movie strut vol.345

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I can't believe you just made a list of the great things about "Commando" and failed to include the words "Rae"[/b] and "Dawn"[/b] and "Chong"[/b].

• slushslush 691 Posts
    some stuff i dug lately

breathless (godard's first)
    sword of doom
    kung fu hustle (though netflix prolly dont carry bootlegs do they)
    mc5 doc (which was low on past footage and high on old folks talking about good old times)
    spongebob squarepants the movie
    Heaven (beautifully filmed and overlooked movie written by Kieslowski)
    california split (depressing but enjoyable early Altman flick about 2 gamblers. Elliot Gould kills it.)
    Fearless Vampire Killers (you can rarely go wrong with Polanski. same goes for vampires)

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    co-sign on Nostalgia and the Sacrafice. Also, Tarkovsky's films "Solaris," "Andrei Rublev," and "The Stalker" are worth checking out. They will make your girlfriend fall asleep though.
    Can't believe nobody's mentioned the pink elephant ALTERED STATES. Best movie of all time.
    On the foreign tip, "400 Blows," "Ran," "Redbeard," and tons more others.

Don't forget "The People Under the Stairs." Wes Craven at his finest.

BTW, Netflix ripped me off.

• I cannot push any films on to anyone...

CEPT

Not a typical samurai sword flick. Just a beautiful movie.

I've said it before on the strut, but I just have to keep on pushing it til everyone see's it!!

i saw it last week. it was good, a little slow but very well done

peeped steamboy last night. It was good, I was expecting another akira. Barely a plot. It was pretty much just an excuse to see how sick otomo could get with animation (which was phenominal). I recommend seeing it on the big screen while you still can.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    they are playing 'Mean Streets' down my local cinema soon. One of my fave films glad I can get to see it on the big screen.

uhhhh.... LUCKY!!!

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    i dig barry lyndon. probably my second favorite kubrick (behind the shining).

if you want foreign movies check out l'avventura (either one of two v's)

if you want documentary check out crumb. i've seen that about 30 times and it is still fascinating.

co shig on the night of the hunter and bunuel (minus the age of gold). especially the discrett charm of the bourgiouse and exterminating angels (don't think netflix has that one though) simply bizarro.

and stay away from tartovsky that guy is boooooooring.

dave

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Double Indemnity

Oh yes! this is a

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Happy Together

Thanks for reminding me that I really need to watch this again. I'm adding it to my netflix cue right now.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

haven't seen this yet, but I've been to hanging rock and have the record(s)

and two NZ flicks well worth checking:

Whalerider

Perfect strangers

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts

if you want foreign movies check out l'avventura (either one of two v's)

and stay away from tartovsky that guy is boooooooring.

As a fan of both L'avventura and Tarkovsky's body of work, I can't see how you'd recommend one and criticize the other. The only Tarkovsky I can see as 'boring' is Solaris, which is still pretty dope...

Another Antonioni film that is worth watching (to say the least), is the criminally overlooked The Passenger with one of Jack Nicholson's best performances to boot.

• 8 1/2

Major co-sign on all Fellini...

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    I've heard some disturbing rumours that The Wicker Man is getting a hollywood remake with nicholas fu**ing cage in it..

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I've heard some disturbing rumours that The Wicker Man is getting a hollywood remake with nicholas fu**ing cage in it..

not surprising...they will get around to cannibalizing most all of the classics eventually, with bad results being the norm. I am, however, looking forward to Peter Jackson's KING KONG. He has enough talent, juice and love for the original to do something really good, so here's keeping the fingers crossed.

• oh snap! i got it! movies that will make you fall asleep.

to start.

"Nomad Riders" - anyone knows that ?

i n c r e d i b l e

• I've heard some disturbing rumours that The Wicker Man is getting a hollywood remake with nicholas fu**ing cage in it..

Confirmed I guess.
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0450345/

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Days Of Being Wild

Maggie Cheung!

I saw Since Otar Left this weekend and I thought it was great.

This woman is incredible!

• autezautez 404 Posts
    upping this cuz im looking for some more recommendations for my netflixxx

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Last few movies I saw were pretty good documentaries- Dig! and Word Wars.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    thought this would be cool after all those years, butt..... nope!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i put all you heads up on The Wicker Man. AK LIKE YOU KNOW

dood, i've only seen one movie...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    i put all you heads up on Thw Wicker Man. AK LIKE YOU KNOW
    Pretty sure I saw Wicker Man when you were like 7 years old my man, but nice try.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    im sayin, i think i saw it when i was 7

• Voms72Voms72 18 Posts
    This is one of my favorite films.

"Come and See" by Eliem Klimau
    Starring Aliaksiej Krauc^anka, Vol'ha MironavaProduced by Belarusfilm and Mosfilm

"Set in 1943 German-occupied Belarus, the film follows an adolescent boy through the nightmare that is war."
    - IFEX International Video

"Come and See", based on a historical genocide, renders excruciatingly fresh the grief and madness of war."
    - The Village Voice

Great beauty...Hypnotically sensual...It is a remarkable cinematic achievement."
    - Los Angeles Herald Examiner

The movie is graphically arresting. It is showing one by one the images that are imprinted in every Belarusian's mind. As I was watching it the stories of my grandma about the horrors of German occupation were constantly reemerging from the farthest corners of my memory. It is extremely powerful movie. Anyone who wants to understand why Belarus is all covered with WWII memorials should see this movie. It shows the tragic last days of the Belarusian village whose inhabitants were burned alive in SS punishment operation. 628 Belarusian villages were burned by fascists with their entire population burned ALIVE during WWII. Every forth Belarusian perished during WWII. The tragic fate of the burned villages is commemorated in Khatyn' WWII Memorial near Minsk. Khatyn' was only one village with such a horrible fate. A handful of soil was brought from each of 628 villages where fascists burned alive their inhabitants and a symbolic Graveyard of Villages was founded in Khatyn'. Every hour the bells of Khatyn' are ringing to remind us about the horrible crimes that a human nature is capable of. Today the younger and happier generation prefers not to think about our history and look to the future, not to the past. But the safe future could only be built with a good memory of our past. COME AND SEE if you don't want it ever happen again."

is that the same soviet katin forest where 4000 polish officers were executed?

i just signed up for netflix cause i ain't gonna shell out 50 bucks a month for the same lame ass movies...

what have any of you seen lately that is really good...

Put this in your queue (releases on August 23rd): http://www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70024111&trkid=181026

Bambouche's suggestion of Little Otik was good.

If you like Wong Kar Wai check out 2046 (a loose sequel to In the Mood for Love)

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I just found this great movie rental store in Pasadena called Videotheque. They had this movie that was pretty much the 40 minute music video of Serge Gainsbourg's Hisotire de Melody Nelson. With Serge smoking, driving and talking the pants off Jane Birkin. Mmmmmm Jane Birkin.

Oh yeah, I just watched The Great Escape again last night. I love escape movies. Papillon is another good one (and it too has the hunky Steve McQueen).

May I also recommend:

What's Up Tigerlily?

Fanny & Alexander

Freeway

Time Bandits

Sharkey's Machine (Burt Reynolds and ninjas? Hell yeah!)

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Director's name follows in brackets -

In a Lonely Place (Ray) - fave Bogart performance...
    Les enfants du paradis (Carne)
    Pather panchali (Ray)
    I Vitelloni (Fellini)
    The White Sheik (Fellini)
    Bande a parte (Godard)
    Les bonnes femmes (Chabrol)
    Late Spring (Ozu)
    To Be or Not to Be (Lubitsch)
    Black Jesus (Zurlini)

Lemme know if you want more recs...