Donovan or Dylan?

Comments

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Donovan. The thread pretty much sums it up -- Dylan is "great" but Donovan is actually more fun to listen to. And that breakdown of "Don't Look Now" is spot on.

Dylan has pulled so much crass shit in his career I'm amazed people still think he's some sort of God. I saw him in concert a couple of years ago -- free ticket -- it was the most phoned in, halfassed bullshit I've ever heard. Yes he was great once upon a time but that was long ago.

Energy flows WEST, motherfuckers!

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Just a little fun fact if you care.

Remember this movie?

That's Donovan's daughter.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Donovan. The thread pretty much sums it up -- Dylan is "great" but Donovan is actually more fun to listen to. And that breakdown of "Don't Look Now" is spot on.

Dylan has pulled so much crass shit in his career I'm amazed people still think he's some sort of God. I saw him in concert a couple of years ago -- free ticket -- it was the most phoned in, halfassed bullshit I've ever heard. Yes he was great once upon a time but that was long ago.

Energy flows WEST, motherfuckers!

Yeah but at least Dylan has had a career that actually managed to maintain some kind of relevance, even if today he phones in 90% of his shit. What has Donovan cultivated that even approaches to Dylan's career from 1972-82(some of Dylan's lamest moments, but still more memorable than what Donovan was doing at the same time).

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Maybe Donovan started out as a sort of Dylan biter? On the Pennebaker movie (circa 1966) Dylan is dissing Donovan for his Hickory era records. He had not heard what would end up Donovan's most important records: Sunshine Superman through Barabajabal. Plus Dylan just liked to talk shit (see outtakes, esp. him tripping in the back of the cab with Lennon). And it was the UK press that had been pushing Donovan as "Britain's answer to Bob Dylan." Not Donovan. Of course, after this film was made, Dylan would record a string of LPs that would not only put Donovan's (future) output to shame, but also anyone elses's, for that matter.

The comparison is stupid.

I don't know shit about music.

Ain't it just like the night to play tricks when you're tryin' to be so quiet?

We sit here stranded, though we're all doin' our best to deny it

And Louise holds a handful of rain, temptin' you to defy it

Lights flicker from the opposite loft

In this room the heat pipes just cough

The country music station plays soft

But there's nothing, really nothing to turn off

Just Louise and her lover so entwined

And these visions of Johanna that conquer my mind

In the empty lot where the ladies play blindman's bluff with the key chain

And the all-night girls they whisper of escapades out on the "D" train

We can hear the night watchman click his flashlight

Ask himself if it's him or them that's really insane

Louise, she's all right, she's just near

She's delicate and seems like the mirror

But she just makes it all too concise and too clear

That Johanna's not here

The ghost of 'lectricity howls in the bones of her face

Where these visions of Johanna have now taken my place

Now, little boy lost, he takes himself so seriously

He brags of his misery, he likes to live dangerously

And when bringing her name up

He speaks of a farewell kiss to me

He's sure got a lotta gall to be so useless and all

Muttering small talk at the wall while I'm in the hall

How can I explain?

Oh, it's so hard to get on

And these visions of Johanna, they kept me up past the dawn

Inside the museums, Infinity goes up on trial

Voices echo this is what salvation must be like after a while

But Mona Lisa musta had the highway blues

You can tell by the way she smiles

See the primitive wallflower freeze

When the jelly-faced women all sneeze

Hear the one with the mustache say, "Jeeze

I can't find my knees"

Oh, jewels and binoculars hang from the head of the mule

But these visions of Johanna, they make it all seem so cruel

The peddler now speaks to the countess who's pretending to care for him

Sayin', "Name me someone that's not a parasite and I'll go out and say a prayer for him"

But like Louise always says

"Ya can't look at much, can ya man?"

As she, herself, prepares for him

And Madonna, she still has not showed

We see this empty cage now corrode

Where her cape of the stage once had flowed

The fiddler, he now steps to the road

He writes ev'rything's been returned which was owed

On the back of the fish truck that loads

While my conscience explodes

The harmonicas play the skeleton keys and the rain

And these visions of Johanna are now all that remain.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    wow just fucking wow

go watch 'don't look back'

then look back at this thread

and tell me you don't feel like a complete fucking loser

I remember when I watched Don't Look Back that Dylan was a total asshole, I'm starting to think thats why you and Jawny Paychump like Dylan, cuz you can relate?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    just to be objective, anyone seen donovan's teeth?

...at least he has a pretty voice.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    jesus. that's like if you never brushed your teeth since the day you were born.

• tiptoetiptoe 57 Posts

ban

Whoa! At least he doesn't look like Vincent Price in those Victoria's Secrets commercials. Yikes.

ban
    hatter.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Just a little fun fact if you care.

Remeber this movie?

That's Donovan's daughter.

I love fun facts.

secret boyhood crush.

i vote for tim hardin.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    wow just fucking wow

I remember when I watched Don't Look Back that Dylan was a total asshole, I'm starting to think thats why you and Jawny Paychump like Dylan, cuz you can relate?

Damn, you still talking about me? I can send you a glossy if it would help your fantasies.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Aw why? I'm having fun....

STEP IN THE NAME OF HATE YALL

• thats A LOT of sandwiches!

in my neighborhood, they have these vietnamese sandwiches that look just like those... for $1.75. makes me all nostalgic and shit.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    in my neighborhood, they have these vietnamese sandwiches that look just like those... for $1.75. makes me all nostalgic and shit.

They're called BANH MI.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    yeah, i like dylan more
    but my donovan "sunny south kensington" 45 gets more play

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow just fucking wow

Damn, you still talking about me? I can send you a glossy if it would help your fantasies.

yes please...you know the address.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    yeh but the real question is what would happen if Dylan or Donovan set foot inside Project Blowed??? That was their main influence you know.

I think they would get the almighty: Please Pass the Mic...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I dunno, this is tricky, Matt Dylan had some good roles in the 80s but sort of faded, but he was good in Something About Mary. I think Tate Donovan was on the right track with his work in the OC, although the Jennifer Aniston thing does lose him some points.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i can't beleive this thread made it to 3 pages and no mention of Blood on The Tracks???

I dunno, this is tricky, Matt Dylan is a record

Matt Dillon?

Matt Dillon?

yep, him too

• Admittedly I only read the first page of this thread before responding, and I wish you assholes would stop picking on people but that is for another thread... This is a good thread.

I am way more into Donovan than Dylan. I guess I'm a " fag " or perhaps I just don't fall in line with all the " serious rock critics " asshole Robert Hilburn types who think that Bob Dylan is some kind of god or whatever. Even though I have listened to over 50,000 phonographic records in the past 20 years ( conservative estimate ) I have to hear about this Dylan, Stones, The Who, Clapton, Beatles bullshit all day long from assholes who read Rolling Stone.

Dylan is legit, but as for his " seriousness " he might as well have been some kind of a poet ( although he never would have made it in that " serious " of an art form ).

Donovan's material on the Hickory label is a Dylan rip off and is basically super lame ass, but I will take the feeling quality of his Epic record any day over that annoying arrogant grueler Dylan.

Donovan has the magic on tracks like " Sand and Foam " and " Ferris Wheel ". You need the first four or five Epic albums.

The only time I can really be down with Dylan is Nashville Skyline because that was the only time he had a level of humility that I could dig. He is ripping of the Folkways Guthrie era early on and honestly I find most of his rock stuff to be to put it bluntly " bad ".

To hear him rip of Woody is like listening to some bad reconstituted bullshit. Simulacrum. I digested turd. If you are down with the Harry Smith scene how could you really listen to Early Dylan? It's like watching a bad recreation or a docudrama.

On Nashville Skyline Dylan had just wrecked his bike and was performing with some serious heads and was all mellow and humble and cool then after that he had to go back to acting like a creep and a dick.

Anyway, enough about that it's all about Donovan for me. Dude encapsulated the fairytale theater mystic vibrations on a really vital and creative level while all the while placing his Castle of the Isles ren-fair fantasy act center stage.

I was so enamored with Donovan when I was 16, 17 that my dear High School girlfriend (R.I.P.) was kind and drove us down to the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano to see him perform with his just his acoustic guitar. The Coach House is the graveyard for unloved old rock and pop stars. Loverboy plays there and shit.

It was an enchanted evening.

Have an exciting soulstrut Thursday evening,

Anthony

• oh and matt dilon is rad because over the edge is my favorite.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    oh and matt dilon is rad because over the edge Rumble Fish[/b] is my favorite.

Rumble Fish is one of my favorite movies. I remember liking Over The Edge alot but its been years. Gonna have to rent that one soon.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    oh and matt dilon is rad because over the edge is my favorite.

how can you be so right about this and so wrong about Dylan?