TYSON

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Has there already been a thread on this?If not, here's one. This movie rules. Mike Tyson is the last great boxing champ. In his prime he was unstoppable, and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Muhammad Ali and legends of that caliber. Watch it.

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I need to see this and the Spike directed KB flick.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    film is great, DLed a few weeks back,,, i love tyson and know what you mean, but he never had the heart of Ali

a great talent, not a great champ... when the chips were down, mike could never get going... sad... he was the 80's like Ali was late 60's, early 70's...

but, yes, highly recommended, not even for boxing fans...

• Yeah, i loved the doc...watched it a few times actually. Recommended.

• bestest sports doc evah!

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    where do you download it from?

• Go to google video and search "Tyson documentary"..make sure you change the results to show videos over 20 minutes. Scroll down until you see the orange Tyson thumbnail. Click on it and it will take you to a page that is streaming it....

or at least that's where I watched it multiple times a week or two ago.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Has there already been a thread on this?

If not, here's one. This movie rules. Mike Tyson is the last great boxing champ. In his prime he was unstoppable, and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Muhammad Ali and legends of that caliber.

Watch it.

Yeah I saw it last week. I used have opinion that Tyson is a great fighter, who had isses that wont resolved, who was skilled but wasnt too smart and got played by alot of ppl cus of it as well as making dumb mistakes'...

But that movie shows him to be much more articulate and aware than I imagined. Obviously he's grown and matured alot, but he has a whole lot more brains (and feelings) than ppl (like me) gave him credit for.

It was funny hearing about Ali showing him love though, cus I read a indepth article on Tyson years ago and Ali was claiming Tyson could never be as good as him because he didnt have the brains for it....

If you love Tyson, should watch this. If you hate him, then you should definitely watcch it...it will change your mind IMO.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Please make a Tyson reality show! Pearls of wisdom for days!!!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    But that movie shows him to be much more articulate and aware than I imagined. Obviously he's grown and matured alot, but he has a whole lot more brains (and feelings) than ppl (like me) gave him credit for.

Just watched this and that was what struck me too. I don't know if I'd say "articulate," but yeah dude definitely has more going on upstairs than his "eat your children" image and actions would have you believe. Pretty quick throughout, and pretty thoughtful and analytical in the contemporary interviews, just reflecting on his lifetime of destructive and impulsive behavior.

Not a big boxing fan, but the 80's footage really seems to makes it clear he is among the GOAT...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Not a big boxing fan, but the 80's footage really seems to makes it clear he is among the GOAT...

big fish, small pond... pinklon thomas, bulked up M. Spinx, old Larry Holmes, and Tony Tubbs aren't Frazier, Foreman, and Liston...

i love Tyson, but in his prime he never fought a GOAT opponent in their prime... i think circ 88 Tyson would give ANY heavyweight ever a serious test, but there is no way to prove it based on his opponents... sad,,, my dream fight is 73 Foreman vs 88 Tyson...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I really enjoyed the movie, Tyson is one of the most interesting, tragic figures of the last 20 years. I was surprised and impressed at how brutally self critical he is.

As far as the whole GOAT arguement goes, it's so hard to compare eras and who fought what competition, but I think that if I were a boxer, the person I would least want to face in their prime has to be Iron Mike. The combination of speed, strength, ferocity and technique he had in 1987-88 was just unreal.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    if I were a boxer, the person I would least want to face in their prime has to be Iron Mike. The combination of speed, strength, ferocity and technique he had in 1987-88 was just unreal.

Hey, even as a non-boxer, I'd be scared.

• dmadma 36 Posts
    This film is great. Tyson is at once totally misunderstood and the cause of(some)of his problems. He can be totally articulate and gentle at times, and the next dude's a monster. Really good film. Impetuous.

• kubkub 46 Posts
    I really enjoyed the movie, Tyson is one of the most interesting, tragic figures of the last 20 years. I was surprised and impressed at how brutally self critical he is.

decades of intense psychoanalysis, i guess. i was amazed aswell.

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    It was all down hill when he met King and Gibbons. It's crazy because he actually has some smart things to say when he is not walking on the edge throughout the documentary.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Man, could things get any worse for poor dude??

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/box_tyson_s_daughter_injured

Tyson daughter 'extremely critical' after accident
    AP

Buzz Up
    * Send
    o Email
    o IM
    o Delicious
    o Digg
    o Facebook
    o Fark
    o Newsvine
    o Reddit
    o StumbleUpon
    o Technorati
    o Yahoo! Bookmarks
    * Print

FILE - In this file photo taken on Monday, Sept. 24, 2007, former heavyweight AP ??? FILE - In this file photo taken on Monday, Sept. 24, 2007, former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson ???

* Mike Tyson Slideshow:Mike Tyson
    * Mike Tyson's Daughter, 4, On Life Support Play Video Video:Mike Tyson's Daughter, 4, On Life Support CBS 2 / KCAL 9 Los Angeles

By AMANDA LEE MYERS, Associated Press Writer Amanda Lee Myers, Associated Press Writer ??? Tue May 26, 9:43 am ET

PHOENIX ??? The near-fatal strangulation of boxer Mike Tyson's 4-year-old daughter appears to be a "tragic accident," police say.

Exodus Tyson was on life support Tuesday after apparently accidentally hanging herself on a cord dangling from a treadmill in her modest central Phoenix home.

"Somehow she was playing on this treadmill, and there's a cord that hangs under the console ??? it's kind of a loop," police Sgt. Andy Hill said. "Either she slipped or put her head in the loop, but it acted like a noose, and she was obviously unable to get herself off of it."

Exodus' 7-year-old brother found her Monday and told their mother, who was in another room. She took Exodus off the cord, called 911 and tried to revive her.

Responding officers and firefighters performed CPR on Exodus as they rushed her to a nearby hospital, where she was in "extremely critical condition" and on life support, Hill said.

Hill said former heavyweight champion Tyson, 42, had been in Las Vegas but flew to Phoenix immediately after learning of the accident.

"The Tyson family would like to extend our deepest and most heartfelt thanks for all your prayers and support, and we ask that we be allowed our privacy at this difficult time," the boxer said in a statement.

Brief footage from local TV station KTVK showed Tyson arriving at the hospital in a white button-up and black pants, and looking around with a frown before going inside.

Hill said everything in the investigation pointed to a "tragic accident," adding that calls involving children is an officer's most difficult duty.

"Those are the things that stay with you in your career," he said. "We always hope for a miracle ??? not to have the worst happen to a child."

Neighbors said they were surprised and saddened when they heard what had happened.

"It's terrible," said Abby St. Jermain, who grew up in the neighborhood and is house-sitting for her parents down the street. "The kids are so sweet. We always see them riding their bikes, playing. They've just been wonderful people."

Dinka Radic, who lives across the street, described Exodus as smart and sweet.

"The little girl, she says 'You got chocolate in your house?'" Radic said. "I say 'Yes,' and she says, 'OK, give me some.'"

When she gives the girl the chocolate, Radic said "she just kisses me on my knees. Kiss, kiss, kiss. Very nice."