Waiting on Ebay Auction Winners to Pay Up

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
WTF is with these people? If I win a record on ebay and I'm sending you funds through paypal within 24 hours MAX. All they have to do is click a couple buttons and you know they have the funds. I don't want to hit the post office more than once and this shit is holding up my game.

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i feel your pain dude. even the japanese have been slippin as of late.

peace, stein. . .

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    Times are hard.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    If you don't got the cabbage, step out of the marina.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I consider 3 days acceptable turnaround....longer than that and you're either slackin' or backin' out.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts

This totally sounds like a wu-tang quote

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    I always go by the sellers statements... some say within 7 days, others 10 etc.

But yo its a two way street cus ive had sellers take their sweet f*cking time sending packages as they like to wait to send off a whole bunch of records to other buyers....

I think communication is the key. all you got to do is let the person know whats happening, and its usually sweet.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Okay Pointman, I've held it back pretty well until now, but, now I have to know... from whence came your avatar of a guy riding an alligator to battle through the sky?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

So, wait - you're saying if the auction says "Payment expected within 7 days" you
    just wait 7 days to send payment? I don't understand anyone not paying within 24
    hours. And generally if someone hasn't paid within 24 hours, there ends up being
    a problem.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    whats worse is that sellers don't even send your records,
    and you have to wait and wait. then you put a complaint into eBay and you get your refund. yes i got my refund but i didn't get the record i wanted and i did not get any email indicating that the record hadnt been sent any way...

end rant

So, wait - you're saying if the auction says "Payment expected within 7 days" you
    just wait 7 days to send payment? I don't understand anyone not paying within 24
    hours. And generally if someone hasn't paid within 24 hours, there ends up being
    a problem.

Firstly, if dudes want the money in 24hrs they should state it, if you site says up to 7 days, then why would I not follow that? I mean why would a seller place that on their site if it is going to be an issue?

Secondly, even if I pay immediately (which I do sometimes) it still takes a couple of days for the money to get thru, especially if Im moving money from my bank account to my paypal- cus sometimes you may have $100 in in, and the purchase winds up being $110- especially with sellers who dont give you an upfront shipping cost.

Thirdly, the way the ebay auction game goes, its hard to make calcuations on the end cost. I dont know about other ppl here, but I aint rich nor do i have savings (and if I did I wouldnt use them to buy records).
    I get paid fortnightly, plus also get expenses re inbursed and occasional cheques for odd work, but generally I work on a 14 day cycle.

i always check the payment deadline before I bid and calculate cost/time etc in accordance with money I have coming in...eg If im getting paid in 4 days, I know I can make the payment before the 7 day limit.

You can check my ebay (dirtboxking) feedback though... Im a good buyer. The one time I had a F*ck up with the bank, beyond my control I made sure I let the sellers know asap.

But like I said, its a two way street.

• Times are hard.
    Then why would you bother bidding? Doesn't make sense.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I think LokoOne described what's going on. Dudes are using all of their available time. 7-day auction + X days to pay = broke bidding 7+X-1 days prior to payday. Not the best look of course but not violating either. If payment within one day is required then state that in the listing and enforce it--but you could be scaring off some bidders.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

a problem.

Firstly, if dudes want the money in 24hrs they should state it, if you site says up to 7 days, then why would I not follow that? I mean why would a seller place that on their site if it is going to be an issue?

Secondly, even if I pay immediately (which I do sometimes) it still takes a couple of days for the money to get thru, especially if Im moving money from my bank account to my paypal- cus sometimes you may have $100 in in, and the purchase winds up being $110- especially with sellers who dont give you an upfront shipping cost.

Thirdly, the way the ebay auction game goes, its hard to make calcuations on the end cost. I dont know about other ppl here, but I aint rich nor do i have savings (and if I did I wouldnt use them to buy records).
    I get paid fortnightly, plus also get expenses re inbursed and occasional cheques for odd work, but generally I work on a 14 day cycle.

i always check the payment deadline before I bid and calculate cost/time etc in accordance with money I have coming in...eg If im getting paid in 4 days, I know I can make the payment before the 7 day limit.

You can check my ebay (dirtboxking) feedback though... Im a good buyer. The one time I had a F*ck up with the bank, beyond my control I made sure I let the sellers know asap.

This makes little sense to me, the only delay is if the seller doesn't automatically provide a total for shipping to your area. In that case just click the "request invoice/total from seller" & they will send it usually within the next 48 hours. There is never any delay with paypal getting money from my Visa. If I win an auction I pay up as asap, I want that record!! I think you need to get a Visa attatched to your paypal & use that instead. Paypal + bank account is to me. It really irks me when buyers can't get their shit straight to pony up with the $$$ straight after the auction, it's only an extra mouse click or two & you're at paypal from the end of auction page. On the 7th day, if I haven't seen the money I open a case straight away with ebay to try & get the seller motivated. 7 days later if they don't respond I'll sell it to the underbidder. I don't have anything stating the number of days a buyer has to pay in on my auction. I might change it to 24 hours now though

• If I bid on something on, let's say, a Friday evening, I may not be back around a computer until Sunday evening/Monday morning.

Also, if I really want a pricey record and I won't have the money until payday, I'll hit the seller up to make sure it's cool. They generally are, but if they're not, I don't bid.

a problem.

This makes little sense to me, the only delay is if the seller doesn't automatically provide a total for shipping to your area. In that case just click the "request invoice/total from seller" & they will send it usually within the next 48 hours. There is never any delay with paypal getting money from my Visa. If I win an auction I pay up as asap, I want that record!! I think you need to get a Visa attatched to your paypal & use that instead. Paypal + bank account is
    to me. It really irks me when buyers can't get their shit straight to pony up with the $$$ straight after the auction, it's only an extra mouse click or two & you're at paypal from the end of auction page. On the 7th day, if I haven't seen the money I open a case straight away with ebay to try & get the seller motivated. 7 days later if they don't respond I'll sell it to the underbidder. I don't have anything stating the number of days a buyer has to pay in on my auction. I might change it to 24 hours now though

Dudes we are talking about 'bidding' here, lots of variables, unpredicatable and also involving raer pieces that lots of ppl been hunting down for years. So what am i supposed to leave $1000 in my paypal before I bid on anything?

I stopped transfering funds into paypal cus it caused me some dramas with the bank, plus its actually quicker if paypal direct debits from my bank account. Even if the money is in my paypal account and I pay instantly it still takes more than 24/48hrs sometimes (I can pull up my paypal record for you to see)

i dont feel comfortable having too much money in paypal or using credit cards online (plus i dont qualify for one anyways, Im too poor and spend too much money on records ;-P

What is wrong with me bidding, and winning a record I really want (and cant find locally which is why i use ebay and buy off ppl like you) when i know I will have the fund to cover the purchase in a few days, and your seller site says payment within 7 days???

Is that a huge crime? Like I said, I always check the payment schedule PRIOR to bidding, I make sure I will have money to cover the purchase before the date...and if a seller says 7 days, then they cant complain if the $$$ comes in on the 7th day.

As for sellers doing multiple shipping...dont front like that doesnt happen, I regularily get msg from sellers saying...'i recieved your money, its been cleared, I will be sending out a bunch on tuesday and will mail yours out then".

Does that mean I can expect EVERY seller to run straight out the house and post my shit as soon as my money clears? Do you do that?

I think Reynaldo sees where Im coming from, and Im just being honest and trying to share my experience from the other side of the fence.

So, Mutual understanding and communication is all thats needed. I wouldnt shit on any buyer because then i would be cutting myself off from a potential source of good records (which are getting hard to find), and Ive dropped big bundles with some sellers, so why would they want to blackball me if for whatever reason I came thru with the money a day or two late (in the real world shit happens sometimes...)

Now if a dude goes beyond the period you stipulate on your store page, then I can understand the grip... and if your so worried about it, tell them they have to pay st8 away (or just do buy it now deals) but I guarantee you your sales will drop.

PS. I also have the problem that I only got internet at work, so the weekend and time difference with the rest of the earth can affect things too...but thats my porblem and I make sure it doesnt become the sellers...

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    okay speaking on ebay bidders not paying. I gave a guy and unpaid item strike for not paying and in return he gave me neg feedback. The main issue i have is that i have a neg for everyone to see and no where on his profile can i see that he's got an unpaid item strike what gives ?

On a positive note a sold a bunch of stuff months ago and totally forgot that the money was in my paypal account. When i copped some records the other day i was very happy to rediscover it.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's sort of a moot point as eBay allows one week before shit can be done anyhow.

All you sellers should start a newsletter warning each other and sharing those bad cases, as the raer record collecting club aint that big....

I was actually thinking of putting up some records for sale on ebay, but couldnt be fucked, seems too much hassle... How bad are the fees? Is it only worth it if your moving mass amounts of wax?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    It used to kinda bug me. I put please pay within 3 days. Now that sales are thin, I just don't think about it. When the payment comes in a week later I have the money. No big deal.

As long as they eventually pay (within 3 weeks) what's the problem? I don't need instant gratification.

Non-paying bidders is a different story.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Okay Pointman, I've held it back pretty well until now, but, now I have to know... from whence came your avatar of a guy riding an alligator to battle through the sky?

F*ck if I know. I found it randomly on the web and I'll be damned if I know what it is or where it came from. I have a sweet Teenwolf avatar I've been waiting a minute to break out next.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    If I bid on something on, let's say, a Friday evening, I may not be back around a computer until Sunday evening/Monday morning.

Also, if I really want a pricey record and I won't have the money until payday, I'll hit the seller up to make sure it's cool. They generally are, but if they're not, I don't bid.

See this sort of thing is all good in my eyes. If folks didn't have the funds right away but emailed me and said payday is right around the corner I'd be all about it.

Really though, for me this shit is about two things, getting paid for my auctions and not making multiple trips to the post office. Satan has a special place in hell for sex offenders where they have to sit in the line at the post office all day.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    Non-paying bidders is a different story.

ugh...especially when theyre all "oh, ill pay friday" and i end up never hearing from them again...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

This totally sounds like a wu-tang quote

Waiting on ebay dudes takes too long, it's like waiting on babies, it makes me wanna slay these-

but that's ungodly, so yo god pardon me.
    I need it real quick...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Not to sound like a dick, but if you gotta wait til payday to pay for records... you probably shouldn't be buying records.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

F*ck if I know. I found it randomly on the web and I'll be damned if I know what it is or where it came from. I have a sweet Teenwolf avatar I've been waiting a minute to break out next.

maybe its from the hard ticket to hawaii movie? it looks familiar.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

a problem.

This makes little sense to me, the only delay is if the seller doesn't automatically provide a total for shipping to your area. In that case just click the "request invoice/total from seller" & they will send it usually within the next 48 hours. There is never any delay with paypal getting money from my Visa. If I win an auction I pay up as asap, I want that record!! I think you need to get a Visa attatched to your paypal & use that instead. Paypal + bank account is
    to me. It really irks me when buyers can't get their shit straight to pony up with the $$$ straight after the auction, it's only an extra mouse click or two & you're at paypal from the end of auction page. On the 7th day, if I haven't seen the money I open a case straight away with ebay to try & get the seller motivated. 7 days later if they don't respond I'll sell it to the underbidder. I don't have anything stating the number of days a buyer has to pay in on my auction. I might change it to 24 hours now though

Dudes we are talking about 'bidding' here, lots of variables, unpredicatable and also involving raer pieces that lots of ppl been hunting down for years.

No, there are no material variables at all. The amount that you bid is not a mystery to you. Don't bid more money than you have. This is kind of like a basic principle of adulthood. Anyone who doesn't understand and subscribe to it should be banned from eBay.

• ddownddown 65 Posts
    okay speaking on ebay bidders not paying. I gave a guy and unpaid item strike for not paying and in return he gave me neg feedback. The main issue i have is that i have a neg for everyone to see and no where on his profile can i see that he's got an unpaid item strike what gives ?

Seriously! What's the point of giving a guy an unpaid item strike if no one can see it? I'm sure you get banned if you get a lot of strikes, but other sellers should be warned.

I've only been selling on & off for about 2 years, but slow payers and non payers are definitely on the rise.

• spexxxspexxx 37 Posts
    Because I needs my vinyl fool!!!

If I bid on something,I've either got the money or its close to payday.Times remain hard.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    No, there are no material variables at all. The amount that you bid is not a mystery to you. Don't bid more money than you have. This is kind of like a basic principle of adulthood. Anyone who doesn't understand and subscribe to it should be banned from eBay.

Tell them why you are cross!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

"Well, gee, I didn't think it was gonna go for that much!"

- Actual email received from buyer