marion brown

plattenhainerplattenhainer 38 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
what is your favorite album that is not too far out?

Comments

• he was a free jazz musician; everything he did was "out".

check out: "sweet flying earth" on impulse. its one his later, slept on titles and it has some electric piano and his more easily obtainable ecm "evening of a georgia faun" album the latter of which is sort of a musical genre unto itself.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    define 'out'.

• thanks a lot for the tip, i'll gladly look into that one. what about his japan/baystate/trio work?

• define 'out'

tough question. i can only know it when i hear it.

although, i guess he had some songs and albums that featured arrangements and overdubs which i wouldn;t realy associate with free-jazz but then again, why not. the early ornette coleman albums had some written parts and they edited it later so who is to say what 'out' really is...

i guess that this fellow is looking for marion brown's equivalent to ayler's "new grass"

i listened to a track by zenzile feat. marion brown and liked what brown contributed to it (i then realized that i didn't pay any attention to marion brown so far). avoiding to give any definition of "out", i wanted to ask if you know similar work as the one with zenzile?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Porto Novo is a pretty solid LP too, haven't listened to it in a while but I like it. And cosign on Sweet Earth Flying.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Porto Novo

Drums sound crazy on that record.

• thanks a lot, your help is much appreciated!!!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Afternoon of a Georgia Faun is way out.

Try it you might like it.

• awallawall 673 Posts

• on my search i just stumbled on a record by marion brown called "vista". it's from 1975 and from what i could hear, it's pretty much what i was looking for. thanks again!!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    He's not all that out, relatively speaking. I mean, even his ESP records are some of the tamer jazz titles on the label.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

^^^^^ my favorite - great mellow track with Jeanne Lee

• thanks a lot for the tip, i'll gladly look into that one. what about his japan/baystate/trio work?

that shit is OUT

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    This is an all-time favourite

and it's been eaten by my collection... I've been trying to find it for a while now.

just saw that yur already tipped to it, cool.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i guess that this fellow is looking for marion brown's equivalent to ayler's "new grass"

To reiterate: "Geechee Recollections", "Sweet Earth Flying" and "Vista" seems to be what you're looking for.

• To reiterate: "Geechee Recollections", "Sweet Earth Flying" and "Vista" seems to be what you're looking for.

many thanks again for all your suggestions!

that's what i found "out" so far:

i am quite into this one (with stanley cowell!!!):

• awallawall 673 Posts

^^^^^ my favorite - great mellow track with Jeanne Lee

hey, that's my desk!