FUCK 9 to 5's

2»

Comments

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    9 to 5s are felt hardest when your boss is a mangy twisted fuck who likes to play you....

true enough.

and nothin beats a boss who is unqualified to be your boss.

phew, off to my 9-5

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Work for yourself. Then you will work hard 15 hours a day, and it will be more gratifying than the 8 hours you spent half-assing at your last job.

I'm all for hard work, but do it for yourself and pay yourself rather than your boss...

I'm all for that just not found a workable angle yet that I could confidently make into my own business.
    Most things I could think of doing are already stupidly competitive plus I have no money behind me which also makes it hard. I've got ongoing projects but nothing I would be able to give up the day job for just yet.

good looking out to those paying their own wages!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I just got a new 9 to 5 and its the best thing that happened to me in quite a while.
    Before this I was self-employed and that made me frigging lazy. I hung around the house allday getting high and working around 2 or 3 hours a day. It was getting me nowhere.
    So I will gladly get back to this 9 to 5 (which has flexible workhours btw) at a very cool company doing what I like and getting creative and inspired instead of stoned and drunk. And making some good money offcourse.
    I will start out 4 days a week, which will leave me plenty of time to do sideprojects and get used to this new rythm of getting up and getting dressed.

So, dont FUCK but PRAISE 9 to 5's

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Work for yourself. Then you will work hard 15 hours a day, and it will be more gratifying than the 8 hours you spent half-assing at your last job.

I'm all for hard work, but do it for yourself and pay yourself rather than the young boss...

what he said !

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Web developing is what I want to do. Start up on Dreamweaver and move on up.

well you and about 8 zillion others who think they can be a WEB DESINGER and make mad cash.

don't risk it...

i've been doing freeleance graphic desing for 10 years now and believe me it aint all it's cracked up to be.

todays project:

logo for bathhouse

project brief:

"to create a positive friendly atmosphere for men looking to have sex with each other"

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    man my spelling is mad on point today.

that said

fuck a 9 to 5

i've been fortunate to never have a job where i didnt get to make my own hours ...

but the trade off = brokeass 90% of the time

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I'm all for hard work, but do it for yourself and pay yourself rather than the young boss...

what he said !

I gotta say, though, if you can't stand a 9 to 5 because, well, you don't like to work hard, don't go into business for yourself. It is the hardest work you will ever do, most likely, and though fullfilling, there are going to be days when you need to REMIND yourself how fullfilled you are.

Oh, and if you start your own, always remember: cash flow is king[/b]

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How does one become a town planner? But in order to plan towns there has to be places where towns need planning. Shits are far, hot and in the desert.

They don't literally plan a town from scratch. They help with long term growth plans, infrastructure, accomodation of new developments, etc. It could be as boring as analyzing sidewalk flows.

I think there might be educational requirements.

• project brief:

"to create a positive friendly atmosphere for men looking to have sex with each other"

BWAHAHAHA!!!
    PLAESE to be posting whatever you finally come up with, and the throwaways too.

My 9-5 is great. Gives me the $ to do what I want to do in the evenings (socialize, collect records, and run a 9 piece band) and is low stress. Took me a few years to find one this good (mutual fund accountant), but the others I had weren't that much worse. All of these jobs I got just by going to temp and personnel agencies and knowing how to type and use MS word and excel. I never had any schooling in any of the fields I've worked in, just a liberal arts bachelors and a decent GPA.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

i've been fortunate to never have a job where i didnt get to make my own hours ...

but the trade off = brokeass 90% of the time

been there, done that.

fuck being a brokeass.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Land surveying

I just started a job as a land surveyor but I can't begin as my assistants have not arrived with my apparatus. Also, no one in town was expecting me so I had to sleep on the floor last night.

• How does one become a town planner? But in order to plan towns there has to be places where towns need planning. Shits are far, hot and in the desert.

They don't literally plan a town from scratch. They help with long term growth plans, infrastructure, accomodation of new developments, etc. It could be as boring as analyzing sidewalk flows.

I think there might be educational requirements.

Get a masters degree in planning. Different schools have different programs of focus (Urban, Community, Regional, Rural, etc.).

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    i've been doing the 9-5 for 6 or 7 years now and have recently been laid off of my job. Though, I gotta say, it's a huge blessing, because I don't know how much longer I could have taken of that shyte! I too am effing sick of the 9-5 and now it's time to make the moves and stay away from the 9-5 for a minute. Time to finish up that BS degree (sho is bs but it's what some of us gotta do). Not to mention that I'm working to free up some time to travel and hang like my man lebowski. When in fact, i'll most likely be working twice as much on music now.

peas.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Look not that its easy, but if you want to work for yourself the best advice is to plan it out... You may have to work 2 jobs for awhile (day job, and what you want to do on your own), but honestly if you have a good plan and actually stick to it, you ahve a good chance of making it work. Most people I know that go off on their own they either have a great idea that makes enough to sustain them right away, or they go for slow growth and continually build up their self employment job while working their 9-5. Unless you are filhty rich (then you wouldn't have a 9-5) or are a bit further in your career where you can do something like take a mortgage on your house as collaterl etc. then ya just gotta grind.

sorry there is one other option: rich friends/family members/investors...

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts
    i've been doing the 9-5 for 6 or 7 years now and have recently been laid off of my job. Though, I gotta say, it's a huge blessing, because I don't know how much longer I could have taken of that shyte! I too am effing sick of the 9-5 and now it's time to make the moves and stay away from the 9-5 for a minute. Time to finish up that BS degree (sho is bs but it's what some of us gotta do). Not to mention that I'm working to free up some time to travel and hang like my man lebowski. When in fact, i'll most likely be working twice as much on music now.

peas.

Same here...except I am gonna quit now. Move on to something that will be good for me in the future. That shit was getting me nowhere quick. Peace y'all.