Weekend finds

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
Never started one of these beforeGarage sale today:

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Never started one of these before

• I'm guessing this was an ebay find. What shape was the vinyl in?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

I'm guessing this was an ebay find. What shape was the vinyl in?

This is the worst Lightmen LP I own

b/w

'03 holluer!

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

I'm guessing this was an ebay find. What shape was the vinyl in?

Yeah, eBay. I wish I could say I found it in good old Iowa. The record is VG- to VG at best. Some tracks have audible surface noise. I'm pleased though.

This is the worst Lightmen LP I own

b/w

'03 holluer!

DAMN, what a price! Check your PMs.

• flea market finds:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The never ending quest for 45s continues....... thanks to Friends of Sound for setting me up with a fair few of these.

• Up & caffeinated early for the local yard sales. Fun spot this am was the entire city of fortuna having a yard sale. The downtown was closed for four blocks w/ sales on the street. Plus home sales.

I dug many records. Lots of folks who were really nice. Again, my price per record is usually 25 cents or for some up to a buck.

I put that Howard Roberts on when I got home -- twisted . . . someone got HR really stoned, it includes ganja skits, and a locked groove heartbeat?

Digging through people's record collections (especially if they let you into their house) is kinda cool because you get a view of their life. I took a good handful from a couple who were a bit older, but had stacks of amps and instruments in the living room.

In the relationship they'd each brought copies of Sketches of Spain & Walking in space. Seemed kind of romantic to me.

Then the fine day continued with a trip to the local baseball park for opening day for the Humboldt Crabs. Victory 4-2 over the Fairfield Indians. Much beer, peanuts, and the ever-dangerous cascade of $1 veggie dogs brought out to you in the stands during the late innings. Ungh.

Nice finds above y'all. Gravelheadwrap, I'm gonna give you a noogie for some of those. (I doubt I'm the first). Fishmongerfunk, I wonder who would win if Barry White and Hugh Maskela wrestled -- I'd go with Barry White cuz of the Love Unlmiited ladies . . . you know they'd tear yuh up.

Nice 45s Holmes. So much Eddie Bo . . . and Alvin Cash. *shudder* It was simple in Fortuna 45 land -- although I did dig through a fair number of 7's today. Only the O'jays, Lee Charles (Hotwax), and some funk came home.

And I did yell really loud at the dude batting for Fairfield wearing #45: "You suck, seven inches!" Fulling thinking that everyone knows that 45s are also called seven inches. But instead all the drunk crowd around me started yelling obscene stuff about dude.

Peace y'all.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Some flea market finds from last week (except Eddie Hazel from record shop)

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Some flea market finds from last week (except Eddie Hazel from record shop)

What's that Jukka Tolonen like?

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    like your avatar king maxwell...

just one find, courtesy a fellow strutter...

wish i could say there was a 3.99 stamp on it but alas, it was lower than 'market' value...been after it since 1995-96 school year, and i just said fuggit.

d

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

In the relationship they'd each brought copies of Sketches of Spain & Walking in space. Seemed kind of romantic to me.

Emo diggin'

wish i could say there was a 3.99 stamp on it but alas, it was lower than 'market' value...been after it since 1995-96 school year, and i just said fuggit.

d

I will have to take the plunge on this one too someday.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

d

I will have to take the plunge on this one too someday.

I got one for $20 in NY last year without the cover... if anyone has a cover, I will pay some loot on it!

• Just got this one. Zig Modeliste and a post-Meters band from 1980-ish in the modern funk stylee. Apparently this was commissioned by none other than Popeye's chicken as a Saints-related promo. It ain't the Meters, but it is pretty good.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

HOW'S THAT LATEEF?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

Just got this one. Zig Modeliste and a post-Meters band from 1980-ish in the modern funk stylee. Apparently this was commissioned by none other than Popeye's chicken as a Saints-related promo. It ain't the Meters, but it is pretty good.

Zig actually just released a CD of previously unreleased tracks from a Zig & Gaboon's Gang live show at the Saenger Theatre in NOLA in 1980. Claims that also on the bill were the Meters (but hadn't they broken up by then? if not i guess they were about to...), Neville Bros, and George Porter & his Runnin Pardners.

The keyboard player in the band was a young Ivan Neville (Aaron's son), who now fronts a group called Dumpstaphunk. The bass player, Nick Daniels, is also in Dumpstaphunk nowadays.

Oh, and the album's pretty good, and it starts off with Let's Get Fired Up.

http://www.lala.com/#album/2810527642580694966
    http://louisianamusicfactory.com/showoneprod.asp?ProductID=6329

Last thing - Let's Get Fired Up was the only record they ever released.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Came home this morning at 6 from one of the best DJ gigs I've had in a long time (shouts to DJ Kolbak and The Funkatheque crew).

Got up at 11 with a hangover, ate some oatmeal, jumped on the racing bike and went to the countryside for a late-pass flea market run.

Thought everything would be cleaned out, but I did get some OK leftovers:

Ripple Blast does Funny Girl, UK Bongo Band double, UBB euro disco, Ocean moder (feelin this), Que Tal America double, Cheyenne double, Carmel 80s UK soul/jazz, reggae stuff, clean Otis (why are his LPs always beat to death?).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Otis (why are his LPs always beat to death?).

Because people played the shit out of them.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Otis (why are his LPs always beat to death?).

Because people played the shit out of them.

Yeah, I know, but it's just such a bummer when you're trying to get clean copies of obvious classics

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Thought this was a one tracker until I got my hands on a copy... one of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Can't stop playing it, and gets a little louder each time.

• JaytxJaytx 1 Post
    Just one worth mentioning. Latin Breed-USA lp. Its on GCP 1975- San Antonio, Texas. "Funky Mambo" stands out quit nicely. Anyone else have this? Or know anything about it?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Stan Kenton Clinic @ the University Of Redlands, 1971...Session 2 Concert: Sealed copy on National Custom of Kenton's arrangers and various friends performing at the school near Riverside, CA. There's a cover of "I Got You" and a couple of originals, "J'Rock" and "Rock Odyssey". According to the back, the first concert has covers of "Scorpio" and "Whiter Shade Of Pale"

Mariane Fatihfull "This Little Bird" (Decca)
    Lennie Hibbert "Creation" (Studio One): Most likely one of those boot reissues. Either way, I like it.
    American Gypsy S/T: Excellent copy of the British press
    Quatermass S/T (Harvest, 1970): Ehhh....I'm disappointed with this.
    Get Up And Get Down! (Philips, 73/74): British comp of soul hits slightly more obscure than your usual K-Tel fare: Annette Snell "You Oughta Be Here With Me", Aaron Neville "Hercules", Etta James "Out On The Streets Again", etc.
    Ellis Hall, Jr. "Back It Up (Try It Again)" (HCRC, 1982)...Houston-based boogie funk.
    Donald Byrd "Electric Byrd" (Blue Note)
    Corazon Salvaje: Soundtrack to a Mexican soap opera circa 1977. I haven't gave it a good listen, but it is probably turd-y all the way through.
    Cheap, minty dollar bin upgrade of the first Tower Of Power LP
    Schoolhouse Funk 2 comp

• A late sunday entry. An audiophile friend happened to have a box of 45s. I took a stack, and a fistful of 'black classical music' and . . . stevie wonder singles, yep.

Willie Frugal with the Modeleste science. On the red clay, I'd listen to that set of records from start to finish. But I'd ruin the Michael Hurley record by repeatedly yelling "Michael Hurley for President!" Props to Dave's Records for that crisp Mulatu. Mini has the nice boogie. I tried to sideline an old lady who was leaving a tag sale with that Eddie Hazel record, but she wasn't having any of my shenanigans.

• Never started one of these before

Garage sale today:

That Bernard Wright is the shit

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    That Bernard Wright is the shit

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

that ronnie laws is fire

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    that ronnie laws is fire

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

that ronnie laws is fire
    Which one?