out of the Past," one of my favorite films of all time, starring your avatar...and he directed the film I "most want to see," which is "Nightfall," a David Goodis adaptation starring Aldo Ray...

My roomie rented "Sky Captain and the Blah Blah Blah," and it put me to sleep in a record 14 minutes and 32 seconds!

"...You are getting VERY...SLEEPY...SLLEEEEEEPY...."[/b]

The Wicker Man
    Zabriskie Point
    The Night of the Hunter

Co-sign on Wicker Man!

I'll go with Black Christmas & Cannibal Girls as my creepy movies of yesteryear. Also, for British flicks, I gotta go with "The Shout". That was some wacked out shit...

Cannibal Girls with Andrea Martin and Eugene Levy? That was hilarious!

Another somewhat creepy movie is Don't Look Now with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. It might get cheesy for some at points, but I think I was in the right mood to get into it. Apparently the sex scene was a last minute addition and the two of them "did it" for real.

well well. if we're going bugged out dreamy shit, cant forget the dude, bunuel. that mofo was ILL. highly recommended. anything by this dude is great!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The Wicker Man
    Zabriskie Point
    The Night of the Hunter

Co-sign on Wicker Man!

Cannibal Girls with Andrea Martin and Eugene Levy? That was hilarious!

Yep, that "Cannibal Girls". They show this on MoviePix regularly. I saw it not too long ago with my mom, of all people. There were some pretty funny scenes in it, but it's a frickin' weird ass moive...That dude in the tuxedo was freaky.

Peace

h

well well. if we're going bugged out dreamy shit, cant forget the dude, bunuel. that mofo was ILL. highly recommended. anything by this dude is great!

Yes, this is true. And the committee agrees.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    If you want to see a movie that will truly disgust, sicken and horrify you...

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I had wanted to see 'Dancer In The Dark' for awhile only just got round to seeing it. Its a musical with Bjork in it, not your typicaly musical though anyway I loved it really clicked with me. Really go and check it out some lovely music in it of course.

Also only just got round to seeing 'Open Your Eyes' and 'Vanilla Sky' again very good films very thought provoking, Vanilla Sky is a remake of Open Your Eyes, Open Your Eyes is a bit better but both great watches.

A monthly watch usually goes to Commando easily the best film EvAAAAAAA closely followed by The Running Man. I think we need an appreciation thread for Commando right now. Here is several reasons why it is sooooo good.

1. Arnies character is called John Matrix.
    2. The main enemy looks like Freddy Mercury and is Australian also he wears chainmail.
    3. Guns never run out of ammo.
    4. This line; Bennett: John, I'm not going to shoot you between the eyes. I'm going to shoot you between the balls.
    5. Arnie and his daughter feed a deer.
    6. For no apparent reason Arnie strips into his speedos.

There are too many reasons to see this film watch it NOOOOW. Altho I must say The Running Man has my fave line ever; Ben Richards: I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!

Oh and God I went to see Be Cool the other day avoid avoid sooooooooooooooooooo bad.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    If you want to see a movie that will truly disgust, sicken and horrify you...

what are 'the bacterial cops'?

I had wanted to see 'Dancer In The Dark' for awhile only just got round to seeing it. Its a musical with Bjork in it, not your typicaly musical though anyway I loved it really clicked with me. Really go and check it out some lovely music in it of course.

Also only just got round to seeing 'Open Your Eyes' and 'Vanilla Sky' again very good films very thought provoking, Vanilla Sky is a remake of Open Your Eyes, Open Your Eyes is a bit better but both great watches.

A monthly watch usually goes to Commando easily the best film EvAAAAAAA closely followed by The Running Man. I think we need an appreciation thread for Commando right now. Here is several reasons why it is sooooo good.

1. Arnies character is called John Matrix.
    2. The main enemy looks like Freddy Mercury and is Australian also he wears chainmail.
    3. Guns never run out of ammo.
    4. This line; Bennett: John, I'm not going to shoot you between the eyes. I'm going to shoot you between the balls.
    5. Arnie and his daughter feed a deer.
    6. For no apparent reason Arnie strips into his speedos.

There are too many reasons to see this film watch it NOOOOW. Altho I must say The Running Man has my fave line ever; Ben Richards: I live to see you eat that contract, but I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine!

Oh and God I went to see Be Cool the other day avoid avoid sooooooooooooooooooo bad.

oh hell yeah!!! another favorite line is this

"cutting the little girls throat, will be like cutting warm butter" done in a weird hispanic/southeast asian/middle eastern accent.

definately worth a netflix rental.

also, what was homeboys name? the fat opera singer dude? dynamo? something like that. that dude RULED with his christmas light get-up.

yeah its funny that bit in Commando when that dude is talking about cutting that girls throat and saying its like cutting warm butter then Bennett looks at him and says 'put that knife away and shut up'.
    This bit gets me every time.
    Bennett: I really love listening to your little piss head soldiers trying to talk tough. They make me laugh. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.
    Arius: Mr. Bennett, my soldiers are patriots.
    Bennett: Your soldiers are nothing. Matrix and I can kill every one of them
    [click]
    Bennett: in the blink of an eye. Remember that.
    Arius: Are you trying to... frighten me?
    Bennett: I don't have to try. When Matrix finishes the job, he'll be back for his daughter. Now whether she's alive or dead doesn't matter. Then he'll be after you. Now the only thing between Matrix and you, is me.
    Arius: It is you that is afraid, Mr. Bennett. YOU are afraid of Matrix.
    Bennett: Of course. I'm smart. But I have an edge; I have his daughter.

Yeah in The Running Man its Dynamo, Captain Freedoms where it is at though. Geez im passionate but these films.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I cannot push any films on to anyone...

CEPT

Not a typical samurai sword flick. Just a beautiful movie.
    I've said it before on the strut, but I just have to keep on pushing it til everyone see's it!!

yeah its funny that bit in Commando when that dude is talking about cutting that girls throat and saying its like cutting warm butter then Bennett looks at him and says 'put that knife away and shut up'.
    This bit gets me every time.
    Bennett: I really love listening to your little piss head soldiers trying to talk tough. They make me laugh. If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too.
    Arius: Mr. Bennett, my soldiers are patriots.
    Bennett: Your soldiers are nothing. Matrix and I can kill every one of them
    [click]
    Bennett: in the blink of an eye. Remember that.
    Arius: Are you trying to... frighten me?
    Bennett: I don't have to try. When Matrix finishes the job, he'll be back for his daughter. Now whether she's alive or dead doesn't matter. Then he'll be after you. Now the only thing between Matrix and you, is me.
    Arius: It is you that is afraid, Mr. Bennett. YOU are afraid of Matrix.
    Bennett: Of course. I'm smart. But I have an edge; I have his daughter.

Yeah in The Running Man its Dynamo, Captain Freedoms where it is at though. Geez im passionate but these films.

KNOWLEDGE GOD!

i seem to remember that arius guy being nick fratelli or whatever from cheers. is this right?

yeah I think you might be right can't remember his real name.

Tasogare seibei looks ill shall check this out. I don't get to see many Samurai flicks but I loved Zatoichi which some people seem to see as a blemish, I enjoyed it though very good. Oh reminded me I need to see Oldboy.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

Honestly, I can see how the movie would make someone fall asleep, but watching that shit on the silver screen is a damn near hypnotic experience. Visually it's one of my favorite movies ever.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Tasogare seibei looks ill shall check this out. I don't get to see many Samurai flicks but I loved Zatoichi which some people seem to see as a blemish, I enjoyed it though very good. Oh reminded me I need to see Oldboy.

Yeah... There's not alot of fighting in this flick (A few scenes). But it's just an awesome film.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing oldboy in the theater. I saw it last summer and it's a quality korean flick.

Sidenote: Anyone looking forward to seeing Unleashed? Jet and Morgan together eh???

they are playing 'Mean Streets' down my local cinema soon. One of my fave films glad I can get to see it on the big screen.

• I can't believe you just made a list of the great things about "Commando" and failed to include the words "Alyssa" and "Milano."

I can't believe you just made a list of the great things about "Commando" and failed to include the words "Rae"[/b] and "Dawn"[/b] and "Chong"[/b].

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

More like:

i think it says somehing about me