Swine Flu : Nevermind, not a big deal after all

Comments

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    When this first hit, I heard an interview with a public health official, and he said we really have no choice but to react strongly (note: I did not say "overeact") and then hope for the best.

A flu epidemic, WHEN it hits (not if) will do serious damage. I would hope governments all over the world work together and take every threat seriously. F*ck it- viruses don't have civil liberties. Torture the F*ck out of 'em, lock 'em out, whatever.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Waterboard the swine flu!

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    When this first hit, I heard an interview with a public health official, and he said we really have no choice but to react strongly (note: I did not say "overeact") and then hope for the best.

A flu epidemic, WHEN it hits (not if) will do serious damage. I would hope governments all over the world work together and take every threat seriously. F*ck it- viruses don't have civil liberties. Torture the F*ck out of 'em, lock 'em out, whatever.

Yup. It's not an overreaction. It's just getting everything in order in case shit gets bad, which we have no way of predicting. It seems, at least for now, this one isn't going in that direction. But had it, governments, health departments, etc were (mostly) ready.

The shitty thing is that most of the public sees this as another Y2K type scare when it was really just the public health community doing their jobs.

btw - the 1918 epidemic started with a relatively mild wave in the spring, only to come seriously F*ck shit up in the Fall / winter. Not saying this will do the same, but we still don't know what will pan out.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    cant the health officials still get prepared and do what they have to do WITHOUT the media painting such a dire picture and getting the easily freaked/stupid to overreact...so school closings dont occur, people dont stop buying things like mexican coffee/products, treating those who have just gotten back from Mexico like pariahs and wanting them quaratined? I would think PSA's reminding people to wash their hands and that a simple mention that flu has broken out and to be careful while the CDC and the health departments do what they have to do without alarming the idiots? I would think we could what we need to do without painting some apocalyptic picture. When things like "the strain might POSSIBLY mutate" being broadcasted, certain alarmist folks only hear "the strain will mutate and we are all going to die" and this is the info that gets passed on, not the reality of the situation...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I'm old enough to remember the first swine flu scare of 1976.

Only one person died from that, and it was the person who caused all this talk in the first place.

cant the health officials still get prepared and do what they have to do WITHOUT the media painting such a dire picture and getting the easily freaked/stupid to overreact...so school closings dont occur, people dont stop buying things like mexican coffee/products, treating those who have just gotten back from Mexico like pariahs and wanting them quaratined? I would think PSA's reminding people to wash their hands and that a simple mention that flu has broken out and to be careful while the CDC and the health departments do what they have to do without alarming the idiots? I would think we could what we need to do without painting some apocalyptic picture. When things like "the strain might POSSIBLY mutate" being broadcasted, certain alarmist folks only hear "the strain will mutate and we are all going to die" and this is the info that gets passed on, not the reality of the situation...

But the school closings were the right thing to do this week given what we knew about the virus (which wasn't much). While it appears to be relatively benign, we didn't know that. We just knew that this was a new virus and highly contagious.

The media, I think, was for the most part pretty good. There were some doomsday headlines, but most of the coverage I saw and read was pretty accurate.

The idiots will be idiots regardless, but I personally don't think there was too much panic. I think, if anything, most people thought this was a huge overreaction. Maybe we have "pandemic fatigue?"

F*ck the media, that is a whole different problem. Up to YOU to ignore that garbage.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    F*ck the media, that is a whole different problem. Up to YOU to ignore that garbage.

All you all are right.
    Someday there will be a pandemic.
    Public health officials have handled this well.
    Media and public, not so much.

I have heard in Japan, school children are targeted for flu shoots, not seniors as in this country.
    The reason is children are packed more closely together, share more personal items, and practice worse hygiene than most populations.
    Thus more at risk.
    Thus more likely to quickly spread a virus.

Can any of our public health majors speak to this?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

exactly, you people should stop watching television. there's a reason it's also called the idiot's window

wow, what a simple idea! Why didnt I think of that!?

I am not an overreacting idiot...my not watching TV/ignoring the media has nothing to do with the overreacting idiots I have to work with and interact with in my day to day life.

But thanks for that suggestion.

I have heard in Japan, school children are targeted for flu shoots, not seniors as in this country.
    The reason is children are packed more closely together, share more personal items, and practice worse hygiene than most populations.
    Thus more at risk.

I haven't heard that. It makes sense when you put it like that, but healthy kids, unless they are really young (under 5 -- generally not in school) don't normally die or have serious flu complications. On the contrary, once you hit 65, the risk of death increases and continues to dramatically every year you age.

But, kids I suppose do spread the virus more. Once they contract it, though, it is generally not dangerous. Unless, like I said, they are really young.

edit: Age-specific flu data could be different in Japan, but in the US this is the case. Japanese tend to be much healthier adults than we are...

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

All you all are right.

Thus more at risk.

In the district where Miles goes kids are required to have yearly flu shots. Same where my wife teaches.

Thus more at risk.

I haven't heard that. It makes sense when you put it like that, but healthy kids, unless they are really young (under 5 -- generally not in school) don't normally die or have serious flu complications. On the contrary, once you hit 65, the risk of death increases and continues to dramatically every year you age.

But, kids I suppose do spread the virus more. Once they contract it, though, it is generally not dangerous. Unless, like I said, they are really young.

edit: Age-specific flu data could be different in Japan, but in the US this is the case. Japanese tend to be much healthier adults than we are...

If the Japanese vaccination model is correct, then the reason is not to prevent death in those vaccinated, but to prevent the spread of the virus.
    Thus protecting the populations most vulnerable to death.

All you all are right.

Thus more at risk.

In the district where Miles goes kids are required to have yearly flu shots. Same where my wife teaches.

I hadn't heard that.
    That's in VA?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

All you all are right.

Thus more at risk.

I hadn't heard that.
    That's in VA?

NJ

I am not an overreacting idiot...my not watching TV/ignoring the media has nothing to do with the overreacting idiots I have to work with and interact with in my day to day life.

Dude, you asked... which indicates that you actually give a shit what the mainstream media thinks, which is your first mistake.

Less antagonizingly...

At this point, CNN, Fox, Local, and just about all TV outlets are worthless for actual news. THEY GET PAID TO OVERREACT TO THIS SHIT! Seriously, they are in a race to the bottom to fill their bullshit 24-hour-news-cycle with attention grabbing headlines to grab eyeballs. And, they're all competing with each other to be BIGGER! LOUDER! MORE FAIR! MORE BALANCED! MORE EXCLUSIVE! MORE BREAKING! MORE NOW! MORE TWITTER!

F*ck man, it's awful... I though NPR did some good coverage of this, as they almost always do. But, shit, pick your sources, and be your own censor. The media is never going to dial down this sensational shit. It is how they get paid. And, most historians would say it's probably always been that way.

The reason is children are packed more closely together, share more perso

Thus more at risk.

If the Japanese vaccination model is correct, then the reason is not to prevent death in those vaccinated, but to prevent the spread of the virus.

It's not that one model is correct or not, it's just a different strategy.

But it is not like we don't try to vaccinate children here in the US -- we definitely do. Perhaps greater emphasis is placed on the elderly because we sometimes run out of vaccine and, given the choice, it is better to save lives than to prevent childhood illness. That's just my guess.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Thus more at risk.

It's not that one model is correct or not, it's just a different strategy.

But it is not like we don't try to vaccinate children here in the US -- we definitely do. Perhaps greater emphasis is placed on the elderly because we sometimes run out of vaccine and, given the choice, it is better to save lives than to prevent childhood illness. That's just my guess.

Might as well just make those old folks into cookies and call it a day.

Or fertilizer, maybe.

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts

That's specie-ist! (need graemlin with a virus saying this)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    i heard on the flight back from taiwan that if you go over there now and show any symptoms of the flu then they will quarantine you for 10 days. i'm going back on friday, but it already looks like people are over the swine flu scare.

Dude, you asked... which indicates that you actually give a shit what the mainstream media thinks, which is your first mistake.

uhhh, no, wrong again...I am concerned how the mainstream media affects the stupid and easily excitable since I have to interact with the stupid and easily excitable...again, just ignoring it does not change this situation. What do you not get about that?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    bringing beef to the pork thread!