SWINE FLU. KEY FACTS

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Can it be spread through the mail? Should I stop buying records from Mexico?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    But are they really? Mexico is Top 3 in both imports and exports.

It's funny that in one thread we can disparage and succumb to media hype.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Realistically what's the worse case scenario?

major diarrhea for a week!

• Realistically what's the worse case scenario?

major diarrhea for a week!

My revenge is COMPLETE!!!![/b]

It's the Aporkalypse.

God is angry

• Ummmm out of all the U.S. cases so far.... only 1 required hospitalization.

remind me how this is different from say.......the flu?
    because its from mexico and america is scared of anything mexican from mexico

Because it is a new flu strain (for humans) and the human population has no (or very little) natural immunity. This makes it more contagious and potentially more dangerous. No one seems to be getting too sick from it yet (and that may be the case until it passes), but it looks like a lot of folks are going to get it and old folks, children, and the immunocompromised) could be particularly vulnerable.

For what it is worth, here is a "Flu Outbreak Guide" from my schoo (Johns Hopkins School of Public Health)

http://www.jhsph.edu/flu/familyguide.html

Pandemic Influenza (Flu) Guide for Individuals and Families
    Developed by the Johns Hopkins Office of Critical Event Preparedness and Response

Download PDF versison

An influenza (flu) pandemic is a widespread outbreak of disease that occurs when a new flu virus appears that people have not been exposed to before. Pandemics are different from seasonal outbreaks of influenza. Seasonal flu outbreaks are caused by viruses that people have already been exposed to; flu shots are available to help prevent widespread illness, and impacts on society are less severe. Pandemic flu spreads easily from person to person and can cause serious illness because people do not have immunity to the new virus.

A pandemic may come and go in waves, each of which can last for months at a time. Everyday life could be disrupted due to people in communities across the country becoming ill at the same time. These disruptions could include everything from school and business closings to interruption of basic services such as public transportation and health care. An especially severe influenza pandemic could lead to high levels of illness, death, social disruption, and economic loss.

This guide is designed to help you understand the threat of a pandemic flu outbreak in our country and your community. It describes common sense actions that you can take in preparing for a pandemic. As you plan, it is important to think about the challenges that you might face, particularly if a pandemic is severe. It may take time to find the answers to these challenges so it???s important to start getting ready now.

BE PREPARED
    It is important to start getting ready now for the challenges that you might face if a pandemic occurs.

Schools and day care centers may be closed for an extended period of time.

* Make sure you have a back-up plan if schools and day care centers are closed.

Other businesses may be closed.

* Banking and credit services may be interrupted. You may have to pay for goods and services with cash.

Transportation services may be disrupted.

* Consider other ways to get to work if you usually rely on the bus or subway.

Families may find it hard to keep in touch.

* Create a family communication plan.

Shortages of food, supplies and water may occur.

* Consider stocking at least a two week supply (preferably more) of water and non-perishable food, which is refreshed, according to expiration date. This can be helpful in power outages and disasters.
    * Gather emergency and other supplies. See www.hopkinspanflu.org for details.

General Disaster Supplies
    chart1

STAY HEALTHY

* Get your seasonal flu shot to keep you baseline healthy. (NOTE: A seasonal flu shot will not protect you from a new virus strain like the avian flu, but can keep you healthier.)
    * Eat a balanced diet, exercise in moderation and get plenty of rest.
    * Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand cleaner, like Purell??.
    * Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
    * Put used tissues in a waste basket, not in your purse or pocket.
    * Use a surgical mask if you are instructed to do so, especially when taking care of others who are sick.
    * Practice ???social distancing??? by limiting the amount of face-to-face contact you have with people. (Use the telephone or email and avoid places where crowds may gather such as cafeterias, restaurants, public transportation, etc.)
    * Frequently clean commonly used surfaces such as counters, railings, washbasins/toilets, telephones, computer mouse, grocery cart handles with disinfectant.

To make water drinkable: Bring water to a rolling boil for 4-5 minutes.
    To avoid dehydration drink Gatorade?? or make your own electrolyte drink: 1 quart or litre of water; 1 level tsp. of table salt; 2 level tbs. sugar (do not use artificial sweetners). Mix well until sugar is dissolved. Solution may be served at room temperature but do not boil.
    Make your own disinfectant: Mix 1 gallon water with 1/4 cup of bleach. Store in a labeled and closed container.
    chart2

TAKING CARE OF OTHERS

* Provide plenty of fluids. Avoid alcohol and beverages with caffeine, as these dehydrate people.
    * Keep patient clean, dry, warm and isolated from others in the house.
    * Reassure patient that you will take care of him/her.
    * Take the patient???s temperature morning and evening and keep a record. Give fever???reducing medication such as acetaminophen (e.g., Tylenol???) or ibuprofen (e.g., Advil???, Motrin??? or other). Aspirin may be used but must be avoided by anyone under age 20.
    * Consider a lukewarm water sponge bath or tub bath to help reduce fever.
    * Encourage gargling with warm salt water or using throat lozenges to help reduce throat pain.
    * To ease sore throat pain, offer ice cream, sherbet, popsicles or sorbets.
    * Every 2 ??? 3 hours, help patient change position in bed and take brief walks around the room to avoid chest congestion. In addition, have patient take 4-5 slow, deep breaths and try to cough.
    * For nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, offer clear liquid diet and small sips of fluids with electrolytes. Give ice chips, liquids, and avoid acidic drinks such as citrus or cranberry juice.
    * Call a health care provider if patient has: confusion or extreme irritability; difficulty breathing or chest pain with each breath; cough producing frothy or red saliva; bluish skin; stiff neck; inability to move arm or leg or first-time seizure.
    * See a health care provider if high or worrisome fever develops. Guidelines for fever are:
    - Infants under 3 months ??? a fever of 100.4??F or above taken rectally
    - Children from 3 months to 2 years ??? a fever of 103??F or above
    - Children over 2 years to adults ??? a fever of 104??F or above

Sources: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, ???Now is the time to prepare. Your Guide to Pandemic Flu Care in the Home??? Howard County General Hospital, Howard County Health Department and the Horizon Foundation, U.S. National Security Agency

References: For additional information, please see www.hopkinspanflu.org and www.pandemicflu.gov.

GET WELL FAST

Symptoms of the flu include fever, headache, muscle aches/pains, intense fatigue, inflammation of the respiratory tract, sore throat and cough, nausea, vomiting. Some flu-like symptoms may not always be present in the elderly or in young children. If you are sick, call your Supervisor or Manager and then stay home! Seek medical attention if your symptoms are severe.

Sources: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. National Security Agency.

References: For additional information, please see the CEPAR website www.hopkins-cepar.org and www.pandemicflu.gov.

Public Affairs media contacts for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health: Tim Parsons at 410-955-7619 or [email]tmparson@jhsph.edu.[/email]

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    You can NOT get the Swine Flu from eating or cooking pork....this is a myth.

thank god, I ate about 2LBs of Andoullie this weekend...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This just in.....................We're all doomed!

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    Maybe this will at least get people to wash their hands properly after using the washroom. I doubt it, though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've heard that if you use gel hand sanitizers you should still rinse your hands, if you can't rinse use paper towels to thoroughly wipe off your hands.
    You want to physically rinse or wipe those viruses off.

My in laws watch tv news all day.
    The watch local news (If it bleeds it leads) and foxnews.
    They are scared all the time.
    Currently my wife has a cold, they are afraid it is the swineflu.
    They think we are about to lose our home. It is paid off.
    They keep asking if we are still working/getting paid.
    They hear that everyone is unemployed, foreclosed and sick with the pigbug, it's hard for them to believe we are ok.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    the pigbug

YES

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm assuming this has been assigned public service status so here is a tip.

If you are indeed going to wear a face mask make sure it is a "Hepa" mask.

http://www.onlineallergyrelief.com/masks/masks.html

Those painter or dust masks are like putting a screen window in front of your mouth as viruses are of sub-micron size and will penetrate right through those suckers.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    the pigbug

YES

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    The WHO just upped the alert level for Swine Flu to Level 4. Joy.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The WHO just upped the alert level for Swine Flu to Level 4. Joy.

- If you hear the WHO has declared a pandemic stage 4, that's going to be a hassle. The scale is out of six, we have been at stage three or equiv since at least 2004 cause of bird flu (limited human to human transmission), but stage 4 means increased human to human transmission and we'll have to start border control at the airports. Means a lot of cost/hassle to world transport and trade.

Here we go...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    has anyone who has been infected recovered?

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    has anyone who has been infected recovered?

Most have Day. There have been only confirmed deaths in Mexico and depending on which source you read there have been only 20-150 deaths with over a thousand cases where the victim has recovered.

There have been no deaths and only one known hospitalization in the US, so far. From all accounts I have read the cases have been very mild.

Additionally confirmed cases of swine flu have been found in Spain, Israel, Hong Kong, New Zeland, and a few other countries. But again, no deaths have been attributed to it.

So far this version of Swine Flu hasn't gone buck wild outside of Mexico and they are not sure why. The danger is that as it moves through populations it might mutate into a more virulent form. As this version has not hit human populations before there is no natural resistance to it (if you has a flu shot last fall its not going to do shit).

I am not freaking out yet, but I am starting to gather materials if things do go bad. I picked up some N95 rated masks (I am trying to source some medical grade ones on the net), the wife and I are going to stock up on food in case we need to restrict movement, and I am going to make sure I keep washing my hands regularly and have hand sanitizer when a wash room is not avaialable.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
    Human sacrifice, pigs and cats living together... mass hysteria!!!

• Realistically what's the worse case scenario?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    RAT + CAT + DOG = HOG!

On Martin don't be startin' up no shit with Kam!

He's so clever with his rhymes.

Yes, it's true: this man has no dick.

Did you hear the rumor circulating that swine flu was created by the government and injected into bacon to eliminate fat people?

freaky.

If this is to be believe dlevel 4 still isn't a very big deal. How many other illnesses fit a level 4?

Just watch out if you see these guys coming to test your village watering hole.

I think it's time for me to refill the moat and stock it with alligators.

I think it's time for me to refill the moat and stock it with alligators.

We had avian flu and now the swine flu. You'll just be ushering in the alligator flu.

Actually I wonder how many cities permit moats around private residences. I would think it would be tough to get home insurance with that sort of hazard.

Update from my brother:

For good info check out these sites:
    http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/ - no bullshit site, ahead of the media[/b]
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/panflu/ - independent news site
    http://www.newfluwiki2.com/frontPage.do
    Reuters alertnet is good, I've had a RSS feed from that and also the world health organisation for ages, that's how I've been tracking bird flu.

A lot of panic around, Expect a lot of "potential" cases because it's the very start of flu season anyway. Anyone with a cold will be rushing to the doctor.[/b]

All the world experts are really confused about why people aren't dying.[/b] The mexican strain has about 10% case fatality so you would have expected at least one or two from other countries to be dead, but that's not happening. No real answer why and depending on who you talk to it could be a good or bad sign.[/b]

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=116

Brief article about the 1918 Spanish Influenza outbreak.

Says 1/4 of the country was sick with it.

Only 548,000 died though. About half a percent.

So, if it makes you guys feel any better even if it is as bad as that, at least you would only have a 1 in 200 chance of dying!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

All the world experts are really confused about why people aren't dying. The mexican strain has about 10% case fatality [/b] so you would have expected at least one or two from other countries to be dead, but that's not happening. No real answer why and depending on who you talk to it could be a good or bad sign.

this seems wrong to me... mexico city pop. = 8 million... 150 dead... only 1500 cases out of 8 million people???????

All the world experts are really confused about why people aren't dying. The mexican strain has about 10% case fatality [/b] so you would have expected at least one or two from other countries to be dead, but that's not happening. No real answer why and depending on who you talk to it could be a good or bad sign.

this seems wrong to me... mexico city pop. = 8 million... 150 dead... only 1500 cases out of 8 million people???????

The mexican strain has about 10% case[/b] fatality

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I'm sick of this, always trotting out something new to scare people.