Remember when Rock-Hip hop was next big thing?

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I remember back in the early-mid 90s when it seemed like the media was certain that rock-hip hop fusion was going to be the next big thing. Of course you had Run DMC and Aerosmith a little earlier, but it seemed like right in this time frame that it was poised to blow up.And it didn't.I'm glad, I thought the shit sucked for the most part. And I still do (cough Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit).Looking back it seems more like the push was simply an easier way to pick more white kid pockets than actually an organic artistic movement, but hey, whatever.Any thoughts?Anybody remember the Judgment Night soundtrack with all of the songs being a collaboration between hip hop and rock/metal artists?I didn't like most of them but I did like Fallin' - although it really appears Teenage Fanclub did nothing more than what hook-only singers do today:

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts
    i seen hELMET back in the day and they did the Just another Victim track sans House of Pain...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

A TISM plate? hehehehe I can picture them dudes driving this car....

For the recrod I hate Fred Durst and all his little clones. i was at the BDO the day the girl died in their mosh pit.

I lost count of how many fuckwits with red NY hats we had to put in check that day. I hope fred Durst gets squashed to death by all his teeny bop try hard fans one day.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    i seen hELMET back in the day and they did the Just another Victim track sans House of Pain...

helmet was dope.

• minimini 879 Posts

couldn??t find better quality video

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Rock Hip Hop = She Watch Channel Zero....still Hip Hop

Hip Hop Rock = Caucasoids w/ their hat backwards that try to mc over garage band trash. Not even Hip Hop at all. Rock on its last legs finally giving in to influences they denied for 15 years.

I really dont think it was a genre that ever really gelled.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Damn, you guys sound old.

Shit did blow up, and was the Next Big Thing for at least a few years. Sure, it was horrible. But it dominated the radio, TV and charts for a while.

And, rock is on its last legs? Because you don't like it, it's somehow dying?

I was flipping radio stations a few weeks ago, on a road trip to the Detroit Electronic Music Festival of all places, and caught a song by Linkin Park; sounds like they went adult contemporary.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Shit did blow up, and was the Next Big Thing for at least a few years.

I have no recollection of this.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I generally can't stand cross-over music - better in concept that execution, but hardly. Why does everything have to part of something else?

Let's just keep figuring out new marketing schemes and ways to homogenize things!!

Blech.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Already had my fill via Schoolly D before the 90's even kicked in.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I assume the reference is the late 90s popularity and radio dominance of Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Korn, P.O.D, Papa Roach,et al. There was a time when turning on Rock/Alternative radio meant hearing rock-rap, rap-metal, what have you. I am sure in many desert communities in the SW, as in cornfield towns in Iowa, this sound is probably still big with kids.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    remeber when the rock was a big thing and he made hiphop

Sure, it was horrible. But it dominated the radio, TV and charts for a while.

Examples pleez?

What Radio stations?

I did see some videos but "dominate" - means it was the only thing u saw.

Charts?

• BREAD-WINNERZ!!!!!!!!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    ahahaha "so what you wanna do" line was perfect

side note:
    Song parody comedy format (one of my least favorites) can still be funny.
    as can Canadians...
    wow.
    good vid!

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts

Examples pleez?

What Radio stations?

Charts?

This was all that used to play on your local "alternative" rock station, aka the station in between the all-Beatles oldies jams station and the all Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd station. The same station that now plays nonstop Fall Out Boy/Nickelback/metalcore. Have people really forcibly erased this time period from their memories? (And if so, how?-plz to share)

Examples pleez?

What Radio stations?

Charts?

This was all that used to play on your local "alternative" rock station, aka the station in between the all-Beatles oldies jams station and the all Led Zeppelin/Pink Floyd station. The same station that now plays nonstop Fall Out Boy/Nickelback/metalcore. Have people really forcibly erased this time period from their memories? (And if so, how?-plz to share)

I had co-workers that listened to those "alt" stations and I dont recall The Rapp-Rock being pumped ALL DAY.

Right, well there was various other crap being played in the aforementioned Nickelback/Creed vein. These bands are somehow still popular and releveant, eg Nickelback and 3 Doors Down. There was also the "darker" sound of such musical visionaries as Godsmack and Puddle of Mudd. Though Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Linkin Park, etc. etc. did take up a majority of programming. Though as I'm perusing some old charts I forgot the power of POP music in general during this time period; I guess you could say before the records sales crash.

http://top40.about.com/od/top10lists/tp/1999top10.htm

^ some big hits there, so I guess rockCrap could've passed you by.

However, here's an excerpt from the Korn wikipedia entry about their 1998 album "Follow the Leader" with some of the factistics you requested:

"The album was a complete success, debuting at #1 on Billboard with 268,000 copies sold,[12] and spawning the singles "Got the Life" and "Freak on a Leash". They both exposed Korn to a wider, mainstream audience, with the music videos being mainstays on MTV's Total Request Live. "Got the Life" was the show's very first "retired" video, with "Freak on a Leash" reaching that same success months later.[13] The singles also fared well on Billboard, with "Freak on a Leash" peaking in the top 10 of both Mainstream Rock and Modern Rock, the latter of which it spent 27 weeks on???more than any other Korn single to date.[14]

"Freak on a Leash" won a Grammy for Best Music Video, Short Form, and received a nomination for Best Hard Rock Performance.[15] The video also earned nine MTV Video Music Awards nominations for Video of the Year, Best Rock Video, Breakthrough Video, Best Direction, Best Special Effects, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, Best Editing, and Viewer's Choice.[16] It eventually won two, for Best Rock Video and Best Editing. Follow the Leader is the band's most commercially-successful album, being certified 5x Platinum by the RIAA and having sold almost ten million copies worldwide."

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

I assume the reference is the late 90s popularity and radio dominance of Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock, Korn, P.O.D, Papa Roach,et al. There was a time when turning on Rock/Alternative radio meant hearing rock-rap, rap-metal, what have you. I am sure in many desert communities in the SW, as in cornfield towns in Iowa, this sound is probably still big with kids.

Good point on that one.

And that would probably be outside the daily track list of your average strutter.

I'd forgotten about this. I remember all the hype and then picking this up when I was in elementary school and being majorly disappointed. I was like... what's with all the f*cking rock music...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I always avoided that one rock guitar song Ice-T/NWA/EPMD would put on their albums...

just one more reason to hate Aerosmith.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Thou doth protest too much - weren't you the dude who PM'd me several years ago saying "I expected to hate Jigga's collabo with Lincoln Park, but I think it might be even better than his live album with The Roots."

Thou doth protest too much - you were the dude who PM'd me several years ago saying "I expected to hate Jigga's collabo with Lincoln Park, but I think it might be even better than his live album with The Roots."

^^^^^OWNS THREE DIFFERENT WHITE LABEL LINKIN' PARK/DILATED PEOPLES COLLAB 12"S; CLASPED THEM TO HIS CHEST IN RESPONSE TO MY JOKING REQUEST TO PURCHASE ONE; WAS HEARD TO STATE "I COULD NEVER SELL MY BABIES"

Seriously, I think the one noz is pretty into this stuff.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think if you listened to strictly rapp radio you were kinda isolated from this. Alternative station listeners may have had different experiences....

Thou doth protest too much - weren't you the dude who PM'd me several years ago saying "I expected to hate Jigga's collabo with Lincoln Park, but I think it might be even better than his live album with The Roots. [/b]"

That is the most blasphemous shit I have ever heard.

• Sure, it was horrible. But it dominated the radio, TV and charts for a while.

Examples pleez?

What Radio stations?

Charts?

I had co-workers that listened to those "alt" stations and I dont recall The Rapp-Rock being pumped ALL DAY.

Were they cuacasoids???

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Thou doth protest too much - weren't you the dude who PM'd me several years ago saying "I expected to hate Jigga's collabo with Lincoln Park, but I think it might be even better than his live album with The Roots. [/b]"

That is the most blasphemous shit I have ever heard.

I am saying!

Faux_Rillz needs to answer to this charge, rather than trying to distract the crowd with references to my superior limited edition white vinyl game.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I had a friend who had that Jay and Linkin Park CD in his car for like a month straight. I had to stop hanging out with him.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I was never into the MTV-driven "revival" of the late 90s and thought that it wasn't really new since hip-hop was rooted with DJs doubling up rock LPs. However, and I'm gutsy enough to admit it, Limp Bizkit's, Incubus', Korn's and Linkin Park's first CDs were rather good.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    BAN x 1000000