BEST Rap shows you've attended

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Here are some of the best I've seen:RUN DMC every time I saw them in the 80s. Big Daddy Kane - STILL kills it live at every showJurassic 5 always had great live shows. The old school MC routines and the Cut Chemist and Numark DJ routines were sick. I never liked their albums, but their live shows never disappointed.De La Soul has always been good live.I know some people will bring the hatt, but The Roots were dope the last few times I saw them.Plaese to add on to the list..........

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Cosign to all those, I liked the first 2 J5 records though.
    I'd add:
    Tribe most of the time, except for one show I saw where they were super salty about the
    crowds lack of "hype" and spent most of the time berating us for it.
    Apparently we were supposed to entertain them.
    The Pharcyde when they were all there were pretty good.
    J-Live killed it the couple times I saw him.
    As far as local guys go, the Lifesavas put on an excellent show.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Edan put on one of the most entertaining and well thought out shows i have seen. Same goes for UD.
    As far as older acts, i would say Public Enemy. Still such a strong live show after all these years.
    I also loved seeing a girl heckling Madlib, yelling "get off the mic" and him responding "mumble mumble, shut the F*ck up birdhead! mumble muble"

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Onyx
    Busta Rhymes

• double trouble in 81'...white tuxedos and all.
    bdp in 88... there was about 15 heads at the venue (gang members) bdp rocking the leather outfits from the by all means lp...d nice was spinning.

atcq/ organized in 92, gangstarr/kmd. cosign on run dmc, de la and busta. him and spliff are beasts on stage, they make it look so natural.

every year in boston, the city throws a free concert. usually about 3000 ppl come out... from epmd, chubb rock, special ed,slick rick, bdk, nice n smooth, mc lyte, and rakim. nice n smooth DESTROY shows. rakims dj couldnt get eric b for president to play.....outs of nowhere greg nice saves the day and beatboxes for rakim.
    i got mad footage on my camera phone that wont upload for some reason.
    those shows are nuts. this years will be off the hook.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The first Roots show in SF at Bimbo's.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    EPMD last friday night was off the chain!!!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn, i have never seen nice and smoothe....wish i coul go back in time and see them at their peak.

i saw PE last year and they were ridiculously good.

i saw pharcyde and roots in nyc once and it ended up being hosted by Dewars, so there were DEwar girls bringing drink samples to everyone. then the wu got on stage and got in a fight with everyone.

seen the roots play a million times...since bak when they were the squareroots and they are always top shelf

wish ida seen this:

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    why are all those dudes on stage with kane??? get the F*ck off the stage, checking your text messages and shit. james brown would have never stood for that shit

still
    1:38
    and
    2:39!!!!!!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Gang Starr were good. PUTS also. I also liked Blackalicious.

• I saw KRS-ONE @ the 930 Club in DC at the time he said he was recording a live album so he was going all out.

• Sunday @ Detroit Electronic Music Fest 2000

Slum Village, Roots, Mos Def

First time I saw SV and Mos Def. Dude was to play the last slot, but was wayyyyyyyyyyy late (like an 30-45 minutes I think). A lot of people started to leave / had left expecting him to not show up -- too bad for them.

De La Soul rocked that shit in 2001 --

Anytime I saw One Be Lo / One Man Army, Binary Star, or Subterraneous Crew it was always nice.

PUTS @ Detroit Contemporary

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    the 3 different times ive seen the Roots are probably the best shows ive ever seen. they gets DOWN!!! Kweli was good, as well as Gangstarr

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    easy.

biggie and craig mack in london, 1995 at the hammersmith palais. big was an unstoppable performer and at one point apologized for taking a sip of water. incredible.

and, when my dad took me and my brother to see PE, run dmc, beasties and ll cool j in 1987 in philly at the troc. it was insane.

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    EPMD last friday night was off the chain!!!

Had quite a few friends who all cosign and are still talking about this!! maybe i shoulda gone....oooops...

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I saw Organized Konfusion, Beatnuts, Souls of Mischief, Common, & Mista Sinista at my community college in 94/95. Organized was my fave but Common put on the best performance. It was pretty epic but only 50 people showed up. That's Aptos, CA for you.

I really enjoyed the Madvillian release party in LA for the Jaylib performance. It was amazing and the crowd gave it up. Dilla said he'd never been received like that before.

Seeing the Roots for the first time is amazing, but it seemed like the same show after a few times.

I was DJing for Spellbinder (ragga mc) once at a warehouse party. Dude rolled a blunt with one hand, rapping about safe smoking, passed it to me, I passed it to the crowd, everybody was jumping up and down, surpised the record didn't skip. Lame next DJ was bugging me to get on so I took longer, as soon as I got off the decks, he ruined the vibe and the cops showed up. That was some good hip-hop music.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the majority of live rap shows I saw were around 1996 to 1999. Right at the end of high school and beginning of college for me. I saw some pretty good ones at the Maritime Hall.

KRS One
    Redman - I took a pretty hard Timberland to the head when he decided to stage dive into the crowd.
    Outkast/Fishbone/Goodie Mob
    Wake Up Show Anniversary - Organized Konfusion, the Roots, and more.

The Krs One show was really good. This was right around the time of I Got Next, so his set was pretty still classic material and some new songs. He has great stage presence.

Kool Keith was one of the worst. Ice T was on stage as well as many other random older posse dudes just doing nothing really. He did Blue Flowers and then moments later yelled "remix" and did the song over, but with a different beat. It was lame.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    When I saw cool keith 3 years ago half way through the set he stopped the music, went back stage and came out with a couple of big coolers.

Inside were 100 or so snap lock bags filled with a box of juice and a piece of KFC chicken. Him and his boys spent the next ten minutes throwing them into the crowd. The crowd then spent the next half hour throwing them at each other. That was pretty entertaining.

But I think he did that "remix" shit too which was quite lame.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Edan put on one of the most entertaining and well thought out shows i have seen.

yeah, I saw him at a tiny little place in SF and it was really enjoyable.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Pete Rock and CL Smooth's last shows at the Jazz Cafe in London before they broke up...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Gangstarr/Nice & Smooth/Masta Ase live at some High school in either Englewood/Teaneck/Newark, N.J. I cant remember....circa 91/92.

• some memorable London gigs

Gravediggaz

ATCQ

J Live

Lord Finesse

Masta Ace

KRS1

BDK

Gangstarr Foundation
    (Hard to Earn Tour)

Ice Cube
    (supported by Kam and Da Lench Mob)

Pharaohe Monche

Edan

• subsub 311 Posts
    atmosphere, looptroop/promoe, the roots, common, ud, aloe blacc, stacy epps, j5,

saian supa crew (!!)

• subsub 311 Posts
    scip to 1:30 to get an idea of the energy:

• subsub 311 Posts
    pete philly & perquisite!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    KRS-One, PUTS, Project Blowed (Rifleman for the most part)

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Roots at the Troc & Tribe at the Electric Factory were probably the best two rap shows I saw.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Naughty By Nature, touring with PE, Latifah and ATCQ, OPP era. Treach just blew Springfield Coliseum away. PE puts on a good. I wish I had seen the Roots back in the day. Cosign on Lifesavas. Caught them last summer and was really impressewd with how well the worked the crowd.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    every year in boston, the city throws a free concert. usually about 3000 ppl come out... from epmd, chubb rock, special ed,slick rick, bdk, nice n smooth, mc lyte, and rakim. nice n smooth DESTROY shows. rakims dj couldnt get eric b for president to play.....outs of nowhere greg nice saves the day and beatboxes for rakim.
    those shows are nuts. this years will be off the hook.

One of those shows was actually the first time I saw Edan, and he destroyed it with that juggling-the-beat-while-rocking-the-mic routine.

Also cosine on Naughty By Nature. They played a free show at UMass while I was there, and I was surprised how much they killed it.

PUTS puts on a great show. Thes borrowed this kid's geek glasses and rocked a song with 'em on.

Ludacris was actually quite good at another show at UMass.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    rakims dj couldnt get eric b for president to play.....outs of nowhere greg nice saves the day and beatboxes for rakim.

Call Greg Nice. I'm sure he can help.