insomnia help

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited April 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
i have been having a hell of a time trying to go to sleep at night lately...

what do you guys do to help get sleep...

iam open to any suggestions including pills, if some one could recommend a brand, most of the time i don't care if iam a little late to work but it is horrible when i have a meeting in the morning and i wake up with 10 minutes to get there...

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    ive had insomnia ever since i moved to LA. which was 7 months ago. i got no solutions. people say exercise will help. or some sort of sleep tea herbal shit. neither have worked out well for me. weed does the trick, but then i wake up the next morning foggy as hell.

so i guess what im saying is i can offer you nothing but commiseration. have fun!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    P***y & W**d.....consecutively,in any order...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I used to have horrible insomnia. The only thing that ever helped me was Melatonin. You might not notice immediate change, but after about a week it should help...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Sleep helpers in No Particular Order:

-Sex

-If the above isn't available then do it yourself

-Wine

-Weed

-Nyquil

-Excercise before bed

-Vicodin

-Bikram Yoga

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

-Excercise before bed

This does the opposite for me. Endorphins keep me up all night.

• what about meditation/ yoga relaxation?

Get a book on it... I've never had consistent insomnia, but whenever I can't fall asleep, it's because my mind is racing. Meditation is the practice of emptying your mind.

Try it

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Melatonin

This works and is available in most vitamin sections, it can kinda ef with your head though.

Melatonin

This works and is available in most vitamin sections, it can kinda ef with your head though.

yeah, I've heard this. It's cool though, cause you can usually stop once you sleeping OK for a bit.

• No caffeine or sugar after 6PM
    Give yourself time to wind down before trying to sleep (read, chill, whatever)
    If that doesn't work pop a Tylenol PM. I find them helpful...

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    exercise 2 hrs priors to attempting to sleep is not a good idea, you'll be up for much longer.

now, insomnia...my experiences with it has taught me to chill out! a combination nervousness, anxiety and whatever other words can contribute to this condition.

don't let shit control you, you control the shit

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Melatonin

so i'll be like jeff

really what do you mean by fucking with my head?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    weed does the trick, but then i wake up the next morning foggy as hell.

i also have insomnia, sucks, but urb seems to do the trick for me as well, i just have this feeling that if i sleep, im sleeping, got a lot on my plate & sleep gets in the way... double edged sword... my homie takes pills bro, i dont suggest it, causes way more shit than you wanna deal w/... stick to natural shit, try a local herb store & have them suggest some shit, like camomille (sp?) or others...

good luck...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Lavender and California poppy are two really good teas to combat sleeplessness.
    Some people put dabs of lavender oil on their pillow case or tuck satchels of dried lavender in their pillow case. Lavender is the most effective for the most people, but not 100% for everyone.
    Exercise is a big key - you should try to do at least 30 minutes of exercise a day to tire you out.
    Also, don't eat or do work right before bed.
    Lie on your back and breathe slowly and deeply as you relax your body and try to think about nada.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    Melatonin

so i'll be like jeff

Personally, when I used melatonin the only "fucking with my head" I noticed is that I was having a lot more dreams. Like, I started consistently remembering dreams I had, and normally I don't really remember any at all. That's the only thing I ever noticed about it though.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    [*] Restrict sleeping hours to the same nightly pattern.
    [*] Control bedtime stimuli so that things normally associated with sleep are only associated with sleep.
    [*] Avoid ingesting substances with stimulant properties in the evening.
    [*] Consider meditation or progressive muscle relaxation.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    No caffeine or sugar after 6PM
    Give yourself time to wind down before trying to sleep (read, chill, whatever)
    If that doesn't work pop a Tylenol PM. I find them helpful...

I hate taking medicine of any kind (it's the new age hippie in me), but once I took one of these when I couldn't sleep and the damn thing kept me up!

This is also coming from a person that gets headaches when they drink coffee, not when they stop.

***Related hi-jack***
    I stopped drinking coffee and it is the best damn thing in the world! I have supplemented Green Tea (the good stuff...unfucking believable) and I can't recommend this any higher (this deserves it's own thread)
    I have so much freaking energy, it's out of control

**end hi-jack...for now***

Melatonin

so i'll be like jeff

Personally, when I used melatonin the only "fucking with my head" I noticed is that I was having a lot more dreams. Like, I started consistently remembering dreams I had, and normally I don't really remember any at all. That's the only thing I ever noticed about it though.

co-sign.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Melatonin

so i'll be like jeff

It's really hard to describe, it's like there are tinges of chemcials going through your head that are there when you are dreaming. This stuff will work though...It's used for jet lag because it resets your 'sleep clock'. Try it a couple times, it won't make your mind melt or anything... you may only need to take it once or twice.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    http://www.hylands.com/products/calmsforte.php

This has been a #1 bestsller in the Health Food Business for 10+ years.

If that means anything.

Ive tried it, it seems to help.

Its homeopathic (No Homeo!)

• I've been having the same problem since I've moved to NYC.. I've always been sort of nocturnal but this shit's been killing me lately. Can't sleep at night, can't wake up in the morning, I get to work and I feel like the living dead until I leave and then I'm wired. My mind races when I'm trying to fall asleep and I always feel like I'm wasting precious hours by sleeping.
    I don't really like smoking the ganj anymore.. It actually makes my mind race even more...
    I got a bottle of acetominaphen with "sleep aid" from Duane Reade and they work pretty well but I don't like relying on an over the counter drug for sleep.. Afraid of getting addicted and I usually feel like shit when I wake up.
    I'm gonna try some melatonin, my parents used to give it to me and I never felt like it actually did anything but I guess it couldn't hurt to try again.

Man, back when I was doing landscaping, I used to sleep like a baby. Physical labor throughout the day plus being outside was great for me.. Now I sit in front of a computer screen in a tiny office with no windows and I'm constantly stressed. Go figure..

• I highly recommend taking Kava, also known as Kava Kava. You can find it at most health food stores. Yes, the FDA issued a warning about possible liver damage, but you'd have to take MASSIVE amounts to do any harm, and even that is speculative. At any rate, it's much safer than say, alcohol.

People in the South Pacific have been having kava nakamals (ceremonies) for centuries. I have some friends who spent a lot of time in Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Western Samoa, and Vanuatu. They all came back raving about kava. If you take the pills or tincture, you just mellow out and get a very, very deep sleep. Like, I don't move at all in the night. I take it when I have to gig during the week and know that I won't get anywhere near 8 hours of sleep.

Taking it the traditional way (basically making a tea right from roots) is a very different experience. You get faaaaaaded. And it tastes like pond water.

Oh, and if you start exercising regularly, you'll probably sleep more soundly.

Nigh-nigh.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I've been using Valerian Root pills for my insomnia for quite some time. Works like a charm, but be forwarned: my wife says the pills smell like old gym socks. They are available at most Health Food/Vitamin stores...

For more info, read this:

http://www.1001herbs.com/valerian/

SG

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I've been using Valerian Root pills for my insomnia for quite some time. Works like a charm, but be forwarned: my wife says the pills smell like old gym socks. They are available at most Health Food/Vitamin stores...

SG

Woah, I remember 'recreationally' modifying this to be superpotent and a friend tried it and ended up sleeping for like 72 hours.

Kava kava is good

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

SG

Woah, I remember 'recreationally' modifying this to be superpotent and a friend tried it and ended up sleeping for like 72 hours.

Kava kava is good

Yes... Valerian root can knock you out if you want it to - usually, I wake up when I 'm supposed to and feel superb, but there have been a few occasions in which I went back to sleep after initially waking up...only to wake up again 10 hours later!

(this happens only on weekends/holidays in which I have absolutely nothing to do or have no pressing reasons to get out of bed)

SG

• Hey 3rdstream! Try reading one of these when you go to bed every night! Guaranteed to put you[/b] to sleep!

• cosign on the herb
    i would recommend the tylenol pms but they make me groggy as shit the next day. they do work though.
    i got a friend who drinks a coke right before bed, hes got a 6 pack a day habit.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    thanx to all you for the info, looks like iam gonna have a busy night...

1.45 minutes on a stair machine
    2.make a booty call
    3.have some kava kava tea with some other heral shit
    4.hit the bong
    5.hit the booty call
    6.cum on a picture of noam chomsky
    7.sleep

this might work

• It's really hard to describe, it's like there are tinges of chemcials going through your head that are there when you are dreaming. This stuff will work though...It's used for jet lag because it resets your 'sleep clock'. Try it a couple times, it won't make your mind melt or anything... you may only need to take it once or twice.

Melatonin gives me horrible nightmares. Not the first few nights, but after about a week of use. Really terrible.

• thanx to all you for the info, looks like iam gonna have a busy night...

2.make a booty call
    4.hit the bong
    5.hit the booty call
    7.sleep

this might work

if you can combine #7 w/ the yoga you're golden (no shower)

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

2.make a booty call
    4.hit the bong
    5.hit the booty call
    7. ice cold Barqs root beer[/b]
    8.sleep