New Jersey Transit Tragedy

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Hey,Sunday afternoon (May 3rd), me and wifey were on the New Jersey Transit Train out of Newark Liberty Airport, returning from our trip to Akron, OH (I gave a talk at my alma mater, U. of Akron). Anyway, just as we pass the Rahway (NJ) stop, the train suddenly grinded to a halt. The conductor came over the intercom and announced that we would be delayed shortly, and that further information would be provided when available. After 20 minutes, the conductor announces that a "train fatality" occurred with a "trespasser" on the train. Passengers around me all speculated that someone tried to jump off the train (without paying for his/her ticket) and failed. Anyway, we were transferred to another train, and onward to home we went. That was a surreal situation. Any of my Jersey heads hear any details about the train incident?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I just found some news about the train tragedy. Miraculously, the man lived despite being struck by the train. Here is a story about the incident: Man Struck By NJ Transit Train Near Rahway .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I'm glad you guys are ok -- and that's incredible that it looks like the man who was hit by the train is going to be ok, too.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    a couple years back i was riding in a subway car that hit a person. such a bad feeling all around on that train. the mta here in nyc kinda gets these on the regular. awful shit!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I was on my way to work a few years ago when someone committed suicide by jumping on the tracks in front of my train. It was extra weird because it was an elevated line, so it was exposed all arounf. The cops wouldn't let us off until they has screened everything from view, which took a long time. It was my first week at this job, so I was really pissed off because not only did this fool expose little kids to something they don't need to know about, but he made me really late. If you're cowardly enough to take your own life, don't do it in public, OK?

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    Yes, it's really sad.

This was a big problem in the 70's and 80's, by what I can tell. I grew up in Jersey City and went to the public schools there and every year right before summer vacation they would play a graphic film strip to the whole school regarding the dangers of playing by the train tracks. It was actually kind of scaring because they would show a kid being stuck between two cars and his legs bend at an awkward angle. And this was shown to grades 1 to 8.

A couple of weeks ago someone commited suiced by jumping in front of the WTC PATH train. It's just awful.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    When I was in high school in Chicago out in the burbs we drove by a train station right after this old lady had been hit by the commuter train. Apparently she tried to cross the tracks with the guard rail down because she thought it was ok since the train had come to a stop, but as soon as she walked behind that train...BANG!...another one that was running express came through on the next track just as she stepped from behind the parked one. All I saw was smears on the ground and they were carrying her away in a bucket.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    anybody remember that japanese movie where that all girl pop group was responsible for mass suicides and people jumping in front of the trains and shit? I think it was called Suicide Club or something like that. That movie was Fucked up!