Norteno Strut

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
No XIVI'm jammming some Tigres Del Norte right now, and surprisingly I am kind of digging this sound that I really couldn't stand growing up.So Herm, BigSpliff, Drez, Grandfather (?), my California dudes, my Texas dudes... I'm looking at you. What else should I check out in this lane?

Comments

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    lol, wow man
    i always loved hearing:
    Antonio Aguilar (corridas more than norte??as)
    Los Rielleros,
    Cornelio Reyna,
    Ramon Ayala (!!!!)

ay bluhd, when La Puerta Negra comes on and I've been drinking, no mames guey, puro desmadre

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Chalino Sanchez son. Straight OG...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    since Nortena is usually what is bumpin in your finer Mexican eateries in Texas, I have been conditioned to get hungry as soon as I hear those accordians...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Norteno music is okay, I guess. I respect it, but don't listen to it much at home. THAT SAID...norteno sounds real good (a) coming from a jukebox, (b) booming from a sound system in the summertime, or (c) performed live. I was at a backyard party once when I heard a norteno band in an opposite yard, playing at yet another party. Was half-tempted to go over there and enjoy the sounds.

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    Norteno = Tejano???

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what yall know about festejo

ive been bumping some eversince the cumbia thread

post some classics if you got em

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Norteno = Tejano???

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Norteno music is from Mexico. Tejano music started in Texas with OGs like Flaco Jiminez.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    heres a semi-tejano mix i made about 5 years ago. all from ca, az, and tx.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Did you post this before? I ride (rode?).

im pretty sure i did. that first track is out of oakland of all places.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    You did. And I DLed. And I still love it.

And you are a l??mpara sin luz, Chigui.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Norteno = Tejano???

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Norteno music is from Mexico. Tejano music started in Texas with OGs like Flaco Jiminez.

I'm no authority, but I think Norteño is a catch all term used to describe the music that is way more popular in North Mexico, and by extension, the border states, than what they generally listened to in the south, which has more tropical and indian influence. Norteño is basically Rancheras and Corridos plus some other stuff, if it's got a US Rock/Soul influence, it's Tejano, especially if it has drums, since they could only come from Africa to Northern Mexico via the US charts - as opposed to pretty much all Central and S America and the Caribbean.

heres a semi-tejano mix i made about 5 years ago. all from ca, az, and tx.

DL'ing for the missus.

Paycheck... um, I think the Los Tigres catalog is deep enough to keep you going for a while

I agree with Pickwick, if you hear the music it means good times (or food) but I'm not trying to dig for it. Plenty of Musart and Peerless mistakes in my crates though!

si supieras la verdad

I agree with Pickwick, if you hear the music it means good times (or food) but I'm not trying to dig for it. Plenty of Musart and Peerless mistakes in my crates though!

This was totally a throw in on an already-great haul of records... I thought to myself, "ah who cares I'll give this another try."

So if I walk in the shop and see someone in white jeans and a shiny belt buckle I won't automatically assume it's crazypoprock?

si supieras la verdad

WTF is that cracked out instro at the 30 min mark? Phil Collins or something?

man its been so long, i think its juan torrez. he rocks the duro church organ.

So if I walk in the shop and see someone in white jeans and a shiny belt buckle I won't automatically assume it's crazypoprock?

*roffle*

A dude asked me why I was playing Mexican restaurant music today.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Norteno = Tejano???

I'm no authority, but I think Norte??o is a catch all term used to describe the music that is way more popular in North Mexico, and by extension, the border states, than what they generally listened to in the south, which has more tropical and indian influence. Norte??o is basically Rancheras and Corridos plus some other stuff, if it's got a US Rock/Soul influence, it's Tejano, especially if it has drums, since they could only come from Africa to Northern Mexico via the US charts - as opposed to pretty much all Central and S America and the Caribbean.

This how I understand it as well.

An ex-coworker set me straight saying "if you see a troca del ano with the family name + dallas skyline decal on the back window, those are some straight up mexicans and what's blaring out their ride is norteno. I don't listen to that shit. I listen to Tejano."

Acordian = probably norteno
    Sans acordian and a sizable horn section and a cover of do the hustle... could be Tejano.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Tigres Del Norte

SAN JOSE REPRESENTAR!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

Yo Johnny, hit me with your address and I will hit you off with a grip of nice 45's ands including some of thier eariler stuff on the Local FAMA lable out here!!

Are you looking for corridos?

Yeah..you should have hit the mother f*cker in the face.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Oh and another thing, Back in the day, they used to perform at the flea market around the way (Berryessa Flea Market) Them and Los Flamers and a couple of other local cats. I love that ish!!!

Keep tuned for the mix soon folks

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    In about a year people on waxidermy will start collecting these records as "Ethnic LPs"

• Steve Jordan.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

so i guess there's no chance of a tracklist for this?

i'm diggin it - it's money for reading to. which reminds me that it's about time i got back to this mix i was working on called funk for book-reading

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Norteno = Tejano???

I'm no authority, but I think Norte??o is a catch all term used to describe the music that is way more popular in North Mexico, and by extension, the border states, than what they generally listened to in the south, which has more tropical and indian influence. Norte??o is basically Rancheras and Corridos plus some other stuff, if it's got a US Rock/Soul influence, it's Tejano, especially if it has drums, since they could only come from Africa to Northern Mexico via the US charts - as opposed to pretty much all Central and S America and the Caribbean.

im pretty sure this is it. I think maybe some banda music would fall in to this category too, but norte??as are border music

when i think of tejano, this the first thing that comes to mind

a lot of it has some spanglish thrown in too

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    F*ck that ay, Sureno's for life, Cali's FINEST ese.

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    I was schooled that the accordion polka stylee was strictly Tejano because that whole steeze came from the polka loving German immigrants to Tejas in the 19th century and was adapted by the local Mexican population.

so i guess there's no chance of a tracklist for this?

i found this in an old email.

TRACKLIST

1. lampara sin luz - oakland
    2. cholo - LA, CA
    3. un sueno de amor - HOUSTONSOREAL, TX
    4. angelito - TX [houston?] i think i'll have to go home and check
    5. mi amiga, mi esposa, mi amante - TX (i forget where)
    6. si supiera la verdad - DF
    7. sabor a mi - LA, CA
    8. lo mucho - TX
    9. inutil es - Temple, TX
    10. i forget the name but this one's out of mcallen, TX
    11. soleado - DF
    12. the town i live in - LA, CA.
    13. no me conoces - mcallen, TX.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Cities only--the perfect tracklisting, jaja.