Donovan or Dylan?

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

You need to reconnect with your inner white man.

Yea, cuz Johnny connects with his inner asshole everyday. So the reast of us should get with it.

seems like you would be pretty interested in connecting with jonny's inner asshole yourself there, holmes.

Oh, yes another homophobic zing form the donkey fucker.

• hey man, the reast of us thought it was pretty funny.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Yea, cuz Johnny connects with his inner asshole everyday. So the reast of us should get with it.

seems like you would be pretty interested in connecting with jonny's inner asshole yourself there, holmes.

It took you 8 minutes to come up with that? I'm really disappointed dude... this could be so much more entertaining than it currently is

Btw I listen to Dylan more than Morrison but I listen to Astral Weeks more than any one record by Dylan.

Hey short bus, who are you? You came on this site and never really introduced yourself. 1000s of posts later, all I know about you is that some office flirt dumped you for the guy a few cubicles down

Ehhhh, what's to introduce. I'm a record nerd who spend to much time collecting records and talking about it on the internet. And BTW that's office slut!

the reast of us

Watch out, you desire to fuck beasts is comming through on your spelling. Can't get them out of your head can you.

• jesus dude, you really are fucking dim. go check your original post.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    nah dog what it brings out is that you don't know shit about music

said. Truth.

It took you 8 minutes to come up with that? I'm really disappointed dude... this could be so much more entertaining than it currently is

Btw I listen to Dylan more than Morrison but I listen to Astral Weeks more than any one record by Dylan.
    it seems to me that regardless of what you really "like" or "don't like", if certain strutters post anything, it's not up to your standards. just cause you bought a record shop doesn't mean what you're into is better than anyone else. at least some of the other "instigators" here have wit and charm (good looks too)... i guess all you have is a record shop? hit me on the PM when you want to give Raj more money.

it seems to me that regardless of what you really "like" or "don't like", if certain strutters post anything, it's not up to your standards. just cause you bought a record shop doesn't mean what you're into is better than anyone else. at least some of the other "instigators" here have wit and charm (good looks too)... i guess all you have is a record shop? hit me on the PM when you want to give Raj more money.

That is so out there I don't know how to respond...

But I've been an asshole on this site waaay before I had a shop. Read up on your read ups, holmes. And please, if you're gonna get all jelly please do it in the shop's own thread so I can get the extra promotion.

Unlike you I don't spend every second hitting refresh and foaming at the mouth to start shit. I went and had a sandwich, you should consider taking a break once and a while and chilling out. Are you really that excited to get into with people? Plus, there are other threads.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    nah dog what it brings out is that you don't know shit about music
    rape donkeys for president

Unlike you I don't spend every second hitting refresh and foaming at the mouth to start shit. I went and had a sandwich, you should consider taking a break once and a while and chilling out. Are you really that excited to get into with people? Plus, there are other threads.

I am very chill right now... I like getting a rise out of you guys because you are so easy to upset... and you have this ridiculous image of me as a mouth foaming, cackling asshole... couldn't be further from the truth, but I really get a kick out of it...

Anyways, yeah my business doesn't pick up until around 5-6 on weekdays... so yeah, I'm killing time... maybe if I was back in a cubicle... naaaaaaah.

i want a new title that says FORMERLY KNOWN AS POLISH "WAY OUT THERE" PRINCESS[/b] ...
    c'mon someone, spring for that shit.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    not quite there yet

but this thread is very close to providing me w/ a new location.

ummm... FUCK YOU. yo Donovan and Dylan both suck.

let's see if that works.

not quite there yet

but this thread is very close to providing me w/ a new location.

ummm... FUCK YOU. yo Donovan and Dylan both suck.

let's see if that works.

"Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you........you're cool......fuck you I'm out!!!!!!"

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    yall some hoes.

let's get back to the matter.

dylan genius, perhaps.

guru genius, no.

donovan, what's really good?

mostly the voice.

he may be the sunshine superman, but I'm the moonshine spiderman.

i like dylan okay, but he never did anything as funky as this...

All jokes/asshole posturing aside, "funky" is not what's good about Dylan.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The fact that dudes think it was Dylan who made Donovan look like a punk in Don't Look Back is very telling. As a Dylan fan, parts of that flick are hard for me to watch, cause dude shows some issues of the bitch-ass variety. Watching him and Lennon preparing to get high as shit in the back of a Bentley is pretty fucking entertaining, though, and the live shit is legend.

Donovan has some great songs.

Dylan has like at least 10 classic albums, and his songs were inescapable for almost 20 years, covered by everyone.

I'll put on a Donovan record and drop the needle on a song I like, but I'll play both sides of just about any Dylan album, all 4 of Blonde on Blonde.

At this point in life, I gotta go with A*am and say I listen to more Dylan covers than Dylan himself, although I was spinning New Morning every day for a few weeks just a couple of months ago.

• Honestly, this is the only thing Dylan-related I can really get into:

then why is one a "tool" for liking donovan? that was the second post on this thread. you're "supposed" to like dylan better... but the same goes for doolittle by the pixies. that's my least fav by them, and i promise, if we had a "PIXIES KNOWLEDGE BATTLE", you'd be calling your friends for answers.

then why is one a "tool" for liking donovan? that was the second post on this thread. you're "supposed" to like dylan better... but the same goes for doolittle by the pixies. that's my least fav by them, and i promise, if we had a "PIXIES KNOWLEDGE BATTLE", you'd be calling your friends for answers.

I don't pretend to know the Pixies... Morocco Mole's a tool for many reasons...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    wow just fucking wow

go watch 'don't look back'

then look back at this thread

and tell me you don't feel like a complete fucking loser

I might not be so blunt, but I have to agree with the sentiment.

Culturally, Dylan leaves most artists of the modern era in the dust in terms of sheer influence. So in this regard you are simply being unfair to an artist like Donovan, an entertaining, perfectly capable and sometimes inspired musician. If Donovan is an engine, Dylan is the world's oil supply.

Musically, it still is an unfair fight. Donovan has his moments of brilliance, inspired songs and canny, timely LPs and hits. But Dylan between 1964 to arguably 1974 and then several times since has demonstrated a talent of such magnitude that I still think it's hard to really quantify it. Blonde on Blonde in and of itself is, IMO, one of the great American artistic achievements of the last 60 years. Donovan has nothing to set beside it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    wow just fucking wow

go watch 'don't look back'

then look back at this thread

and tell me you don't feel like a complete fucking loser

I might not be so blunt, but I have to agree with the sentiment.

Culturally, Dylan leaves most artists of the modern era in the dust in terms of sheer influence. So in this regard you are simply being unfair to an artist like Donovan, an entertaining, perfectly capable and sometimes inspired musician. If Donovan is an engine, Dylan is the world's oil supply.

Musically, it still is an unfair fight. Donovan has his moments of brilliance, inspired songs and canny, timely LPs and hits. But Dylan between 1964 to arguably 1974 and then several times since has demonstrated a talent of such magnitude that I still think it's hard to really quantify it. Blonde on Blonde in and of itself is, IMO, one of the great American artistic achievements of the last 60 years. Donovan has nothing to set beside it.

What HE said.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    This thread makes me laugh! I get into this conversation all the time. I don't even feel like typing out why I LISTEN TO DONOVAN MORE THAN DYLAN cause it would take for ever. Watch "Don't Look Back" and tell me who was jealous of Donovan. That whole movie is about how jealous Bob was of him. In Dylan's eyes Donovan was a better guitar player, a better singer, most certainly a better harp player, younger, and better looking. I can understand why someone would say Don ripped off Bob but only for like 2 albums. And not the whole album, just a couple of songs. Donovan experimented in way more music than Bob. And come on...Bob ripped of Guthrie & Ramblin Jack. I'm a fan of Dylan's but the most credit I give him is being a serious pioneer. He comercialized the sound but he wasn't the founder. I know some of you are reading this and thinking "What the hell is he smoking in Memphis?" Well I've turned the most serious Dylan fan/Donovan hater into bigger Donovan fans than I am.
    I LIKE DONOVAN WAY MORE!
    "Sunny Goodge Street" is one of the best songs ever IMO.

Pick up this joint...

Also if anyone has or see's a Donovan album called "HMS Donovan" I'm on the lookout for that one. I've never even seen what it actually looks like.

Quote and hate on me below.

Dylan or Prince might be a better "who would win in a fight" comparison.
    Or Dylan vs James Brown, who is more influential...

But Dylan vs Donovan is just demonstrating a lack of critical understanding regarding either figure and pop music in general.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    If anybody would actually bother to read my initial post that would be cool. I never said Donovan was better than Dylan. The question was who do you personally listen to more often? Pretty simple question. But instead all the haters come out, whatever its what makes this place a little bit entertaining these days. Hey if we lived in a proper world Emitt Rhodes would be a household name, right?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Is this guy asking who was more influential or who do you play more often?

Peace

h

Edit: dude above was quicker on the draw than me.

Is this guy asking who was more influential or who do you play more often?

Peace

h

Edit: dude above was quicker on the draw than me.

Who gets played more often...
    DYLAN

in this book, the author said that dylan (with lou reed) took advantage of young girls by providing them methamphetamine for days on end, and sexually corrupetd them. that's why i don't like him. shallow/petty, whatever. doug yule was there.