All this rap music sounds the same!

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Almost all of the popular male artists these days are little dudes with high pitched whiny voices. None of these guys are very masculine or have any bass in their voice. Are women attracted to these metro sexual falsetto type dudes? Jaheim is the only fairly recent exception I can think of.

Chocolate Rain
    No one wants to hear about it now
    Chocolate Rain
    Wish real hard it goes away somehow[/b]

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think the 50s were a really shitty time for pop music - I guess the occasional R&R or R&B cut would cross over but for the most part it was REALLY all the same, shlocky easy/breezy mindless drivel...

As far as what I've lived through, the pop music of the late 80s and early 90s will still make me utterly depressed - that shit was far worse than anything going down today. For real.

And technology has definitely gotten kids MUCH closer to their own regional (even neighborhood-based) musical identity than at any other point in the past few decades: a lot of the shit they jam is not only far from being on a major/corporate, its also not even going to be on an indy, just some songs posted on a myspace or whatever... so the whole corporate takeover/big brother notion goes out the window on that one.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    As far as what I've lived through, the pop music of the late 80s and early 90s will still make me utterly depressed - that shit was far worse than anything going down today. For real..

b/w

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Waaah waaah...I can't tell any Southern rappers apart...they all sound like my tenderberry taking a beating...waaah waaah!!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    LOLOLOL

I think I might be nearing the point where I have to retire from SoulStrut

Dudes whining about "I need a ruffneck R&B thug with a gruff voice!"

Me and deej might have to start our own forum

LOL! It really ain't that big of an issue hommie! I was just trying to give a few examples of how most of the current male singers are all Falsetto and shit. I don't even listen to much current R&B so plaese don't take it so serious. You dudes are comedy.

Waaah waaah...I can't tell any Southern rappers apart...they all sound like my tenderberry taking a beating...waaah waaah!!!

You got jokes too Harvey. I like some Southern rappers and I can tell the difference. You have to admit that the GS Boyz, B-Hamp and Hurricane Chris songs really do sound a lot alike. Or maybe not. I am not an expert on the nuances of keyboard based snap rap.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Don't lie Chan you are looking for a ruffneck thug with a gruff voice.

Don't lie Chan you are looking for a ruffneck thug with a gruff voice.

Jonny really bringing the jokes now! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    while the turntable is an instrument...can you play chords on it?

Why is playing Chords THE standard of making music?

Different tools require different approaches.

Why are stuck on this pseudo-purist approach to creating music?

exactly. I aint heard of anyone playing chords on drums...are they not an instrument?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

exactly. I aint heard of anyone playing chords on drums...are they not an instrument?

a turntable can easily be an instrument, I cant believe anyone would even attempt to make the argument that it isnt. You have to be able to operate it in accordance to being in beat, counting bars, being in key/pitch, etc. case closed, its an instrument...that IS a tired argument.

However, I dont think the argument that has been over simplified down to "old music is better" is tired though....simply stating that something like "The Funky Chicken" is no better musically or artistically than "Stanky Leg" just because they have the same social significance in their respective eras is kind of a bullshit argument. Although pop music depends on the circumstance in which it is created as to its significance, when it is judged on musical merits, yes some music is better than others. Also, even if you are going to judge it purely on social significance, you have to let time be that judge...There are museums dedicated to the people who created things like the "Funky Chicken", I highly highly doubt there will be museums dedicated to the scene/industry that created the "Stanky Leg", so even with the "social significance" argument, modern dance craze/pop/whatever you want to call it, possibly falls short.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

you can't play chords on a monophonic synth either but last time I checked it was an instrument.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think we need a Stanky Leg Music graemlin.

Also, even if you are going to judge it purely on social significance, you have to let time be that judge

I highly highly doubt there will be museums dedicated to the scene/industry that created the "Stanky Leg

You just contradicted yourself.

Let time be that judge.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Also, even if you are going to judge it purely on social significance, you have to let time be that judge

I highly highly doubt there will be museums dedicated to the scene/industry that created the "Stanky Leg

Let time be that judge.

Since when does the word "doubt" imply a complete ending? The phrase "highly doubt" says I think there wont be, I don't say THERE WILL NOT BE. Right? Right. My opinion is that I doubt there will be, but time will be the judge.

That is what I said, I did not contradict myself.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts

since when in music did everybody have "young" in their name ?

lol. this morning on the bus i was watching the girl in front of me scroll thru her ipod. when she got down to the Y's, i was laughing because she had like 30 different artists whose names started with 'Young'. shit is weird. I think she settled on Young Jeezy.

Not to split hairs but when you say "you HAVE to let time be that judge", the inclusion of "have" makes it a *necessary* condition to judgment. As opposed to, for example, "you SHOULD let time be that judge" which is a suggestion but not a mandate.

However, you mandated that time HAS to be that judge, yet turn around a few sentences later and pass judgement on a music style from the present. You're not taking your own advice. Ergo, it seems rather contradictory.

But notice, I say it SEEMS contradictory, as opposed to claiming it IS contradictory.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts

Let time be that judge.

Since when does the word "doubt" imply a complete ending? The phrase "highly doubt" says I think there wont be, I don't say THERE WILL NOT BE. Right? Right. My opinion is that I doubt there will be, but time will be the judge.

That is what I said, I did not contradict myself.

why do you doubt it?

and on a site where so many champion music that was obscure even at the time of its release, is the stamp of approval of a museum really something you put any stock in?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Me and deej might have to start our own forum
    What would the name be?

It might not even be a word. It might be some deejtastic emoticon.

www.eightpointfive.com

Bookmark it, bitches!

haha

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

since when in music did everybody have "young" in their name ?

i was laughing because she had like 30 different artists whose names started with 'Young'. shit is weird. I think she settled on Young Jeezy.

"young" to me is no different than when people had "MC" or "grand master" or "dogg-dog-dawg" attached to their rap names. its a trend that will surely pass with time. we here on soulstrut are the new CRUST. we are old. we should all get over it.

ps- young mc was way ahead of his time with that rap name.

lol. this morning on the bus i was watching the girl in front of me scroll thru her ipod. when she got down to the Y's, i was laughing because she had like 30 different artists whose names started with 'Young'. shit is weird. I think she settled on Young Jeezy.

A couple years ago it was "Li'l." I was in a used record store years ago and one of the employees was going through CD's and he was like "I can't believe all the artists that start with 'Li'l.'" He proceeded to read them off in alphabetical order like "We've got Li'l A...L'il John...Li'l Mo', Li'l O, Li'l Wayne, and Li'l Zane." There were like 16 total. It was pretty funny.

A couple years ago it was "Li'l." I was in a used record store years ago and one of the employees was going through CD's and he was like "I can't believe all the artists that start with 'Li'l.'" He proceeded to read them off in alphabetical order like "We've got Li'l A...L'il John...Li'l Mo', Li'l O, Li'l Wayne, and Li'l Zane." There were like 16 total. It was pretty funny.

Don't forget "Lil' Half Dead!" LOL

Don't forget "Lil' Half Dead!" LOL

That might have been one. He rattled off a whole list to his co-worker. If I had been writing a screenplay, I would have tried to work it in because it was so good. You could do it now with "Young." Pops rolls into a record store and says his grandson is into "Young somebody. I forget who." And the clerk would be like "Well, we have Young this, Young that, " on an on for five minutes.

Blues of the 1920s-50s:

Little _______
    Big _______
    Junior _______
    Sonny Boy ________

Jamaican music of the 1960s-80s:

Junior ________
    Jah _______
    _______ Rankin/Ranking/Rankins
    _______ Banton

Calypso:

Lord ________
    Count ________

Never mind all the early rap groups: Fearless/Fabulous/Fantastic/Furious 2/3/4/5/6/etc.

Bottom line: like a most of the arguments in this thread, y'all embrace it when its music that you like and hate/ridicule when its music that you don't like.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    ps- young mc was way ahead of his time with that rap name.

He's also the polar opposite of an old, still relevant mc - an mc that's forever "young" yet sadly irrelevant.

Doesn't a lot of hatt from the older generation towards the rap music of the kids have something to do with the musics "disconnectedness" from "hip hop culture"? Not stating, just asking.

Doesn't a lot of hatt from the older generation towards the rap music of the kids have something to do with the musics "disconnectedness" from "hip hop culture"? Not stating, just asking.

I don't think anybody in America cares about that shit.

WTF?

Can u explain this?

If anything some of these "mindless" club songs are more in step w/ Hip Hop's original party vibe.

Not some jibber-jabber rapper over looped jazzy funk raers.

But...but...but what about "The Message"?

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

WTF?

Can u explain this?

If anything some of these "mindless" club songs are more in step w/ Hip Hop's original party vibe.

Not some jibber-jabber rapper over looped jazzy funk raers.

How dare you question the integrity of superscientificalmadness!