Grateful dead HOT or NOT

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
youngEINSTEIN Said:i know nothing about them. school me.peace, stein. . .

Comments

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Great music, wretched fans. Their fan base ruined any chance of most people respecting them but there are some great songs.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    Great music, wretched fans. Their fan base ruined any chance of most people respecting them but there are some great songs.

which songs are great? thanks.

peace, stein. . .

• Great music, wretched fans. Their fan base ruined any chance of most people respecting them but there are some great songs.

which songs are great? thanks.

peace, stein. . .

Pretty much anything between 1967 and maybe 1975, during which time they played garage punk, psychedelia, country rock, jazz rock, sometimes all at the same time.

• rayray 77 Posts
    Workingman's Dead and American Beauty...
    ...both 1970...both are

"Box of Rain" always makes me think of my father...

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I ride unabashedly, while recognizing their failings (I love Soul on Ice's take on those)...

Point blank, it's a HUGE catalog, but with some digging, there are some serious rewards. The early psychedelic stuff through Pigpen's death has a ton of energy and acid behind it.

Late 70s, like most bands, has a jazzier/disco feel, and is revered by some.

For me, check out the following tunes, in addition to what has been mentioned:

Althea
    Loser
    Morning Dew
    New Speedway Boogie (DARK SHIT)
    Standing on the Moon

The first four are the ones I come back to most; the last one is late, and sappy, but I have a soft spot for it.

They did what they did, and no one else did it. I love their music, respect their work, and recognize that they made some irredeemably awful shit at times. But, other times... FACEMELT

• rayray 77 Posts
    Althea

Go to Heaven, right...? Great song...

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    you need to smoke one pinner, eat one veggie burrito, and brood on the meanings behind "the kids they dance and shake their bones".

that is some seriously heavy shit brah.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Infrared Roses is all you need.

• i know nothing about them.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Wretched music, great fans.
    Their music ruined any chance of most people respecting them, but there are some great fans.

You don't think their fans are great?
    You just dissed everyone who posted in this thread.

Bad things about the Dead:
    The singing
    The "harmony" singing
    Solos without direction or meaning
    2 drummers, no back beat

Good things about the Dead:
    They created community (this is the most unique and important thing about the Dead.)
    They played really long shows
    A handful of good songs, including a few truly great melodies
    They lead many people to some great music by the people who influenced them; Bill Monroe, Otis Redding, Little Feat, Merle Saunders...

The classic joke:
    Q: What did the deadhead say when he ran out of pot?

A: This band sucks.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Great music, wretched fans.

In my mind, I can't separate the two. The latter ruined a Meters show with all their stupid dances.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I am a bigger fan of the garcia and grisham tapes recorded right before jerry died.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I ride unabashedly, while recognizing their failings

As has been stated previously, the earlier records are tits. Add to the list of Workingman's Dead and American Beauty: Anthem of the Sun and Europe '72.

I will even ride for the disco title cut of Shakedown Street.

I listened to so much Grateful Dead as a teenager that when I hear the music, even the most drawn-out, noodle-y jams, it's akin to putting on the most comfortable pair of old jeans. Might not be stylish but it is so comfortable.

I was at an old friend's host last weekend and he put on Dead Set, and had such nice flashbacks with the version of "Franklin's Tower."

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    one of my favorite album covers

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

Their music ruined any chance of most people respecting them, but there are some great fans.

The singing
    The "harmony" singing
    2 drummers, no back beat

They created community (this is the most unique and important thing about the Dead.)
    They lead many people to some great music by the people who influenced them; Bill Monroe, Otis Redding, Little Feat, Merle Saunders...

The classic joke:

Why does it seem from your posts that you consistently comprehend less then 50% of what anyone is saying and then you comment on it and end up saying exactly what they said? You are averaging a D- in reading comprehension.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    They were really a front for a LSD Mafia from their beginning they were funded by Owsley and it was more about the Acid than anything else. Musically there have been better bands but LSD wise they always had the purest liquid. I think with the quality of acid they spread a lot of bands could have had the fame and following they maintained

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'd rather listen to the Allman Brothers

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I'd rather listen to the Chambers Brothers

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'd rather listen to the Jungle Brothers

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Hot to death.

Peace Wu

• ignastyignasty 163 Posts
    NOT

b/w

you need to smoke one pinner, eat one veggie burrito, and brood on the meanings behind "the kids they dance and shake their bones".

that is some seriously heavy shit brah.

b/w

Great music, wretched fans.

In my mind, I can't separate the two. The latter ruined a Meters show with all their stupid dances.

Feelin her elbows and lack of real hippy credentials with teh shaved armpits.

• Options
    I'd rather listen to the Mario Brothers

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I ride for American Beauty. I grew up with it, so I'm biased, but I think it's a very solid folk rock album.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The singing
    The "harmony" singing
    2 drummers, no back beat

The classic joke:

Why does it seem from your posts that you consistently comprehend less then 50% of what anyone is saying and then you comment on it and end up saying exactly what they said? You are averaging a D- in reading comprehension.

I flunked English.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I'd rather listen to the Smothers Brothers