Joaquin Phoenix as.....Johnny Cash!?

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited July 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
when the fuck did Johnny Cash ever have a hairlip?

Comments

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    AND a squeaky voice

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    He sings the songs in the film... Saw the trailer.. Looks like a good job to tell you the truth.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    T.N.T. !!! Nobody messes with Toby N.Tucker haha.

just watched it...not buyin it. He's too slimy looking to do Johnny. And Reese Witherspoon as June Carter???? ummmmmmmmmmmmm, no. Whoever did casting on this one should get shot.

just for the sensitive folk out there...I have NOTHING against hairlips, but that's like casting a guy with a normal nose to play Michael Jackson. I'm not buying it. I like to believe the movies I watch. I remember seeing pics of Johnny back from the Fulsom County days and he was NEVER that scrawny. Dude always looked like a farmhand from what I remember.

Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison, I bought that

I know there's more but I can't think right now.

I'll give you Witherspoon... Not liking her playing that part at all.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

really?????? i thought he was too much of a mouth breather pretty boy for that. morrison was a bit of a pretty boy, too, but more greasy/sleazy.

i just have a hate-on for kilmer - he is so hard to take.

what did you think of johnny depp as hunter s thompson?

You must love the whole Kilmer thing going on for the last year or so in the city huh?

really?????? i thought he was too much of a mouth breather pretty boy for that. morrison was a bit of a pretty boy, too, but more greasy/sleazy.

what did you think of johnny depp as hunter s thompson?

yeah but Kilmer looked a lot like him, same build, same hair, and had a similar voice. Joaquin is doing that voice like he has to tuck his chin down for every sentence just to get that lower octave...lame.

LOVED Depp as Hunter S. It was WAY over the top, but I expected that.

Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles, totally bought that.

You must love the whole Kilmer thing going on for the last year or so in the city huh?

he's a perfect candidate for ironic street art. it's his acting that's hard to take.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

LOVED Depp as Hunter S. It was WAY over the top, but I expected that.

Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles, totally bought that.

Jim Grimshaw as Chief Justice William Rehnquist in the People v. Larry Flynt: bought that. But Rand Hopkins as Justice Scalia? C'mon...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    foxx=ray? okay
    kilmer=morrison? totally
    depp=thompson? not really
    phoenix=cash? fuck no!... let johnny's corpse cool down a bit.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    you think that's bad, look at a production still

I was waiting for you to chime in on this one

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Is this a straight to video thing.

I always thought Phoenix was a good actor, but isn't he a pretty boy. Cash was never a pretty boy, and he came up in the days of pretty boy singers.

Why are actors so egocentric that they think they can sing better than the singers they are portraying? Why do directors think actors sing better than singers? Foxx was great, you never knew when it was Ray or Foxx playing singing, but that was the exception.

I have a great video called Johnny Cash A Man And His Music. Documentary, about '69? No voice overs, or identifications of anyone. The first 15 minutes is Johnny torturing animals. Lots of concert and backstage footage. There is a scene back stage at Memorial Colluseum Portland OR with Buzz Martin singing Johnny a song. A prison scene with the Carter Family and June telling the prisoners to get their hands out of their pants. A scene of Johnny touring Wounded Knee. Forget hollywood shlock and find this film of raw footage.

Dan.

umm...he may not be johnny cash but he's not hard on the eyes either.

Who would have played a good Cash?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Several women I know are having a hard time keeping it together upon hearing of Phoenix' role in this movie.

I was gonna ask, I mean it is hollywood, as a producer I would think this is a no-brainer. Who else would have been good?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I think Depp woulda been a good cash...he certainly could look more like him than Peonix....

the making of this movie was a pain in the ass for me...I live a block from Sun studio and they would shut the fucking street down for long stretches and I would be trapped at home, I wouldnt be able to leave(in a car anyway)...it would fuck up your day, thats for sure.

There hasnt been a good movie made in this city since Mystery Train...

I think Depp woulda been a good cash...he certainly could look more like him than Peonix....

the making of this movie was a pain in the ass for me...I live a block from Sun studio and they would shut the fucking street down for long stretches and I would be trapped at home, I wouldnt be able to leave(in a car anyway)...it would fuck up your day, thats for sure.

I was BESIDE MYSELF when I ate at the Arcade. It had been renovated, but I didn't care.

• you think that's bad, look at a production still

Anyone who looks more like Tobey Maguire than Johnny Cash shouldn't be playing Johnny Cash.

Anyone who looks more like Tobey Maguire than Johnny Cash shouldn't be playing Johnny Cash.

no. he does not look like tobey maguire.

do you guys think michael madsen is too pretty to play cash? jonny knoxville is a shit "actor" but he does look a bit like him and he's a huge fan of Johnny cash.

Several women I know are having a hard time keeping it together upon hearing of Phoenix' role in this movie.

I was gonna ask, I mean it is hollywood, as a producer I would think this is a no-brainer. Who else would have been good?

I was BESIDE MYSELF when I ate at the Arcade. It had been renovated, but I didn't care.

yeah, sometime in 94 or so some hippies bought it...they have shit like tabouli and other hippy food on the menu now...I have nothin against hippy food, but it doesnt belong in the Arcade...man before the ownership changed hands, they had some kick ass fried chicken....but they still come correct with the buckwheat pancakes, so I occaisonly go and I make sure I always sit in the "Rufus Thomas" booth(he used to eat there a whole lot, and it is the booth he always sat in)

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I just wish they wouldn't use a recognizeable face in movies like this. I always tend to see the actor and not necessarily the role they are playing. I had that problem with The Aviator, which even thoughit was better than i expected, Leonardo was Leonardo not howard Hughes...

On the flip side it is hollywood, and they are trying to make money and I think JP hit the nail on the ehad because all the aldies are going to go nuts and see this because of Phoenix, where as if they were not interested in Johnny Cash they probably would have passed on this movie. Dolla Dolla bill yall.

yeah, sometime in 94 or so some hippies bought it...they have shit like tabouli and other hippy food on the menu now...I have nothin against hippy food, but it doesnt belong in the Arcade...man before the ownership changed hands, they had some kick ass fried chicken....but they still come correct with the buckwheat pancakes, so I occaisonly go and I make sure I always sit in the "Rufus Thomas" booth(he used to eat there a whole lot, and it is the booth he always sat in)

which booth?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    jonny knoxville is a shit "actor" but he does look a bit like him and he's a huge fan of Johnny cash.
    didn't he already play a friend of graham parsons?

which booth?

it is towards the back on the window side, it has a little plaque with "rufus thomas" engraved on it...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Chris Isaak? Lyle Lovett? Jamie Foxx, he's a great mimic, singer and musician. He looks no less like Johnny Cash than Phoenix does.

Dan

jonny knoxville is a shit "actor" but he does look a bit like him and he's a huge fan of Johnny cash.
    didn't he already play a friend of graham parsons?

how was he in it?