All this rap music sounds the same!

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
What up folls? I hate to be that old dude talking bout ???All this rap music sounds the same!??? But these days a lot of rap music really does sound the same and it is getting really old. Check out the four videos below. I am interested in the opinion of Soulstrut massive. These all sound like the same song to me. I???ve been listening to more and more jazz and old school joints since I turned 40. Joints like these below just don???t do anything for me! LOL

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    That "Do the Ricky Bobby" is hilarious.

but yes, they all sound the same. trend rap

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    too loud!

yeah, ive pretty much stopped listening to raplips.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    That "Do the Ricky Bobby" is hilarious.

but yes, they all sound the same. trend rap

I hope this trend ends soon!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    aren't we past the point where 'teh rap' is supposed to be one inclusive happy genre? i don't ever hear people bitching about why their TV on the Radio doesn't sound anything like the rock they used to listen to back in the Pearl Jam days. they kinda just like what they like.

just seems that we are waaayyyy past there being too many styles in hip-hop to even try to put schitt in one bucket anymore.

you ain't a fan of the snap-esque synthasized produced hip hop joints, but you dig the jazzy/soul sample based hip hop, all is to the goodage right?

kinda like being a fan of punk rock and not enjoying blues rock. not really an issue of 'good rock' vs 'bad rock', as more just an issue of 'the style you like' vs 'the style you don't'

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah I mean this is all ringtone rap. Which, to its credit (?) all sounded the same three years ago too.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ain't i is an excellent track

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    aren't we past the point where 'teh rap' is supposed to be one inclusive happy genre? i don't ever hear people bitching about why their TV on the Radio doesn't sound anything like the rock they used to listen to back in the Pearl Jam days. they kinda just like what they like.

just seems that we are waaayyyy past there being too many styles in hip-hop to even try to put schitt in one bucket anymore.

you ain't a fan of the snap-esque synthasized produced hip hop joints, but you dig the jazzy/soul sample based hip hop, all is to the goodage right?

kinda like being a fan of punk rock and not enjoying blues rock. not really an issue of 'good rock' vs 'bad rock', as more just an issue of 'the style you like' vs 'the style you don't'

LOL! You are taking my post WAY too serious hommie! I just wanted to point out that I'm not feeling a lot of this current stuff that sounds the same. I still like the rap. I still like a lot of current Southern rap. I'll listen to Z-RO all day before the stuff I posted above.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

LOL! You are taking my post WAY too serious hommie! I just wanted to point out that I'm not feeling a lot of this current stuff that sounds the same. I still like the rap. I still like a lot of current Southern rap. I'll listen to Z-RO all day before the stuff I posted above.

i feel you, but on the cool, people have been talking about 'same sounding' rap for about 30 years now. shit my dad could have had a long convo with you back in '91 about this same issue.

guess i am not sure if this thread is about getting old, or some "rap music really isn't as good as it used to be..." which i suppose is the same thing in the end.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

such a good song

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

such a good song

Its been a minute since I heard a cat just rhyme for more than 7 mins.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    ain't i is an excellent track

Yeah, I wouldn't really clump it in with the rest of those tracks.

• GnarliamentGnarliament 375 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    What up folls? I hate to be that old dude talking bout ???All this rap music sounds the same!??? But these days a lot of rap music really does sound the same and it is getting really old. Check out the four videos below. I am interested in the opinion of Soulstrut massive. These all sound like the same song to me. I???ve been listening to more and more jazz and old school joints since I turned 40. Joints like these below just don???t do anything for me! LOL

Fuck all this gimmicky, soul-less bullshit.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

DALLAS REPRAZENT!

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts

such a good song

idk, im not feeling it. do i gotta be fucked up on some sizzzurp to get into it or something?? maybe near-death where the super slow voice may actually sound normal?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I think Gnarliment just bodied the main argument in this thread.

Sorry Chan - you my homie but you sound old here (and forgetful!)

Hip-hop, like pop music in general, always goes through different eras of stylistic dominance where "everything sounds the same." That was as true in 1982 as it was in 1992 as it was in 2009. And it certainly applies to other pop music genres too.

The main reason you didn't notice/care before is that you LIKED what you were hearing and right now, you don't like all this hyper-synthed out stuff. But that just means you don't like the style - it's not as if hip-hop has suddenly narrowed its aesthetic range to just THAT style even if it happens to be a dominant style of the moment.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

such a good song

idk, im not feeling it. do i gotta be fucked up on some sizzzurp to get into it or something?? maybe near-death where the super slow voice may actually sound normal?

Heart of a milk dud related.

RIP Fat Pat.

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts

what....the....F*ck??

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

DA TROOF AND DA FEWCHUR!

Okay, I'll ask. What was the point of posting that terd?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think Gnarliment just bodied the main argument in this thread.

Sorry Chan - you my homie but you sound old here (and forgetful!)

Hip-hop, like pop music in general, always goes through different eras of stylistic dominance where "everything sounds the same." That was as true in 1982 as it was in 1992 as it was in 2009. And it certainly applies to other pop music genres too.

The main reason you didn't notice/care before is that you LIKED what you were hearing and right now, you don't like all this hyper-synthed out stuff. But that just means you don't like the style - it's not as if hip-hop has suddenly narrowed its aesthetic range to just THAT style even if it happens to be a dominant style of the moment.

There always can be the argument of a music genre (Or anything for that matter) becoming stale with age. It doesn't have much to do with becoming an old dude.

That said. If you didn't like Hip Hop in the 80's one of the main arguments I always heard was it all sounds the same. Of course, many of of those people changed there tune in the 90's...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

what....the....F*ck??

autotune=easiset way for a lame white guy to sound like a black guy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

what....the....F*ck??

autotune=easiset way for a lame white guy to sound like a lame[/b] black guy

I don't think being black makes autotune sound any better.

Not feeling the zzzzzzzzzz (ro[/b]w of Z[/b]'s). Dude is chatting wank, they slow it down, and put a keyboard preset beat over some elevator music. Nice work if you can get it though.