People copying your want list

Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I don't mind sharing my want list with music lovers and people who have similar taste in music, but I heard this one dude copied my list and I'm mad, tell you why. See, I'm back home in PR for the rest of the summer, and here the record market is really dead, I mean, there hardly is a market. In December I met this guy at a hoarder's house who was asking me about the music I liked, and was really pressing the subject. I started to talk to him and told him about record labels I check for. I asked him how long he had been collecting records and if he was a dealer, and he told me that he was a sports memorabilia dealer, who was just getting into selling records, but that he himself didn't really care all that much about music. I was like whatever, I'm sure he'll get bored of the game. Anyways I got here last week and went to the house of this dude I trade records with, and he told me that dude has been at it, and that he had gotten a hold of my want list. I thought it was shitty and then he tells me that this dude has put out ads asking for collections, and then shows up to people's houses, tells them that he can't buy all of it, and proceeds to cherry pick the collections based on my, and two or three other want lists. He has also been fucking people over buying collections for close to nothing (one example he bought the collection of an old radio dj, about 4,000 LP's for $1000, and it was full of rare). These records he is putting into storage, because he believes that in a few years they will dry up and he'll be able to make a killing. I know all this because he has employed the hoarder to help him organize his storage space and to give him knowledge, the hoarder is also the guy who gave him a copy of my want list. I know this is all part of the record game and I can't really hate on his hustle, but I'm mad. I want to tarnish his name or get into buying collections and beat him to stuff, but I'm only gonna be here until September, and I don't have the scrilla to be buying collections really. I don't know. I know I'm gonna run into him and I feel like punching him in the face, but I don't want to get into all that, after all he is 42 and I'm 25 and a father and all that. I don't know, I guess I just need to vent. What do you guys think of all this? Advice on how to deal with shit like this? Plaese to not post jpegs, I'm on dialup on this forsaken island.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    you got played... chalk it up as experience, learn from it, and move on with your life...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    your want list = guzzo's record list

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    I dont think you should have that much to be concerned about,since there's just one particular individual doing this,just get your friend to give him a false list,send him into a totally different direction.I sympathize though,Jamaica is very slim pickings too.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    you got played... chalk it up as experience, learn from it, and move on with your life...

I don't give lists to anyone no matter what. Unless they are a mojor seller with a huge backstock they are willing to check for me. Even then, they should have the master list for me to check against. A few stores know me now and I don't want to give them the heads up on what they can rake me over the coals for.

Not your fault, but you got played and those 2 chumps are fuckers who will burn in the Sayer ring of the Buddhist hell wheel. Where fire licks your open wounds while Sunshine Superman plays over and over.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    don't sweat it dude. He prolly woulda bought them collections anyways, whether the records in your wantlist were in there or not. Lots of big dudes have their wantlists out there for all to see.

• When I need a certain record, I'll disclose it readily only if it's a piece that is known on the circuit... never something that is still fairly unknown - I'm sure that's how a fair number of folks on this board operate.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i had someone literally copy my want list via copy machine.

what happened was.........we where planning this diggin trip, like 4 hours away, but the night before we where leaving i got maaaaaaaaaaad sick and didnt sleep for more then an hour. So anyways i figured id rough it out, make this four hour trip with this cat i know and dig anyways, sick or not. So i pick up dude at like 6 am, he drives my car for the 4 hours cause i had no sleep the night before. We make it to this diggin spot, huge spot by the way, and im way too sick and non-rested to be diggin. Had a horrible cold, the dust of the records made it much worse, i just straight up felt like shit. Anyways, i had peoples i could stay with and so did the guy who came with me, and after like 30 minutes of diggin sick i had to go and just sleep at someones crib.
    so im telling this guy i gotta leave cause im way too sick and need to rest, and dudes like "let me see your list real quick", fuck it, so i showed it to him and immediately asks the store owner to use their copy machine, and copied my printed list. fuckin wack, but i wasnt gonna argue in front of the store people plus i was mad sick.

yeah that shit aint cool, or maybe im just trippin

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    share information, but theres no need to let people see your whole shit if you are the type who writes shit down. i used to jot notes and filled a book with titles, names, business cards, #s....thats my fucking captains log, no shiphands need to be poking through that.
    btw, overseas people sending me their wantlists has led me to a lot of stuff i didnt know about. so i cant hate on the scaevenging of information. back before internet days, wantlists were like cryptic seascrolls that helped you decipher ill archaeological sites. that was like a treasure map.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    yeah, word, you're right. The list didn't have everything I want, nor was there anything on that list that no one else isn't up on, and I can't say that I haven't learned from seeing other people's want lists. I'm just mad because hoarder, who I thought was dude, gave greedy money dude the list. Not a good look, as they say, but I guess business is business. Fuck it, like the dude Jack Handy says "If your keys fall into a pit of molten lava let them go, 'cause man, they're gone."

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dope jack handy quote. avoid that lava
    could it be worse than getting a liveconvention1981 for $20 at your regular store and then your boy (coughd*plocough) going in the next day and asking if they had more of the $400 record they just sold for $20 to t*ny.
    every time i try to buy something from that guy now, he scrutinizes the records and asks "is this going for a lot of money these days?" +

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Now that REALLY is messed up

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    as they say, ... I guess business is business.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I keep my want list where nobody can see it:

It fails me sometimes ("what was I looking for again?") but I can't see myself carrying around a sheet of paper to guide my record digging...things I am actively looking for to listen to change by the week anyway.

I do have a list I made once and occasionally update of raer 45's by popular artists, ie the one Joe Tex 45 that uk collectors pay $200 for, but I never think to bring it anywhere with me, and just hope that I can remember when I see the $180 Dee Dee Sharp 45 that it is "the one."

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    The only list I take in paper form is what 45s I have already so I don't double up anymore. I hate that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    your want list = guzzo's record list

sayin

You ever notice I only post records I already have?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    back before internet days, wantlists were like cryptic seascrolls that helped you decipher ill archaeological sites. that was like a treasure map.

fast or slow. information has changed. life is too fast sometimes. i'm still scribbles and notes. folks will always share with one another, even if in small part. that is what this site is about. (although i have never posted a want list nor ever truly kept one, despite trying).

Vega- new roads will open. i'd be a bit ticked for a second too, but the record game is that game. keep at it with the mind for the music and what it brings to you at any rate of acquisition.

and then trade me these "rares" you speak of.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    and where is everybody's PDA?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    right here homie

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Yo man, you wanna keep you wants list in a lock box.

I'd say the best rule is to only share info about wanted raers once you've already copped them if they maen that much to ya.

But I do feel bad for you about that dude. Maybe you should ask him straight up what he's playing at and to please stop biting on your wants.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yall act like you all aren't looking for the same 20 records

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

I dont get this thread, whats the big deal. SOunds like the guy is a sly, maybe somewhat shady, hustler.

[drphil]Maybe you're just pissed off that you didn't buy that radioDJ's collection, huh? [/drphil]

I say, let everbody see your wantslist. They might have something you want!

If I had one, I'd post it right here, right now.
    But since I dont, imma shut up and go feed my ducks.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Yall act like you all aren't looking for the same 20 records

ZING!

"oh man do you have that naigra falls record with the titties on it??"

i hope y'all arent whippin those lists out IN THE STORES man... you may as well wear a shirt that says "RIP ME OFF"

i used to love it when a dude would come in the shop with lists of stuff... dudes are always so eager beaver "uhhhh you got any more records in the back"

so you go in the back and pickup a couple boxes of dollar bin overstock (no prices on em) and tell them "oh we just got these in"

dudes would EAGERLY buy dollar bin stuff for 5 - 10 bones when the same record was sitting in the actual dollar bin (which they would rarely ever go through)

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    just get your friend to give him a false list,send him into a totally different direction.

yeah, put him up on some Sayer raer, etc

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    ....thats my fucking captains log, no shiphands need to be poking through that.