Apple WWDC (NRR)

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
http://live.gizmodo.com/Anyone been to one of these before? I'm excited about the new iPhone.Edit: And Snow Leopard.

Comments

• chasechase 767 Posts
    man I would be pissed if I just bought an iphone

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I was going to buy a macbook last week. Man am I glad I waited.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    HOLY CRAP did they come through big with this one. Everything I was hoping for here.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

Edit: And Snow Leopard.

$29 FTW!!!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    and 9 more days until the 3.0 release drops

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Edit: And Snow Leopard.

$29 FTW!!!

I couldn't agree more!

Real excited on that one.

Going to have to get an iPhone and it couldn't come at a better time as I'm less than a month away from my current contract expiring. Really feeling that you can now share your iPhone's internet connection with your laptop. Internetz is getting serious now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i totally should have worked on hustling to sell my macbook earlier

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I won't upgrade my iphone. On the hardware side it doesn't really seem worth it (especially at what price cell phone companies are gonna ask for on upgrading). I'm happy to upgrade to 3.0 tho.

I bought a macbook a few months ago... Kinda sucks. But whatever.

A friend of mine bought a macbook pro a week ago... She's already has it set to ship it back and get the new one. I warned her... But it's at no cost to her, so she's not in bad shape.

Does anyone care that they lose the express port and gain an SD slot?

Looking forward to Snow Leopard in Sept

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    oh shit, express card slots only on the 17" now? i can see some people being pissed about that.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    they removed the audio in port on the 13" too.

then again, firewire comes back, apple realized they fucked up on that one.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    you can now share your iPhone's internet connection with your laptop

Do i need a mac for this? I think work is about to buy me a new phone, and this may be just the thing to pry me away from another blackberry. Also, will AT&T really allow this?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Whats good about all the updates is that they aren't gimmicks - Apple's in good enough shape that they dont have to make another hype product to grow their user base, pretty much all they did here was make existing products a lot better and at better price points. The OS update is IMO the best part of this as OS X kept adding on new stuff and lost the zippyness it started out with.

13-inch macbook pro at $1000 with the education discounts is a steal. With the ipod and printer rebates, if you sold those you could probably get it down below a grand.

Do i need a mac for this? I think work is about to buy me a new phone, and this may be just the thing to pry me away from another blackberry. Also, will AT&T really allow this?

Works with both PC and Mac.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    they removed the audio in port on the 13" too.

then again, firewire comes back, apple realized they fucked up on that one.

I'm guessing they'll probably drop it from the Macbooks eventually. Shit, if anything I would figure the SD card slots they put on the Pros would be more useful on the Macbooks than Firewire at this point.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    man I would be pissed if I just bought an iphone

Word. Existing 3G owners won't qualify for the lower pricing model unless they've owned the phone for at least a year. I'm not really tripping personally - I've had my iPhone since last July and waiting an extra month in order to save $200 is fine by me. But if you bought your 3G in April?

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    I've always said that I won't buy an iPhone before it has at least 30GB, and now they've released a version with it. My iPod just got broken, and my phone sucks. I was about to buy an iPod Classic 120GB but maybe I shall buy a 32gb iPhone instead.

How do you use your iPhone? Just as a phone and mp3 player, or are all the games and other software apps something more than a cheap gimmick?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I just bought a (refurbed) 15" MacBook Pro a few months. Can someone explain to me the differences so I may kick myself?

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    I just bought a (refurbed) 15" MacBook Pro a few months. Can someone explain to me the differences so I may kick myself?

The battery is now built into the computer like the 17" Macbook Pro. This allows for longer battery life, at the cost of not having the capability to use multiple batteries.

They replaced the ExpressCard slot with a SD Card slot.

They bumped the processor specs.

Maximum memory is now 8GB instead of 4GB.

$200+ price drop depending on the exact specs you choose.

They talked about the display, but I am not sure if they were just talking about how good it's been since the glass screen pros debuted, or if they actually are using new ones on the brand new models.

So basically, you just get more for your money, longer battery life & 8gb of memory expansion....

• Options
    I've always said that I won't buy an iPhone before it has at least 30GB, and now they've released a version with it. My iPod just got broken, and my phone sucks. I was about to buy an iPod Classic 120GB but maybe I shall buy a 32gb iPhone instead.

How do you use your iPhone? Just as a phone and mp3 player, or are all the games and other software apps something more than a cheap gimmick?

You will love your iPhone and all the amazing shit it can do.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

The battery is built in and not swapable like the 17" model was. This allows for longer battery life, at the cost of not having the capability of carrying an extra battery

They replaced the ExpressCard slot with a SD Card slot.

They bumped the processor specs.

Maximum memory is now 8GB instead of 4GB.

$200+ price drop depending on the exact specs you choose.

They talked about the display, but I am not sure if they were just talking about how good it's been since the glass screen pros debuted, or if they actually are using new ones on the brand new models.

So basically, you just get more for your money, longer battery life & 8gb of memory expansion....

Thank you, sir!

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Works with both PC and Mac.

But not with AT&T

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'm confused - is there or is there not a legit tethering app?

I'm confused - is there or is there not a legit tethering app?

Yes there will be a legit tethering app that will work with both Mac OSX & Windows. It is up to the individual carriers to allow you to use it.

For US customers, AT&T confirmed that you *will* be able to use tethering, but they did not release any details on when it will be available and if there will be an additional service charge for using it

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The ability with 3.0 will be legit from apple. It's up to your cell provider what the deal is...

I know with my provider here in Canada have said tethering is fine for now.

Copied from engadget....

"It's been known since day one that iPhone OS 3.0 would support data tethering, and Apple took the opportunity at WWDC today to drive the point home by saying that it'd be launching the service with 22 carrier partners in 44 countries. Of course, it's easy to have assumed that AT&T wouldn't be one of those partners, but we've been told today by a company spokesman that it will be offering tethering on the device -- it just doesn't have any announcements to make at this time. Whether that means availability will be delayed (perhaps until the 7.2Mbps upgrade is built out) or they're just trying to hammer out pricing, we don't know, but it's a promising sign."

The MMS won't be able available until later in the summer according to Apple and AT&T. Hopefully tethering is available by then.

Kind of annoying that its not available right away.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I just pulled the trigger on the 13in Macbook pro. I was pissed last week because I was approved for the 1 year no interest, but I wouldn't let me place my order. I guess I know why now.

I was really excited about the new 15" notebooks until i realized how much Apple dropped the ball with removing the express card slot.

If you run a firewire audio interface or use firewire video cameras, but need to run firewire external drives it is impossible.

Looks like I'm going to have to go with the 17"???at least they dropped the price by $200, and I can get a matte screen.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Has everyone tried Safari 4? One crash so far but other than that,

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i spent the last 8 months working on the tomtom app. you have no idea how f*ckin hardcore apple are until you have dealt with them.

at least i can finally talk about my work now. i have been NDO'd up the ass for too long now.