Funk version of "Hoochie Coochie Man?"

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
I heard this somewhere (I'm not telling) and it's killer. Any ideas what it is?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

The title for the Muddy Waters/Willie Dixion song is Mannish Boy I think.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Different song.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Two different songs I think although "HCM" uses the same riff from "MB" but it has different lyrics "The gypsy woman told my mother, Before I was born, I got a boy child's comin', He's gonna be a son of a gun" etc...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah man that's it. f*cking ill.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nothing to do with nothing, but there's a late-seventies version of "H.C. Man" which sounds about like all the other versions you've heard...then halfway through, the band busts out with this blazing tempo, while the singer ad-libs something like "you see I'm here...gonna do the disco, you know I'm here"...as much as I hate disco, I love when blues guys attempt to cash in...their idea of 1979 disco sounded like a 1971 private-press funk record, and I mean that as a compliment...

(By the way, this record I'm talking about is called "I'm Here [Hoochie Coochie Man]" and is by B.J. King. On the Cynthia label.)

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    that Skip Easterling is a great 45, pretty cheap too I think last time I checked.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I'm a fan. Haven't scored the 45 yet.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I found out about this from one of those cheap Bandy comps. I looked it up and saw that Craig Moerer had copies for $5 so I went over to pick one up. When I got there he hands me the record and says, "You know this is a really good price for this. It's going to $20 tomorrow" like I was stealing from him. You'd think he wouldn't care about something like that. Dude is kinda deep though.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I like!

I found out about this from one of those cheap Bandy comps. I looked it up and saw that Craig Moerer had copies for $5 so I went over to pick one up. When I got there he hands me the record and says, "You know this is a really good price for this. It's going to $20 tomorrow" like I was stealing from him. You'd think he wouldn't care about something like that. Dude is kinda deep though.

$20 is a really good price, they are $25 now.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

$20 is a really good price, they are $25 now.

Love You, New Orleans is the comp. Just picked up a $1 copy a couple weeks ago. Best part is it's also got David Batiste's Funky Soul Pt. 1 on there (and plenty of other good cuts as well)

Also-at the end of April I actually saw Skip Easterling perform Hoochie Koochie Man at the Ponderosa Stomp. Pretty cool - nowhere nearly as good as the record. Poor Skip - it was part of this medley of NOLA classics, and after the song (about 3 minutes) they tried to shoo him backstage. Dude came out to thank him and announce the next performer and Skip just sat there. The announcer (Dr. Ike, the guy in charge of the whole shebang) was even more awkward than he is normally, and eventually just let Skip sit in for the next song - I wanna say Tony Owens' Soul Soul Soul but don't really remember. PS Skip's a stocky white dude, which you can't really tell from the recording

Last thing. The one song during that NOLA medley that was actually really exciting and got the crowd really into it? David Batiste performing Funky Soul.

• Those Bandy comps are great, anyone know of a full label discography? I posted most of the ones that are on discogs.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Those Bandy comps are great, anyone know of a full label discography? I posted most of the ones that are on discogs.

Where did you post them?

Those Bandy comps are great, anyone know of a full label discography? I posted most of the ones that are on discogs.

They are great. I can't believe I have never had this one.

They don't turn up much around here.
    Are they common in NOLA?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

They are great. I can't believe I have never had this one.

They don't turn up much around here.
    Are they common in NOLA?

In the 1980's, Bandy compilations used to turn up all the time in Chicago, along with other regional Southern labels like Jin and Goldband. And I'm talking brand-new and factory sealed.

Then came the nineties.

I'm guessing that Bandy never switched to CD's, because I've been seeing less and less of their albums since then. Does Bandy still exist?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Check out the Easterling track in this mix.

Example

Mr. Danny White

Funky16Corners Radio v.5 ??? Funky Nawlins Vol. 1

Track listing

1.The Meters ??? Cardova (Instant) 2.Chris Kenner ??? Fumigate Funky Broadway (Instant) 3. Jimmy Hicks - I???m Mr Big Stuff (Big Deal) 4. The Unemployed ??? Funky Thing Pt1 5. Skip Easterling ???Too Weak To Break The Chains (Instant) 6. Lee Dorsey ??? When the Bill???s Paid (Polydor) 7.Cyril Neville ??? Tell me What???s On Your Mind (Josie) 8.Danny White ??? Natural Soul Brother (SSS Intl) 9. David Batiste & The Gladiators ??? Funky Soul Pts 1&2 (Instant) 10.Wilbert Harrison ??? Girls On Parade (Buddah) 11. Chuck Carbo ??? Take Care of You Homework (Canyon) 12. Allen Toussaint ??? We The People (Bell) 13. Oliver Morgan ??? Roll Call (Seven B) 14.Deacon John ??? You Don???t Know How To Turn me On (Bell) 15. Mary Jane Hooper ??? Harper Valley PTA (Power) 16. Eddie Bo ??? Don???t Turn Me Loose (Bo Sound)

Download - 45MB Mixed Mp3

Download - 46MB Zip File

He also has a couple of nice upbeat soul sides on Alon

• Those Bandy comps are great, anyone know of a full label discography? I posted most of the ones that are on discogs.

Where did you post them?

On discogs -- I created the entries that are there now for a handful of Bandy releases.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Where did you post them?

On discogs -- I created the entries that are there now for a handful of Bandy releases.

I figured that out after I posted. I have another that has some killer Northern stuff. Lots of nice obscurities on these.

• What's the title of the one you have?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    All These Things, Bandy 7007

Art Neville-All These Things
    Lee Dorsey- Lover of Loves
    Chris Kenner- Something You Got
    Roger & Gypsies- Pass the Hatchet
    The Pitter Pats- It Do Me Good
    Aaron Neville- I've Done It Again

The Stokes- Young Man, Old Man
    Chris Kenner- Land of 1,000 Dances
    Lee Dorsey- Lottie Mo
    Willie Harper- New Kind of Love
    Raymond Lewis- I'm Gonne Put Some Hurt on You
    Ernie K-Doe- Come On Home

• Thanks! That Pitter Pats track is nice, probably the same one that's on the Huey Smith comp on Bandy. I see Craig Moerer has a copy of All These Things, but on the Instant label for $75....

• Anyone know anything about the relationship between Bandy, Instant, Minit & possibly other labels that seem to have a lot of overlap? Are there any good books on NOLA soul and r&b?

A lot of the New Orleans record industry "impresarios" had multiple labels running concurrently, or closed one down as partnerships faded & started another. That is the overlap.

An good example is your Minit/Instant one. Joe Banashak started Minit in the late 50s moving to distribution through Imperial. As he became unhappy with that deal he started Instant in the early 60s & moved the distribution of that label to Atlantic.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Bandy later started putting out Instant/Minit tracks.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like Skip Easterling's "Pennsylvania Coal Mine" too.

There's a decent anthology LP of his stuff, I think on Charly?

And the Bandy sets are common in the northeast as well,
    there are copies that seem to have been pressed well into
    the 70's if not the early 80's. My "Love You, New Orleans"
    however, seems like a late 60's/early 70's pressing.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    An good example is your Minit/Instant one. Joe Banashak started Minit in the late 50s moving to distribution through Imperial. As he became unhappy with that deal he started Instant in the early 60s & moved the distribution of that label to Atlantic.

Banashak had Minit, Instant, Seven B and Alon (and probably five or six others I can't recall right now) allof which are represented on those Bandy comps.