who is drake?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

(p.s.: drew, I'm embrassed to admit that it's only recently that I've realized that your username is two words--"drew nice." For the longest time I was thinking it rhymed with "Eunice." Oof.)

No, it is one word--pronounced like Enyce ("Dru-knee-chay")

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    James, thanks for your take on this. I feel you on the idea of having a lot of guests and jumping in on their styles, that's a keen observation. What does he do in a studio by himself without a collaborator? It remains to be seen.

I'm not sure if I should be surprised by how skeptical many of you view Drake's music or if I could have assumed it from the other discussions of current and upcoming artists. I, for one, am not caught up in the hype of anointing Drake as the second coming of (insert your favorite icon here), so don't misinterpret my enthusiasm. My point is that I think he has the potential to offer something special that I haven't heard in new music for awhile and it???s way too early to write him off.

We are now at the point where the next generation of notable or great artists will start to show their faces, and I wonder, just as many of you do, which ones will stand out among them? Picking their efforts apart early is definitely one way to cut the fat off and get to the real schitt, so, to a degree, I can appreciate that.

However, I believe there are some great tracks and moments on this tape that I connect with. They keep me coming back. Maybe I'm a sucker for music with some kind of feeling, a song that takes you exactly where you want to go, and it's good to hear that again. In any case, I do sense something deeper here (from wherever it comes) that makes me sit up and take notice.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I ride for November 18th.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    More and more I'm discovering that the DrewNice and I share alot of the same opinions on music. I just wish dude would stop ducking me when he comes through the city. ha!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Dr Eunice is a great man. I miss the days I would receive PM's of the bootyful surroundings that Philly has to offer.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    More and more I'm discovering that the DrewNice and I share alot of the same taste in eyewear[/b].

B/W Where you beeeeeen, Claymoe?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    More and more I'm discovering that the DrewNice and I share alot of the same opinions on music. I just wish dude would stop ducking me when he comes through the city. ha!

Hey,

Drew Nice is the dudest!!! Drew, if you're ever up in Dirty Jerzy, make sure you holla at ya boy!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    cant believe dudes ride for this bullshit & i get hatted on for repping electrik red. F*ck all yall

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Epaulet Soul

so on point

This thread is cracc to me. I'm fascinated by not being able to reconcile my views on "So Far Gone" with the majority of those who have spoken so far. There isn't even a middle ground.

Any and all opinions of those who have heard the record are encouraged to chime.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm really digging it, and I've been bumping it. I checked his older material before So Far Gone dropped, but I didn't find it anywhere near as interesting. The dude has a depth, and listening to him for twenty or thirty minutes isn't fatiguing--unlike a lot of other music. I agree with your sentiments spot on as far as Drake being part of a group of people that are coming up after a group of hugely influential people. He's legit content, not just an outfit with a mouthpiece, and he doesn't waste lines on bullshit filler, every word matters.

I'm also optimistic that he's gonna do something good for hip hop. I brought the same point up a couple months ago though, and the thread went bananas. All bad, probably cause it had my name on it.

I ride hard for Drake.

Countdown to Faux Rillz, Brian, Spelunk, Bigspliff, or Quo post...

This thread is cracc to me. I'm fascinated by not being able to reconcile my views on "So Far Gone" with the majority of those who have spoken so far. There isn't even a middle ground.

Any and all opinions of those who have heard the record are encouraged to chime.

Not only is Drake's music horrible--he is a horrible person. I can tell from his music.

Haha, my man. Further widening the chasm with an epic level of abstract, unjustified thought. You know I appreciate you.

Here's a question: does anybody who liked 808s and Heartbreak NOT like So Far Gone?(And why not?)

Just curious. I will soon let go of my grip on this topic.

Haha, my man. Further widening the chasm with an epic level of abstract, unjustified thought. You know I appreciate you.

Here's a question: does anybody who liked 808s and Heartbreak NOT like So Far Gone?(And why not?)

Just curious. I will soon let go of my grip on this topic.

You know I'm playing but, to answer the question: No, I did not like 808s initially, save for "Heartless," although a few other tracks have subsequently grown on me.

I agree with your sentiments spot on as far as Drake being part of a group of people that are coming up after a group of hugely influential people.

So you like Drake because he's influenced by artists whom you like because you deem them "hugely influential"?

Okay...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I still have not been thoroughly convinced enough to listen to any of this. Drew's recommendation ALMOST canceled out hemold's fanboyism but then Ross came in with his review so I don't know...

I still have not been thoroughly convinced enough to listen to any of this. Drew's recommendation ALMOST canceled out hemold's fanboyism but then Ross came in with his review so I don't know...

Dude, he is very influenced by some very influential artists.

Better holler at that immediately.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

There's also an optimistic forecast that he will do some good for hip-hop so that's another point for him I guess...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I am praying that this thread does not become a

The fact that I'm in here making a case for something new after a two month hiatus should also be noted. (Yes, Drake brought me back to SoulStrut!) I usually just let you all handle the business of criticism and mediate from the sidelines.

Look, the joint is free and worth listening to, if even just to say that you now know what people are making such a fuss about--one way or another.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I am praying that this thread does not become a
    It might have to for the good of hip-hop.

There's also an optimistic forecast that he will do some good for
    hip-hop so that's another point for him I guess...

He is also alleged to not waste words on filler, and every one of his words is purported to matter.

Perhaps someone can poast the lyrics to "Best I Ever Had" so we can put these claims to the test.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Drake > Lil Wayne.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

He is also alleged to not waste words on filler, and every one of his words is purported to matter.

This is why I like Wayne so much. It's not that they matter to me, but I can tell they matter to him. You can tell he truly cares about his craft.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

cohen +
    = gremlin worthy

That's a graemlin waiting to happen.

my god, thats such a graemlin.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

cohen +
    = gremlin worthy

That's a graemlin waiting to happen.

my god, thats such a graemlin.

+1

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    so when does Comme Des Garcons start blowing up in the hood?

One of the dudes he works w/ on the beats is pretty tight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boi-1da

The only Canadian who should be allowed to rap are Saukrates and Kardinal.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    please

I have to say the beat and hook are catchy, but the lyrics are abhorrently bad. Drake makes Cam look like the second coming of Rakim.

Best I Ever Had lyrics

Baby you my everything you all i ever wanted.
    We can do it real big.
    Bigger then you ever done it.
    You be up on everything.
    Other hoes ain't never on it.
    I want this forever, i swear i can spend whatever on it.

Cause she hold me down everytime i hit her up.
    When i get right i promise that we gon live it up.
    She make me beg for it till she give it up.
    And I say the same thing every single time.

I say you the f*cking best.
    You the f*cking best.
    You the f*cking best.
    You the f*cking best.
    You the best i ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    I say you the f*cking.

Know you got a roommate
    Call me when its no one there
    Put the key under the mat
    And you know I'll be over there
    (Yup) I'll be over there
    Shawty, I'll be over there
    I'll be hitting all the spots that u ain't even know was there
    Ha. And you ain't even have to ask twice
    You can have my heart or we can share it like the last slice
    Always felt like you was so accustom to the fast life
    Have a nigga thinking that he met you in a past life
    Sweat pants, hair tied, chilling with no make up on
    That's when your the prettiest
    I hope that you don take it wrong
    You don't even trip when friends say you ain't bringing Drake along
    You know that I'm working I'll be there soon as I make it home
    And she a patient in my waiting room
    Never pay attention to them rumors and what they assume
    And until them girls prove it
    I'm the one to Never get confused with Cause.

We can do it real big.
    You be up on everything.

Cause she hold me down everytime i hit her up.

You the f*cking best.
    You the f*cking best.
    You the f*cking best.
    You the best i ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    I say you the f*cking.

Sex, Love, Pain
    Baby I be on that tank shit
    Buzz so big i could probably sell a blank disk
    When my album drop
    Bitches will buy it for the picture
    And niggas will buy it too and claim they got it for they sister
    Magazine paper girl
    But money ain't the issue
    They bring dinner to my room and ask me to initial
    She call me the referee
    Cause I be so official
    My shirt ain't got no stripes but I can make yo pussy whistle
    Like the Andy Griffith theme song
    And who told you to put them jeans on
    double cup love
    You the one i lean on
    Feeling for a fix then you should really get yo pheen on
    Yea just know my condo is the crack spot
    Every single show she out there repping like a mascot
    Get it from the back
    And make yo f*cking bra strap pop
    All up in yo slot until the nigga hit the jackpots

We can do it real big.
    You be up on everything.

Cause she hold me down every time i hit her up.

You the f*cking best.
    You the f*cking best.
    You the f*cking best.
    You the best i ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    Best I ever had.
    I say you the f*cking.