favorite MUPPET

2»

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    BEAKER

peace, stein. . .

Ok..... so I'm 10 years old. I'm at a Japanese restaurant with my Dad. I notice a guy across the way give the waitress a photograph with all these Muppets on it (this is in 1982, and the Muppet Show is HUGE). I ask my Dad "Hey Dad....do you think that man is with the Muppets?", to which Pops replies "I don't know....why don't you go ask him?"

So, I walk up and introduce myself and ask if he is a part of the Muppets. He replies "I sure am...do you watch the show?" Obviously I reply that I do. I ask "What characters do you do?" "Wellllll.." he replies, "I do Beaker, Stadler, Janice from the Electric Mayhem, Tiny, Scooter...." and I immediately interrupt him and say "Scooter.... he does my favorite song !! " I then proceed to sing:

"There's a new sound, the newest sound around, the newest sound that's made by WORMS..." I end up doing the whole song.

He and his friend break into peels of laughter, and are quite taken with me. He introduces himself as Richard Hunt, and invites my Dad over to share the table. After a bunch of talking and Richard asking me tons of questions, we are invited to go to a taping of a Miss Piggy special they are working on in Toronto at the time the very next night.

Fast Forward to the following day.

I get to go to the studios and watch Richard, Frank Oz, Henson and a huge cast of Muppeteers work on a few scenes, and generally get to experience the full Muppet behind the Scenes.

Henson was just so damn cool. After they were finished he invites me over to his work desk, and even at that age I can see he is just exhausted. Still.... dude has a 8x10 glossy photograph of him and all his Characters, and while asking me what I liked about the show begins to Autograph EACH and EVERY characters signature, all unique and completely cool. At one point he asks "So what do you think about Fraggle Rock?" I reply the way only a kid can do "Ehhhh, I don't really like it". He laughs so hard.....as who else would say this to his face but a 10 year old. He then asks in what way would I improve it? We talk for a while, and he was just so very cool with me.

Before I go, Richard calls me over, and we take tons of pictures with him and myself and Beaker as well. He has Beaker on his hand, and has brought him to life. Honestly everyone....Beaker felt so alive and right in my face. There are shots of all three of us, with me in the middle, just smiling and carrying on.

I will NEVER forget that day, and it is definitely one of the reasons that I turned out pretty good in life. When creative, interesting and kind people give that sort of time to a kid, you're just changed forever for the best.

When Henson died a few years later I was just so sad.
    When Richard Hunt died I just cried like a baby.

Thanks so much to them both. Two of the very best people one could ever meet.

awesome story dude! thanks for sharing that.

peace, stein. . .

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    BEAKER

peace, stein. . .

Ok..... so I'm 10 years old. I'm at a Japanese restaurant with my Dad. I notice a guy across the way give the waitress a photograph with all these Muppets on it (this is in 1982, and the Muppet Show is HUGE). I ask my Dad "Hey Dad....do you think that man is with the Muppets?", to which Pops replies "I don't know....why don't you go ask him?"

So, I walk up and introduce myself and ask if he is a part of the Muppets. He replies "I sure am...do you watch the show?" Obviously I reply that I do. I ask "What characters do you do?" "Wellllll.." he replies, "I do Beaker, Stadler, Janice from the Electric Mayhem, Tiny, Scooter...." and I immediately interrupt him and say "Scooter.... he does my favorite song !! " I then proceed to sing:

"There's a new sound, the newest sound around, the newest sound that's made by WORMS..." I end up doing the whole song.

He and his friend break into peels of laughter, and are quite taken with me. He introduces himself as Richard Hunt, and invites my Dad over to share the table. After a bunch of talking and Richard asking me tons of questions, we are invited to go to a taping of a Miss Piggy special they are working on in Toronto at the time the very next night.

I get to go to the studios and watch Richard, Frank Oz, Henson and a huge cast of Muppeteers work on a few scenes, and generally get to experience the full Muppet behind the Scenes.

Henson was just so damn cool. After they were finished he invites me over to his work desk, and even at that age I can see he is just exhausted. Still.... dude has a 8x10 glossy photograph of him and all his Characters, and while asking me what I liked about the show begins to Autograph EACH and EVERY characters signature, all unique and completely cool. At one point he asks "So what do you think about Fraggle Rock?" I reply the way only a kid can do "Ehhhh, I don't really like it". He laughs so hard.....as who else would say this to his face but a 10 year old. He then asks in what way would I improve it? We talk for a while, and he was just so very cool with me.

Before I go, Richard calls me over, and we take tons of pictures with him and myself and Beaker as well. He has Beaker on his hand, and has brought him to life. Honestly everyone....Beaker felt so alive and right in my face. There are shots of all three of us, with me in the middle, just smiling and carrying on.

I will NEVER forget that day, and it is definitely one of the reasons that I turned out pretty good in life. When creative, interesting and kind people give that sort of time to a kid, you're just changed forever for the best.

awesome story dude! thanks for sharing that.

peace, stein. . .

5 star story! i'd love to see any pix you have from your encounter. that's a day you'd never ever forget.
    i remember being stoked on seeing a bootleg big bird at a company party as a kid...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    BEAKER

peace, stein. . .

That is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing that... that would've been incredible to experience.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I'm glad to see that Janice has made a comeback on VH1.

- spidey

Why would you insult Janice like that...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Stein,

I gotta say it's this guy:

I'm a drummer, what can I say? I also enjoyed the old guys in the balcony. They were hilarious.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'll go with animal. I liked this dude too.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Grover was always my favorite when I was a kid.

Missed this episode back then but how great is THIS:

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    BEAKER

peace, stein. . .

Ok..... so I'm 10 years old...

That is an amazing story. Thanks for sharing that... that would've been incredible to experience.

cosine. if i had pictures of myself with Beaker, i would STILL be reppin that shit! amazing.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm glad to see that Janice has made a comeback on VH1.

- spidey

That's who New York reminds me of. Thank you.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I could not pick just one. But the Queen from TMS used scare the shit out of me.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

SAYAH!

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I think I gotta ride for Zoot too. Or whatever his name is. My other favorites are all members of the Electric Mayhem.

If I had to pick a non-EM muppet as my favorite, I might have to go with Rowlf.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I'll bug my pops to dig out the photos of me, Beaker and Richard. So glad that you all enjoyed the story. I wish that experience on anyone I've ever met.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    BEAKER

peace, stein. . .

Ok..... so I'm 10 years old...

cosine. if i had pictures of myself with Beaker, i would STILL be reppin that shit! amazing.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts

• chasechase 767 Posts
    always my dude...

• chasechase 767 Posts

I'll bug my pops to dig out the photos of me, Beaker and Richard. So glad that you all enjoyed the story. I wish that experience on anyone I've ever met.

peace, stein. . .

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Four pages and no love? I guess it really ain't easy being green.

• zlatorogzlatorog 66 Posts

• Check him at right about 00:40.. hahahaha!

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

which is your fav?

peace, stein. . .

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Not my favorite, but this guy is the shit. I used to always go "Shhh! Riiiiiiight" to people in conversation and they would never get the joke. Not even my brother and sister, who would watch "Would you like to buy an O?" with me and shit.