oysters HOT or NOT?

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
youngEINSTEIN Said:never tried em' but hopefully will soon.peace, stein. . .

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Disgusting. I am anti-bivalves as a whole.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I used to like smoked oysters before I went vegetarian.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I love oysters, raw especially.

I spend about half the year in Wellfleet, home of some of world's finest. I get a residents shellfish permit every year, saves me lots of $$$.

• Fried yes, raw no, though I like clams both ways.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    This thread is an embarrassment at the moment.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Fried yes, raw yes

I make a mean oyster po boy. Remember only eat them in months with an R.

Why?

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I had the best oysters of my life fresh out of the water on the beach in mexico in october. Other times, not so much. Seems like freshness is the key.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

Why?

A bunch of "no's" "not yet" and "vegetarian".

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    oyesters are gross.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I love oysters, raw especially.

I spend about half the year in Wellfleet, home of some of world's finest. I get a residents shellfish permit every year, saves me lots of $$$.

Being from a lobsterman family in Plymouth, I'm all about the shellfish.

Hey DB Cooper, what was that osyter/shrimp combo, aptly titled the DB Cooper you were telling me about again?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Oysters on the half-shell with a lemon wedge would be my last-meal of choic. Half West Coast Kumamotos, half Wellfleet from the east. With a glass of dry white wine.

• I had a dozen raw today at lunch, so yes. As often as I can.

About once a week really, maybe my favorite food-

People hate on the nastiness of the gulf ones, but really I could care less.

Moving to the South has made it much easier to get down regularly.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    Oysters on the half-shell with a lemon wedge would be my last-meal of choic. Half West Coast Kumamotos, half Wellfleet from the east. With a glass of dry white wine.

wow. that's one hell of an endorsement!

peace, stein. . .

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    LOVE oysters!!!!!

Here is the best way to eat oysters....

Nama Gaki!!!!!

• fried oysters and scrambled eggs is the breakfast

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Love em...raw, fried in a po-boy, in gumbo, in oyster stuffing, etc. The more the merrier!

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    raw with a little bit of lemon and a good wine.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    Hey! I did this thread a while back and there were even pictures of hot ninja chicks in it and all!! At least i think that was the one!!
    *od, i cant believe you are finally contemplating trying them now!!

Every October here in Wellfleet is Oysterfest. You get the idea - thousands and thousands of Oysters, raw and cooked every conceivable way. Other good food as well, beer, music, crafts and a shucking contest.

Highly recommended. It started only five or six years ago, but it is already a big deal, 20,000 people came last year.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    raw with a little bit of lemon and a good white wine.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

charbroiled - :getonmylevel:

horseleech - can't believe i didn't make the screen-name connection until now!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Hey DB Cooper, what was that osyter/shrimp combo, aptly titled the DB Cooper you were telling me about again?

The DB_Cooper:

One raw oyster with a bit of lemon juice fresh squeezed. Add one cocktail shrimp, cooked, on top. Douse with red pepper-infused apple cider vinegar. Apply a small amount of horseradish to the pointed end of the tear drop-shaped oyster shell. Bottoms up from the round end so the horseradish slides in last.

So good.

Are you familiar with this part of the world?

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts
    I kinda like to eat 'em... and it's Bluff Oyster season here now so there are plenty about. More importantly, my Lady LOVES them - and when mixed with some very cold, very dry Champagne (Pol Roger - shit yeah) ... well, when ever I get her some, I get some. On that level I love an Oyster.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

my cousins used to spend the summer in Truro at their great-aunt's hause and I would take a month to babysit them while my uncle was working in NYC (usually July). this is when they were 5 & 7 through 8 & 10. good times - i would just sit on the beach and read while they played in the water. they're good kids - barely had any problems to deal with at all. wouldn't pay for a thing the whole time and uncle would cut me a check at the end.

LOVE that part of the world. we'd go to horseleech and slough, but corn hill was our hood. oh, and there were wild blueberry bushes at the house. dear lord...

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Oysters anyway anyhow.
    Down home, it's raw on the half shell with some lemon cocktail sauce and a dab of tabasco.

There's a great place in Paris that does nothing but wine & oysters. Place is like heaven.

• djJazzOnedjJazzOne 302 Posts
    I think fried oysters are my fav food.
    I just got back from South Padre Island yesterday. I think I ate fried oysters for every meal but breakfast.
    I ate so many oysters I was pooping pearls.

• boodooboodoo 28 Posts
    Cannot be better than Beaufort County South Carolina. Salty Clusters...an oyster festival would ruin a good thang. how ho is dat?

no.

the only worry is vibrio vulnificus: an immunocompromised individual could be affected, but it won't last long. in just two short days, your arms and legs will fall off after being devoured by flesh eating bacteria.

my cousins used to spend the summer in Truro at their great-aunt's hause and I would take a month to babysit them while my uncle was working in NYC (usually July). this is when they were 5 & 7 through 8 & 10. good times - i would just sit on the beach and read while they played in the water. they're good kids - barely had any problems to deal with at all. wouldn't pay for a thing the whole time and uncle would cut me a check at the end.

LOVE that part of the world. we'd go to horseleech and slough, but corn hill was our hood. oh, and there were wild blueberry bushes at the house. dear lord...

Beautiful sunsets from Corn Hill. Those sound like good times.

The ponds are some of my favorite places. I was just at Horseleech earlier w/ the dog. Parked in the woods, walked by the ponds and out to the beach. Threw the frisbee to her for an hour and a half and barely saw another person.

I planted Blueberry bushes in my yard two years ago and they're just starting to
    put out for real this year. I think it would be possible to live on Blueberries and Oysters alone.