Ballin' Jack Appreciation

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I am probably exposing myself to extreme ridicule, but i just revisited their records and damn if they didn't have some great songs and solid albums.wouldn;t rate them as highly as mandrill or war but they were sort of in that league..will anyone ride for this "tacky" funk band?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

i ride

• i ride

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    HORN ROCK RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    While I've never heard their music, from what I've read I didn't think they were supposed to be another Mandrill or War...I figured they were more like Chicago or Chase.

(I know you're thinking "...whatever," but there is a difference...)

EDIT: the Youtube clip hadn't popped up on the screen when I wrote that...not bad, not bad at all...I don't know if that song was typical of their usual output, but I can deal...I'd have to hear the rest before I bought anything.[/b]

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have the s/t LP, it's good, have never heard anything else by them.

• I like Ballin' Jack. It was an early discovery while I was nibbling around the edges of funk. I found Buzzard Luck/Can't kill nuthin' nuthin' will die.

The cover was intriguing, with the big ol' buzzard grin. But the back was a photo of the band getting down. I said to myself: "these dudes are having a good time."

The record pops onto my turntables on the regular. "You and me," "tellin' lies," and "so do I" are the winners on that LP.

• Options

i ride

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    never gonna let them say I don 't love you!!!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

i ride

Wow, never saw the 45 for that.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    freal...gotta start looking for that.
    found a child is great.
    oh oh ooh ooh oh oh oh oh

daamn, i slept on that "time to relax"
    is that on their s/t?
    im gonna go listen to some ballinjack right now

they got that LP with "the pusher" that has a real original melody and cadence thing going on

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

daamn, i slept on that "time to relax"
    is that on their s/t?

It's on this one. I actually got $30 for it on the Bay.

a youtube comment says they opened for Jimi Hendrix bitd

ha, someone else commented "they played in our back yard back in the day!"

thats some thorough shit

i forgot how dope that opening break is

kinda cluttered, maybe not loopalicious, but hellof a way to start a song, esp when they slow it down seconds later

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    While I've never heard their music, from what I've read I didn't think they were supposed to be another Mandrill or War...I figured they were more like Chicago or Chase.

(I know you're thinking "...whatever," but there is a difference...)

EDIT: the Youtube clip hadn't popped up on the screen when I wrote that...not bad, not bad at all...I don't know if that song was typical of their usual output, but I can deal...I'd have to hear the rest before I bought anything.[/b]

I am surprised you never dragged home a 25 cent copy of this from a flea market:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Hook-Up, as much as I've seen that Different Strokes album in the used stores, I've never been tempted to pick it up. I'm not a fan of everybody on that record (no Poco for me!), although if I saw it in a dumpster, I'd probably try it out.

• does the found a child comped on the different strokes sampler have a different middle breakdown (the part used by young mc))from the album version?

• LapurLapur 60 Posts
    "Hold On" makes me want to funk boogie all night long to the break of dawn.